New- started the 30 day shred today

Options
Hi!
I found this website when I was doing a search about Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I've read so many success stories and I am excited to finally get started.
Having read many of the reviews and preparing for a brutal session, I kept a quart of water close by, did 10 minutes of static stretching before I started the workout and had my towel handy.
Honestly, the level 1 felt like a nice warm up, but not much of a workout, so I did it 2X back to back, that felt like a good workout to me and a great starting place.
Several years ago I was an avid jogger and cross trained with step aerobics. After a sports injury that took me out of commission for several months, I hit a training plateau and gained 15lbs. I eventually gave up trying, but now in my mid forties I'm determined to get back in shape.
I am an avid equestrian and I have a young horse in Dressage training and work with him several times I week. It is a full body workout and I attribute that exercise and regular walking with my ability to cope with level one fairly easily. For the next 5 days I plan to do level 1 back to back and then hopefully both level 1 and level 2 back to back for 10 days and progress from there.
I was impressed with how vulnerable and honest people are about there weight an weight loss goals. It takes some courage to post pictures.

Replies

• jackieleannebowman
    jackieleannebowman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started the video as well - I am on Day 2 of it actually. I definitely wasn't able to do it back to back like you, but wasn't totally drained :) I like the work-out as it is quick and intense and I need that, as between work and kid not a whole lot time! We'll see how the rest of it goes, I am worried, 10 days of each video may be a bit repetivitive....
  • alejandrajoy193
    Options
    I started the shred before over the summer, but didn't finish because I found it too repetitive! I am trying it again though, because of the great results i've seen others achieve and because its only 20 minutes. I do it along with turbofire and yoga to improve flexibility :) feel free to add me!
  • pig2twig1992
    Options
    just this minute completed day 1 level 1! Loved it!
  • dehere98
    Options
    Ha! After doing level 1 back to back I am pretty stiff and sore today. Mostly my knees are tender. I kept a mirror propped up next to the couch so I could check my form while lungeing and squatting. Today i'm just going to do level 1 one time. :)
    Enjoyed reading the responses- please keep sharing about your progress, it is encouraging.
  • Freedom125
    Freedom125 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm an equestrian too! I'm working with a mare on basic dressage while I wait for my coming-3 year old filly to be old enough to start (in May, yay!). She'll start in dressage, but my goal is to try cross country as she gets older, so we'll see what she loves. It sure is a total body workout! I had a lesson two days ago and I'm still sore in my legs, abs, and shoulders.

My filly is actually one of my major motivators for losing weight - I refuse to get on her until I'm low enough that I know I don't need to worry about doing any damage to her development. She's not your typical dressage horse, she's just a little thing at 14.2hh, so I have a LONG way to go before I can ride her. I want to be well under 20% of her weight.

I've started the 30DS before but never stuck with it for too long. I find if I try to do too much all at once (eating properly, working out a ton, etc.) I get burnt out and give up. This time around I'm trying to take it slow and focus on riding for now, I'll add in extra strength training when most of my excess fat is gone.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • dehere98
    Options
    Freedom125 good for you for wanting to lose weight for your filly. Many folks believe horses were created for their enjoyment and are to be used like montorcycles and sailboats. Not! They are feeling, breathing, sensitive animals that feel discomfort just as much as we do, Kudos to you. What breed is your filly?

Completed day two of Shred level 1- did not repeat this time, I was ready for a break.
    Took my measurements this morning:
    Bust- 37.5
    Waist 30
    Hips 37.5
  • ImagineAWorldLikeThat
    Options
    I own this DVD; I started off with No More Trouble Zones (the 45-50 minute workout) and it was too much for me.

I'll have to start the 30 Day Shred for the first time soon too!
  • dehere98
    Options
    For those of you who started the shred recently- hows it going??
    I'm on day 6- longing to do something with a long slow warm up. My muscles are really sore, they don't feel truly warmed up during the routine- just tight.
    Tomorrow I'm going to do a yoga warm up prior to Jillians routine.
  • trina_dawn85
    Options
    i really liked 30 day shred when i finished with that dvd. i go her ripped in 30 and i love that so much i did it twice. loved the results i seen with both dvds
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred it great!! The first day you do it, be ready for your knees to buckle and you're going to feel like you're going to die afterward! It's great!! I did it this past summer and doing it again now!
  • dehere98
    Options
    Lamos1 the first day was not hard for me, in fact I did level 1 two times back to back. (surprised myself)
    I was sore day 2 and have been sticking 'just to the routine.' :)
    It is definitely a challenge to do this every day. I've also adjusted my eating habits. I feel good about my progress, just getting a little tired which is to be expected, right!
  • dustycaravan
    dustycaravan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I tried to do insanity and 30DS at the same time a couple months ago. I did about 15 days and lost 10lbs, then I fell off the wagon and gained it all back plus 10!

