This seems wrong, but the math says it's right

Options
I was thinking this morning about how I got where I am, did a little math and came to a startling conclusion.

I realize that this is a bit of over-simplification. I am 51 years old, and over the last 3 decades I have gained about 90 pounds starting from a healthy weight. Assuming that this has all been steady weight gain (which is true for the most part), that means that I have gained 3 pounds per year. Since it takes 4000 dietary calories to gain a pound of fat, this means that on average I have consumed an extra 12,000 calories per year. Since there are 365 days in a year, this equates to approximately 33 calories per day for the last 3 decades. This is about a teaspoon of creamer for coffee, or the difference between walking from the closest parking spot vs. the farthest spot at work.

If I had made a few simple changes starting 3 decades ago, I could have maintained a healthy weight all of this time. Fortunately, mostly due to good genetics, my health is still great at this point and I can correct the mistakes of the last 30 years.

My conclusions from this exercise:

1. A few simple changes to my lifestyle can have a huge impact over the long haul.
2. I need to be diligent in tracking my weight and diet since a quarter of a pound of weight gain from one month to the next is not very noticeable, but it adds up over time.
3. Patience and Time are my friends if I am making good choices.

I have lost about 8 pounds of that 90 pounds since the first week of December 2012. I am making much better choices about what I eat. I am starting to feel like I can do this for the long haul, since I have found that if I make good choices for what I eat, I am not feeling hungry.

Replies

• jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    wow, pretty eye-opening when you put it like that. Congrats on your realization and on your progress. you're off to a really great start! :)
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I guess I've gone thru about the same progression. Thanks for doing the math. It actually makes me feel quite hopeful about what's going to happen after I get down to my goal weight.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this morning about how I got where I am, did a little math and came to a startling conclusion.

I realize that this is a bit of over-simplification. I am 51 years old, and over the last 3 decades I have gained about 90 pounds starting from a healthy weight. Assuming that this has all been steady weight gain (which is true for the most part), that means that I have gained 3 pounds per year. Since it takes 4000 dietary calories to gain a pound of fat, this means that on average I have consumed an extra 12,000 calories per year. Since there are 365 days in a year, this equates to approximately 33 calories per day for the last 3 decades. This is about a teaspoon of creamer for coffee, or the difference between walking from the closest parking spot vs. the farthest spot at work.

If I had made a few simple changes starting 3 decades ago, I could have maintained a healthy weight all of this time. Fortunately, mostly due to good genetics, my health is still great at this point and I can correct the mistakes of the last 30 years.

My conclusions from this exercise:

1. A few simple changes to my lifestyle can have a huge impact over the long haul.
    2. I need to be diligent in tracking my weight and diet since a quarter of a pound of weight gain from one month to the next is not very noticeable, but it adds up over time.
    3. Patience and Time are my friends if I am making good choices.

I have lost about 8 pounds of that 90 pounds since the first week of December 2012. I am making much better choices about what I eat. I am starting to feel like I can do this for the long haul, since I have found that if I make good choices for what I eat, I am not feeling hungry.

This is actually very common. Some people even gain at a slower pace than that over a long period of time. Nobody "wakes up overnight" much larger. You are absolutely right about small changed making all the difference in the long run. Congratulations on still being healthy and making the needed changes to improve your fitness further!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're correct. It does seem wrong. I keep trying to find a flaw in your math! I'll be very interested to read what people have to say about this.
    Congratulations on your great start, btw.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Welllll...weight loss or gain is not linear. I am sure there were years you gained more, ate more, etc.. I don't think the little extra creamer in your coffee per day is what did it. :wink:

This is the way I look at it. Over the years, we have certain events that are more indulgent, i.e. holidays or vacations. I have seen myself gain 3-5 pounds from a week long cruise (mostly water weight, but still). If I don't buckle down after said event, and make sure I get back to normal, I can only imagine it would start snowballing from there. I do think that's what happens to the majority of folks out there, life happens, and you just don't have the time/motivation/desire to get back up to snuff.

I think I have been successful over the years in not gaining weight since after my kids were born and I lost the weight (over 8 years now) because I am ALWAYS accountable. I maintain a commitment to my fitness and healthy eating year long, sans the couple times per year I let "loose" so to speak. I believe that is the key - consistency and accountability. That, and being at least somewhat active.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Sounds like you have the right mindset (and you acknowledge your missteps) which is really important. Move on! Cheers to a healthy life!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's worse than you suspected, a lb of fat is about 3,500 cal , so a 3lb per year gain is only a 28 cal per day surplus.....(I know, it's splitting hairs! :happy: )

The other aspect to this is that it's much easier to stay in shape (assuming you're active in your youth) than to get back into shape when you realize what a train wreck your body is (starting to play soccer again at 50 was a very humbling experience.....)

