Need Running Advice/Motivation

Options
I've signed up for a 3K Spartan race at the beginning of June and a 9K at the beginning of September. (Spartan races are like Tough Mudders -- running and obstacles.) I'm in pretty good shape and I love and do plenty of all sorts of cardio, but I HATE running. Haven't done it in years and did very very little way back when. But, with the races coming up, I must start getting my running chops on.

What brand/type sneakers do you love? I tend toward plantar fasciitis and shin splints -- any advice? Have you gone from not love to big love or running and how did you get there? Treadmill or outdoor track or both? (Alas, I live in a city so there's no trail running anywhere even remotely close.) I have an iPhone -- do you use a pedometer app that you like? And seriously, how can I motivate myself to run when there's so much other stuff I actually like to do?

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The first thing I'd do is look up the c25k program. Took me from a very non-runner (couldn't run a BLOCK) to a moderate runner (can do a 5K pretty decently). Now I'm working in upping my mileage.

Shoes: Get ye to a good running store and get fitted for good shoes. Everyone is different. I have PF in my right foot and have Saucony Pro Grid 9s and love them! But I need new ones soon, so who knows if that's what I'll go with the second time around?

I run solely outdoors. I don't have a gym membership or access to a treadmill and honestly...not sure I'd want to! I'm sad that with winter I can't get out more than once a week, but once spring hits, I'm looking forward to pounding some pavement!
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Shin Splints is usually a sign of heel striking. I would go down to your local running shop and get fitted. One pair of shoes that work for one person may not work for you.

See if they also offer some kind of good form running class, this showed me how to run properly, once I did that, running became fun and pain. (also had shin splints).

There are lots of free running apps for the iphone, I use runkeeper and ismoothrun, there is also the nike+.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to a running store to be fitted for a shoe.

I used to HATE running. In high school, I was always cutting class on mile days. I now love it. I love the feeling of accomplishing a goal. I ran farther and faster, etc.

I don't like running on a treadmill, I feel off balance and nauseous at times. I prefer outdoors, plus I love seeing things outside.

I use mapmyrun to track my time and distance. I have a HRM for calorie burns.

As far as motivation, set small goals. You'll feel great as you slowly achieve them. Also, I don't have it yet but I've been meaning to get the Zombies, Run! app on my iPhone. I've heard nothing but great things about it so you should look into it.
  • speedgoose
    Options
    I feel for you with the plantar fasciitis and shin splints, I've had them my entire life! try to be consistent with the surface you train on. It'll make them less intense, possibly even go away (not for me, though).

For a running app on an Iphone, check out the Nike Plus running app. It's free, calculates your distance, calories, pace, has music you can play or play your own, and you can keep a log of all your runs. It's pretty cool.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Shin Splints is usually a sign of heel striking. I would go down to your local running shop and get fitted. One pair of shoes that work for one person may not work for you.

See if they also offer some kind of good form running class, this showed me how to run properly, once I did that, running became fun and pain. (also had shin splints).

There are lots of free running apps for the iphone, I use runkeeper and ismoothrun, there is also the nike+.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Get fitted and attend a form clinic.

Good luck!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I did a Rebel Race (similar to Spartan Race). Honestly, in my opinion, obstacle races are a LOT easier than just straight running. The obstacles give you a chance to catch your breath and get your heart rate down a bit. I'm sure you'll do great! I use Irunner in combination with my HRM. As far as shoes go....I got mine from the ghetto store, pretty sure they're fake Nike's lmfao so I'm not much help in that department. Good luck!
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started running August of 2012 after a friend begged me to sign up for a 5K with him. I have always hated running with a passion, so I really thought there was no hope for me. I looked up 5K training plans and found the Couch 2 5K program so I downloaded the app on my Android (they have it for iPhone too) and started it. It eases you into running... and if you are already in good shape, you can skip weeks to where you think you should start. You can play any music app or playlist while it is going as well. The app really made all the difference for me. If you'd rather have more of a recording rather than training app, I recommend Endomondo or Nike Plus. About 2 weeks in, I was having shin pain so I went to Finish Line and got fitted for Brookes running shoes. The pain never came back! I absolutely love them. I'm not sure about other brands but all I can say is get fitted and invest in a good pair! You won't regret it, especially with 2 races coming up. I only do my runs outside and cannot imagine doing them on a treadmill (probably a lot more boring with less distractions). With time, I think you will learn to enjoy running. It is very liberating, there's nothing quite like it.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Totally worth the money to go to a running store and have your gait checked and consult with someone about what type of running you do. I'm on my 4th pair of shoes since I began running a few years ago. My first three pair were Saucony (which I was buying at a big box sporting good place) but my most recent pair is Mizuno and I am much happier and more comfortable as I increase my distance. I've heard good things about Brooks from trail runners, also.

I run street and treadmill, also training for a road 10k in four months. I don't use apps because I hate carrying stuff when I run on paths. I do check the distance and time, however. So oldschool. :wink:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've gone from "absolutely detest" to "this is OK really".

I run outside - I live on the edge of a city and can run on quiet roads without too much trouble.

