protein question.....

Options
I am honestly scared to ask this but I want to know before I go downstairs to eat my lunch...

I know how calories work and I'm within my calorie range but I'm eating way more protein than I need too today.. its showing a -92 (go look I have already plugged in my day's food) and I'm just wondering if i should scale it back? I drink nearly nothing but water (at least 3 liters a day) but I'm worried that by eating too much protein I'm disrupting the loss on the caloric side.

I'm just a young woman looking for a straight answer.. is too much protein bad for weight loss without exercising and weight lifting (Which I plan on starting a weight lifting routine after I start college on the 22nd)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. MFP sets protein limits low anyway. Stay within your calories and you'll be good.
  • JensQi
    JensQi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Dont sweat it like our GF has said, you see my profile, fopr me I do better with higher protein count and less calories. One Of my friends said to me just watch Calorie intake... :heart: :drinker: Cheers, Jen
  • FitnessWithaTwist
    Options
    The more you work out the more protein you're body/muscles need to maintain that strength and muscle. the lesser you work out the lesser you need that protein. Taking alot of protein wont benefit you if you're not working out alot. You'll just gain fat or **** it out. Peace
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Nope you'll be fine. Calories is what affects weight loss.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I dont think 8oz of chicken has 92 grams of protein in it brah
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, MFP sets protein macros too low. When I joined, I reset my macros to 40% carbs/ 30% protein/ 30% fat.
  • Kerri683
    Options
    They had protein set to something like 15% of total calories on my page. I thought this was way too low and actually changed the percentages. Protein helps you feel full!! The more lean protein you get the better! (within calorie limits)
    Good luck!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    *THIS! That diary entry is off!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    The only time too much protein is a concern, I think, is for people with kidney problems. Otherwise, enjoy the protein and keep drinking lots of water, as you have been.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Yeah whatever person entered that chicken into the database really screwed a bunch of people!!! There is NOT 92g of protein in 8oz of chicken!

1oz of chicken has 9g of protein according to: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2

9x8= 72. Also, as the above posters have said, MFP sets protein limits extremely low! I changed my diary settings to allow me 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I think this is a very good ratio for people looking to lose weight and lean up... as it was recommended by my good friend and fellow nutritionist for me to follow for a competition diet.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the information. I fixed the chicken as best as I could... Now to go eat it and decide on how I want to start working out..