1300 calories too low for a guy?

Options
I started logging 2 days ago. So far I've been eating on average, 1300 calories. I make sure that to meet the daily recommended value of each food groups(vegetables, fruits, grains etc...) and eat plenty of protein(upwards to 90grams). Even given all this, is my caloric intake too low? I'm currently 314lbs, 6'1" and 19 years old. I have a lot to loose, so I'm not aiming for 2lbs a week. I personally feel that this is something thrown around like "all carbs are bad" was a few years ago, as I've seen many starting at around my weight loosing more. I'm mostly worried about loosing muscle, I'll start strength training soon. I do not feel hungry at all. Should I still aim for a higher caloric intake?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: Yes, too low.

Eating lower amounts of calories for long periods of time can suppress your appetite, although you say that you've only been at it for two days. Lots of people say that feeling hungry is not a good trigger for how much you should be eating.

There are lots of great posts for calculating how much you should be eating and why you should be eating all of your calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Dude, its too low. Eating at that amount will only hurt your metabolism and slow down weight loss. I personally think you should start at 2500 which I think some would even say is too low. You're also about to start strength training soon as I read in your post then you will be needing the extra calories to aid your energy levels and metabolism to still be up high while losing weight. I'm just a 5'7 dude and even if I put my settings at sedentary and 2 lbs loss a week I don't reach eating 1300. With your height and age, I think its better to eat more than 1300.

I'm currently eating at 2220 cal a day but my goal intake is at 2500. At 2220 a day with a 3 day split heavy lifting and cardio on off days with a full body workout on Saturdays, I'm still losing almost a pound every week even.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    While I'm not a doctor I think I can safely say that at 6'+ 19 years old you're eating way too few calories. With so much to lose you can probably get away with it at first but as you lose weight you'll likely stall.

I think you're right to start strength right away though to help preserve the muscle you have. Check out the in place of a road map spreadsheet / group here. That will help you get an estimate of your BMR and TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • danceym
    danceym Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is 1300 calories what MFP told you to eat? It does seem low for a guy.
  • ericmooney69
    Options
    Ihave a lot to loose, so I'm not aiming for 2lbs a week.

If that means you are aiming for MORE than 2lbs a week, I highly recommend you change your mentality. The way I see it, the two biggest reasons why people fail....

1) They don't change their diets. If someone's focus is simply limiting calories to say 1800 per day but eat the same old junk, most of the time that isn't going to last. I assume you are eating the wrong foods and too much of it. Two things that need to be fixed, not just one.

2) Impatience. Lack of patience will kill you (figuratively and literally). Imagine yourself at 30 years old......you're sitting there looking at old photos of your fat self....at that point would it really matter that it took you until you were 21 years old to lose the 100+ pounds???

Take it slow. Make PERMANENT changes. Be patient. It is as simple as that.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'5" 222 pounds, 42 years old. I tried eating at around 1500 to 1800 calories at one point and my weight loss stopped.....I now eat around 2300 a day and even when I do minimal exercise and lose pretty steadily every month. I can eat around 2800 to 2900 a day without minimal exercise and maintain my weight.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm a male, 5-7" and over 50 years old.
    When my doctor had me eat 1400/day for a couple months I lost almost 3 lbs/week.
    For your size/age you can eat a ton more than I did and still lose. Try 2000/day and see how that goes for a couple weeks.
  • mohamedkt
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I'm going to try to boost my caloric intake to more than 2000. The thing is that I also have GERD which is irritated if I eat too much in one sitting.
  • mohamedkt
    Options

I set that using the IPhone App.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    While MyFitnessPal is an excellent tool for tracking and stuff, its' math is majorly flawed. It goes on averages. Go do the road map another poster linked you to - it's far more accurate.
  • DonC2013
    Options
    way too low
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Women shouldn't go under 1200 and men shouldn't go under 1500... in general.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I'm going to try to boost my caloric intake to more than 2000. The thing is that I also have GERD which is irritated if I eat too much in one sitting.
    Eat lots of little meals/snacks...You don't have to eat 700 cals in one sitting...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options

I set that using the IPhone App.

This tool is only as good as the input data. Read those two threads that are linked above. You'll get much better numbers using reasonable input points.