I use MapMyRun, which is brilliant for recording all the stats of my runs.

I run with my dog (multi-tasking!) and I plug in my iPod shuffle.

I've done a couple of 10ks last year, and training for my first half marathon this year.
  • Kbeatty32
    Kbeatty32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that you need to get fitted. My husband and I swear by Pearl Izumi's. Love them!
  • Katie5961
    Katie5961 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I was going to say this exact thing :) Personally I love asics but other people hate them. Everybody's foot and stride is different, so the same shoe won't work for everyone. I had a problem with shin splints too and it turned out I was rolling my feet and needed a stability shoe.

For tracking I use MapMyRun.com.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I went from hating running to total and utter addict in a single run of 1.8 miles!!!!. I joined a beginners groups and ran with other people; for me, it made all the difference. Far less boring, and people to pace you too. Dedicated non-runner as of last July, now training for first Half Marathon in April.

And yes, get shoes fitted, it does make a difference.
  • Dean33
    Dean33 Posts: 4
    Options
    Local running club or group. If you can get in with a good group with similar interests it becomes less about the running and more about being active and enjoying yourself with friends. Also very good at the beginning to help keep you motivated and sticking to your running schedule to get over the hating running stage and to the point where it becomes part of your routine/life.
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO9uRc74-ek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSPnV6HeMx0

Some motivational vids bout running. The second one is really good!!! Hope you enjoy. I began really running last year after completing Insanity and I have been hooked ever since. Nothing like escaping the worries of the day with a nice run!!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for such great advice and positive support! I'm definitely going to get shoes fitted -- I'd hate to invest in good shoes and have them not work for me. Terrific advice. Are there any other chain stores in addition to Finish Line that are reliable?

And thanks for the reminder on C25K. I've seen it floated about on the forums and it sounds like a great way to start. I do much better when I have a structured plan to follow. I can start there and then hop onto the Spartan training plan once I've got my running well in place.

Nice to see there are folks who've gone from detest to love. Life is too short to detest. I'd much rather love!

SO appreciate you sharing your wisdom. :flowerforyou: And if anyone has anything else to add, please feel free!
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Make sure you pick a place you love to run. I love going more into nature then just a park. Last time I went running I saw baby owls playing and rabbits and animals all around. It makes it so relaxing! I hate running at parks or places with a billion people.
  • PaulaJPatrick
    PaulaJPatrick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am another convert, hated running, but I am enjoying it now. I purchased my shoes from Fleet Feet, they are really good and also offer training and running help.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for such great advice and positive support! I'm definitely going to get shoes fitted -- I'd hate to invest in good shoes and have them not work for me. Terrific advice. Are there any other chain stores in addition to Finish Line that are reliable?

And thanks for the reminder on C25K. I've seen it floated about on the forums and it sounds like a great way to start. I do much better when I have a structured plan to follow. I can start there and then hop onto the Spartan training plan once I've got my running well in place.

Nice to see there are folks who've gone from detest to love. Life is too short to detest. I'd much rather love!

SO appreciate you sharing your wisdom. :flowerforyou: And if anyone has anything else to add, please feel free!

I hate 'selling' stores, but as someone mentioned Fleet Feet, I'll add my 2 cents.

Many Fleet Feet stores have what they call No Boundaries running program. I started a year ago, not being able to really run, and now I'm training for a half marathon. It's an AWESOME program. I literally learned to run! Thought I knew how, but I was so wrong.

Also, with Fleet Feet, if you guy shoes, and then start having pains, discomfot, shoes arent working for you, they will gladly exchange them for ones that will work. Not sure if ALL do this, but like everyone mentioned above, excellent idea to get fitted, have them watch you walk, etc. It's crucial to get good shoes.

Im thinking other high shoe stores will do the same, but i don't know for sure.

Good luck!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Make sure you pick a place you love to run. I love going more into nature then just a park. Last time I went running I saw baby owls playing and rabbits and animals all around. It makes it so relaxing! I hate running at parks or places with a billion people.

I'm with you! I'd like nothing better. Unfortunately, at least for pleasant running, I live in a super urban area. But I will run the parks and waterfront rather than the streets, for sure.
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The first thing I'd do is look up the c25k program. Took me from a very non-runner (couldn't run a BLOCK) to a moderate runner (can do a 5K pretty decently). Now I'm working in upping my mileage.

Shoes: Get ye to a good running store and get fitted for good shoes. Everyone is different. I have PF in my right foot and have Saucony Pro Grid 9s and love them! But I need new ones soon, so who knows if that's what I'll go with the second time around?

I run solely outdoors. I don't have a gym membership or access to a treadmill and honestly...not sure I'd want to! I'm sad that with winter I can't get out more than once a week, but once spring hits, I'm looking forward to pounding some pavement!

THIS^^^

I was you a couple of months ago. I started the C25K program. I went to a running store and got fitted for the proper shoes for my feet. Then I just followed the plan. I bought some cold gear and ran even when it was 17 degrees and snowing. That said, I am still running, still training and will do my first 5K on Feb 9th, Then one on March 2nd, and finally my Spartan Sprint on April 27th in Indiana.