The good news is that as long as you're on this side of the sod it's never too late to make positive changes.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Very true, and well said!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It's worse than you suspected, a lb of fat is about 3,500 cal , so a 3lb per year gain is only a 28 cal per day surplus.....(I know, it's splitting hairs! :happy: )

The other aspect to this is that it's much easier to stay in shape (assuming you're active in your youth) than to get back into shape when you realize what a train wreck your body is (starting to play soccer again at 50 was a very humbling experience.....)

The good news is that as long as you're on this side of the sod it's never too late to make positive changes.

"on this side of the sod"....I like that :).
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That is some startling math! You're attitude about it is great though and I think it's wonderful that you're pointing out that the little things make a huge difference. Now all of us youngins can keep that in mind every day when we're struggling to find motivation. Thanks and good luck on your journey - I'm sure you'll kick some butt!
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see it put that way. I read the Daily Mail and whenever there is an article about someone's amazing weight loss, there are always commenters saying how you shouldn't be applauded for losing weight cause you made yourself into a "fattie" to begin with. As though one morning you just woke up and said, "I'm going to gain 100 lbs starting today." It's the little things that add up for most of us. I just did the math for myself and discovered I have had an extra 95 calories per day for the last decade to get where I am. That's less than a soda or one of those oh so popular "100 calorie snacks." Sad to think all I had to do was take a walk now and then or just put down that small bag of popcorn.
  • mpenner61
    Options
    I guess I've gone thru about the same progression. Thanks for doing the math. It actually makes me feel quite hopeful about what's going to happen after I get down to my goal weight.

I agree.

This little math exercise also helps me wrap my head around the dicotomy that I can point to a host of evidence that suggests that I tend to be a very self-disciplined driven person, but the ample evidence in the mirror says that I am self-indulgent and lazy.

BTW, I love your profile picture and it motivated me to post one of my own that reminds that one of the big reasons that I am on this quest is so that I can continue to do some of the things that I love, but need a little cooperation from my body in order to do them.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Holy crapola!!!!!!

Considering my motto is "If 50 calories will undo everything, then I've probably got bigger problems" Maybe not! Geez this has me thinking! Thank you for the insight!
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that as you gained weight, it took more calories to maintain it. But I like your math.
    I remember gaining weight when I was 30 and realizing that all I had changed in my diet was a fancy, sweet coffee every morning. I cut it out and lost the weight. Oh for those days again!
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow ! Very interesting perspective. After reading this I've calculated my own (using 3500 calories per pound). Mine is about 38 cals per day for the past 10 years. Thanks for sharing -- this is insightful.
  • sandylee27
    sandylee27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Gee! I need to cut back on that creamer! My own weight gain is very comparable to yours! Congratulations on your 8 pound loss!
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Your calculations are correct. My WW teacher told me that a biscuit a day does the same thing.

Goes to show the importance of exercise.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    what a great perspective!! good luck to you in your weight loss journey!

and always take the stairs ! lol
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    It's interesting but flawed. If you ACTUALLY only overate by 38 calories per day you would not likely gain at all. The human body is incredibly adaptive and is rather good at maintaining homeostasis; however, it is the periods of significant overeating that have likely done it. 2-5 pounds gained from Thanksgiving till Christmas and not lost...that sort of thing.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I did the math too. I gained 65 pounds in 8 years (terrible) which comes out at about 80 calories a day. That isn't much when you think about it but it really packs on the weight. I have been here since July and I have lost 19 pounds. I am on my way to a healthier me.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It's interesting but flawed. If you ACTUALLY only overate by 38 calories per day you would not likely gain at all. The human body is incredibly adaptive and is rather good at maintaining homeostasis; however, it is the periods of significant overeating that have likely done it. 2-5 pounds gained from Thanksgiving till Christmas and not lost...that sort of thing.

I agree with this. We all have a maintenance 'range'. If I eat a little more, I just bounce a little more. If I eat a little less, I just sit a little more. However, my body can't bounce enough to make up for going 100s over for days on end...