what goal weight should someone 5"4 set

Options
I am a large frame atheletic type 5"4 inches tall with solid packed muscles. I wanted to know what amount of pounds would be approriate for me? I am a size 14 and weigh 186 pounds so if I dropped to 135 pounds what size would I expect to see.

I want to set a realistic goal weight for myself rather than aim for say 125 pounds and it not fit with my body type.

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"4 and 125lbs, size 8-10 if that helps? I'd say your goal weight would put you in a size 10-12
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    whats your bf% that will tell alot about your estimated goal weight.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    thanks my goal size is to be a 8/10 so I should probably aim for the same weight you are?? this helps me a lot.

my body fat percentage is 20%
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    thanks my goal size is to be a 8/10 so I should probably aim for the same weight you are?? this helps me a lot.

my body fat percentage is 20%

How do you know your BF is 20%? I'm asking because that's low for a woman that's 185 lbs. I don't doubt that you have a muscular physique, but that's low. If it really is 20%, there is no way that you could ever weigh 125 without losing a ton of muscle.

185 x .20 = 148 lbs. That's your current lean weight. Honestly I would get a more accurate BF reading and go from there.

I'm 5'5", just under 150 and about 27% BF (according to averaging out several on-line calculators). My goal is about 135 and 18-20% BF. I wear a size 8/10 right now. When I get down to goal, I'll be about a 4/6 (I've been there before).
  • fightininggirl
    Options
    do you know what site to go to get an accurate bf reading
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at a chart that shows a healthy weight range for your height? They're not entirely accurate, but it's at least an idea.
  • flying_inside
    flying_inside Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    *takes back her comment, read too fast*
  • mamawoz
    mamawoz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 184 lbs and in a size 12 now. Size is a tough measure because it depends on the designer, make of your clothing. In evening wear dresses, I'm more of a 14. Levis its a 12 for sure. I'm well packed and gain weight all over, so its evenly distributed and won't show up on sizes as quickly. I just look "big". When I got down to just over 140 and was doing a lot of weight training, I got down to a 6/8 size. I don't know if that helps. Weight training vs. cardio does make a huge difference in your body proportions vs. weight on scale.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" also. Last summer when I was averaging 135-138lbs I was wearing a 4-6. I'm medium framed. When I started losing weight I was around 180-185 and wore a size 12-14.

I want to get back down to 132-135 and comfortably fit in my 4's again.
  • Bradiesue42
    Bradiesue42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i am 5'3 and weight 129 and i am a 4/6. my goal weight is 120-125ish...
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Start with a goal, maybe 135 and see how you feel once you get there. You can always lose more! I made it to my goal and realized I needed to drop another 5, no biggie :wink:
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body type, bf%, how the fat is actually distributed, and all that good stuff. You gotta kind of get there and see. I'm 5'4" medium frame 125 lbs. straight up and down (no waist) with broad shoulders. I wear a size 4 pants and medium shirts. I'm basically happy with my body right now, but I'd like a smaller belly. I'm having my trainer take my body fat % next week probably so I don't know that. I don't feel the online calculators are very accurate for me because I have no waist and pretty much all my fat lies in my lower belly.
  • fightininggirl
    Options
    I got it. I went to medindia. net and it told me for my large frame my goal weight needs to be 136 pounds. because of my large frame type it will put me a size 8-10 for me. perfect
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and a half and weigh 150. I am a size 10. You'll find people here that are a 10 at 170 pounds and a 10 at 130 pounds, so sizing isn't really accurate. My goal is 135. I have a medium frame.
  • kslibbin
    kslibbin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and in a size 4. I have a muffin top though I am trying to lose. I cannot go up in jeans size because then the jeans do not fit my butt because I do not have one.. it's flat as a board and I have no hips and thin legs. Its just muffin tops from pregnancies.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think the only way you can realistically figure out what your goal weight should be is during the process of actually losing weight.

Body types are so different. I am 5'4, started at 180--size 10-12. Now I am 147 lbs and a size 6. When I first started I thought 135 was the ideal goal weight until I reached 150lbs and was a size 6. If I lost another 15 lbs i would be a size 4, maybe a 2 ins some things. I am already a size small in shirts and even some of those are too big. I dont want to get any smaller than what I am now ( maybe end up at 142). I just want to tone up and reach my glory days of firm thighs and have a cut up tummy again. I can still achive that with my current weight range without looking scrawny.

I have a medium frame/ truly curvy---and that is not a polite way of saying fat :tongue: It seriously depends on your body type. Lose the first 15-30 lbs then see where you want to wind up from there.
  • TKsunshine1
    TKsunshine1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 141 pounds.

BMI is: 23.5

Body mass index (BMI) is measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women.

BMI Categories:
    •Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    •Overweight = 25-29.9
    •Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Go to http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm to calulate your BMI if you don't have a scale that does it for you..
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 116 and wear a size 8 in banana republic petite pants. The size might be a little smaller for regular size pants and might be a 6. I have wide hips, so my pants size is big compared to most other people at my height and weight. At my highest weight of 140, I was a size 12.

I really don't think you can judge what size you will be based on other people though. Why not just lose weight and see what weight you wind up happiest with?
  • fightininggirl
    Options
    my bmi is 31.92
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It really varies so much per person, as is already evident by the replies to this thread. I think I was around the same size as you at that weight (a 14 at around 185) and also consider myself to have a large frame. At 5'4" I'm into a size 10 now at around 162 pounds. I can't see myself ever getting to 135, though, lol. I think I have too much muscle to weigh that low.