This time I am reallllly watching my caloric intake, and doing 30DS and 10,000 steps a day long term.

Today I am on DAY 2 of 30DS... OUCH it hurts to move, but I have to stop making excuses, I will power through it and make adjustments accordingly!

good luck to all!
  • cosmic0074
    cosmic0074 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just started yesterday, and OW does my calves hurt! :frown: But does not hurt enough to skip :tongue: I'm just gonna have to stretch even longer before I start this evening. Anyone who just started, feel free to add me !
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I found this website when I was doing a search about Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I've read so many success stories and I am excited to finally get started.
    Having read many of the reviews and preparing for a brutal session, I kept a quart of water close by, did 10 minutes of static stretching before I started the workout and had my towel handy.
    Honestly, the level 1 felt like a nice warm up, but not much of a workout, so I did it 2X back to back, that felt like a good workout to me and a great starting place.
    Several years ago I was an avid jogger and cross trained with step aerobics. After a sports injury that took me out of commission for several months, I hit a training plateau and gained 15lbs. I eventually gave up trying, but now in my mid forties I'm determined to get back in shape.
    I am an avid equestrian and I have a young horse in Dressage training and work with him several times I week. It is a full body workout and I attribute that exercise and regular walking with my ability to cope with level one fairly easily. For the next 5 days I plan to do level 1 back to back and then hopefully both level 1 and level 2 back to back for 10 days and progress from there.
    I was impressed with how vulnerable and honest people are about there weight an weight loss goals. It takes some courage to post pictures.

Hi! Welcome to the site, I ride too. Mostly gaited. I'm right in the middle of 30DS. I thought that Lv 1 was too easy too until I woke up the next day. My knees were aching. I think with all my riding, I already have strong legs but obviously hadn't been using the muscles right above my knee caps. Add me as friend if you want and Happy Trails!
  • triciaparenteau
    Options
    I just completed day 4 of Level 1 of 30 Day Shred. I'm feeling great! I'm determined to stick it out for the whole month (minus a poorly timed 4 day trip that will fall at the end of Level 2...). I've looked at TONS of before/after photos on here and they are my motivation! I can feel my endurance increase each day I do it -- on day one I could NOT do a push up, and today I did both sets of push ups completely! Yahoo!! My arms, back, chest and thighs BURRRRN. And I love it! I'm definitely a beginner.. I used to exercise regularly, but fell off the wagon when I moved in October. So I've really been watching my caloric intake and cut out soda and alcohol for the entire month of January. In the past, that ALONE has made a huge difference.. so I'm excited to see what I can accomplish with Jillian, too!

I'm excited to continue this journey and see some results. I would love to hear/see how things end up for you all! We can do it!

On my list of things to do today: buy a measuring tape and post some measurements. :)
  • cosmic0074
    cosmic0074 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    On my list of things to do today: buy a measuring tape and post some measurements. :)

DEFINITELY!!! EVERYONE should have one of those!
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am starting this tonight or tomorrow. I've just added you, would be great to see your results. And of course I will post mine.
  • amandaKd94
    amandaKd94 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am on day 4 Lvl1 of the 30 day shred. I'm out of shape, so the first few days have knocked me out! I'm feeling much better today after the workout! I feel the same as you in feeling like my muscles aren't properly warmed up for the workout, especially my calves. I think that I will do more static stretches tomorrow before the workout so that I don't look/feel like a newborn baby giraffe trying to walk around afterward!

Good luck with your goals! Add me if you like!
  • chippopot
    chippopot Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi. This is my first post (joined this month) and I just started the 30 day shred. I'm on day 3 today. I'm also only getting a measuring tape today so I can do my measurements. I'm looking for any friends who can share this experience with me and chat about how our strength and endurance is improving =) Please add me if you'd like =)
  • dustycaravan
    dustycaravan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I tried to do insanity and 30DS at the same time a couple months ago. I did about 15 days and lost 10lbs, then I fell off the wagon and gained it all back plus 10!

This time I am reallllly watching my caloric intake, and doing 30DS and 10,000 steps a day long term.

Today I am on DAY 2 of 30DS... OUCH it hurts to move, but I have to stop making excuses, I will power through it and make adjustments accordingly!

good luck to all!

Anyone doing 30DS please add me!

Here is a before (technically current) picture of me. I feel that if I put myself out there before I see progress it will motivate me more, to get a new pic up that shows progress... Stay tuned for a after shot in 30 days!

BAsmall_zpseb002099.jpg
    cropped.jpg