fitbit or polar ft7

Options
Which one do you have and why is it better?

*I love all the info guys but I feel I made a mistake for not stating what om looking for from a device.

I am looking for a decice that can track my calories burned throughout the day, during weight training cardio and any workout. That way I can take the guess work out of how many calories I burn daily. I feel eventhough mothing can be 10000% right it will help greatly. Can both of these do that or is there one that can't or one that can do it better?

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is made for wearing all day while you're walking around. The Polar FT7 is only for use during cardio exercise. They're two different animals with different applications.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I personally have a Fitbit Ultra and love it. It has been the most accurate device when it comes to steps/stairs/calories that I have used so far. I also love that I can track my sleep paterns with it as well.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    They're two totally different tools for two totally different purposes. If you're comparing them and trying to decide which one to buy then I strongly advise that you educate yourself on what they actually are and what they're for before making your purchase. And if anyone in here pipes in saying one is clearly better than the other then all that proves is they don't know any more than you do.

That being said pedometers by nature can't be even close to exact in their measurements. They can only get you "in the ballpark" because anything that jars them can incorrectly register as a step which will lead to improperly registering calories burned. Just an FYI.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is made for wearing all day while you're walking around. The Polar FT7 is only for use during cardio exercise. They're two different animals with different applications.

^^^ This
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I have both, honestly, I have had the fitbit longer but I like the Polar ft7 for my total workout, I wear my fitbit 24/7 and only wear my HRM when I work out. they are better as a team, if i had to choose, I would say fitbit because it is more user friendly. but If you get one, you will buy a HRM later, it is a safe bet.
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried either, but I just got a Polar FT40 for christmas and I love it! It works well with cardio and some resistance training.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I have both also - I like to see my heart rate, etc. from the hrm but the overall activity level from the fitbit. Besides, sometimes it is good to get a little extra motivations. :)
  • goldfinger1967
    goldfinger1967 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a polar heart rate monitor and can wear it all day as the latest one is a soft band with the monitor being really small. Personally I have had Polars for years and wouldn't use anything else.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    two different devices.

Polar you wear only when you workout.

But Polar 10000% because I only believe in a chest strap and tracking only when you workout.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    getting my Polar FT7 tomorrow.

That really is more a question of would you rather have a pedometer or a hear rate monitor.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have a polar heart rate monitor and can wear it all day as the latest one is a soft band with the monitor being really small. Personally I have had Polars for years and wouldn't use anything else.

You may be able to wear it all day but if you try to use it to get an idea of resting calorie burn you're only screwing yourself over. They aren't programmed for that and incorrectly overestimate calories burned when the heart rate is at resting pace.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    they're two different things entirely. i like the fitbit anyway because it's good you can wear it all day and it has a nice little website. then use the HRM to monitor your workouts and how many calories you're burning. fitbit can only base your workouts on how much you're walking during them.

i wear a fitbit and a bodymedia together.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just got a FitBit Zip about a week ago. I can't compare them (never tried the other), but for what it's worth I love my FBZ. It really encourages me to be more active, and it's fun to compete with my friends who have them, too. And I especially love that you can sync it with MFP.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Options

You may be able to wear it all day but if you try to use it to get an idea of resting calorie burn you're only screwing yourself over. They aren't programmed for that and incorrectly overestimate calories burned when the heart rate is at resting pace.

^^^TRUTH
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Garmin Edge 500
  • Coltsman4ever
    Options
    Garmin Edge 500

Garmin Forerunner 910XT
  • Katacheese
    Katacheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit which I like, but it has it's limitations. If you are going to do something that is not walking/running/cycling based it doesn't pick up the calories you burn and you have to input that stuff on the fitbit app.
  • cwanek726
    cwanek726 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have both also, I use the fitbit for all day use, and the ft7 for my workouts. I got both of them recently and I like them both for what they're intended to do. I got my fitbit first, then added in the HRM a couple of weeks later. If you want a better picture of what you're burning on an average day, go for the fitbit. If you want a more accurate picture of calories burned during a cardio workout, get the HRM. Or, like others have done, get both!
    If you decide on the FT7, you won't be able to upload the workouts to Polar's website unless you also buy a flowlink.
  • FitterGill
    FitterGill Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also have both. I wear my Fitbit on my bra through the day (I don't wear it in bed but you can if you want to get info on your sleep patterns) and wear a Polar HRM during my gym workouts. Fitbit syncs with MFP which is fab and I overwrite the time spent in the gym with my HRM read outs.

I was glad to note that my Fitbit and HRM numbers over the week are bang on compared with the Scooby calorie calculation.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    They're two totally different tools for two totally different purposes. If you're comparing them and trying to decide which one to buy then I strongly advise that you educate yourself on what they actually are and what they're for before making your purchase. And if anyone in here pipes in saying one is clearly better than the other then all that proves is they don't know any more than you do.

That being said pedometers by nature can't be even close to exact in their measurements. They can only get you "in the ballpark" because anything that jars them can incorrectly register as a step which will lead to improperly registering calories burned. Just an FYI.

And from what I gather a fitbit is more like a pedometer??