What's the best term for fat?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It really is a no win situation. It's like trying to refer to a person's ethnicity, you will always find someone offended at your description.

Hallelujah! Instead of
    The short mexican girl who's kind of chubby with long black hair and laughs a lot with the black boyfriend and chinese neighbor. You have to say.
    The petite exotic woman, who's only petite in height and has gorgeous long dark hair but is a little unprofessional sometimes in her behavior and dates an african american and lives next door to the asian fellow.

I mean how does vagueness win? Not only does it take longer to say and write, it's vague and I'd rather know the girl is mexican versus say argentinian or honduran, or that her neighbor is black because he may NOT be african american he may be straight from africa last week or england or whatnot and I would know not to invite my gorgeous friend from the same country so as not to spark jealousy, and the asian guy might or might not be someone I'd be interested in meeting depending on whether he's japanese, or korean or chinese or thai right? I might have great things to talk about with one person from one country I just visited or whose food i just learned to cook, or whose country my company is thinking of expanding in and that could decide whether I attend the party or meeting or whatnot. Not trying to make enemies. Just sayin'. I like specifics. Vagueness sucks.

Personally regarding fat, I say, "since I got fat", or "when I wasn't fat" things like that. Even though I'd like to use the term obese because it's accurate I would only use it in the Dr's office because in real life I can blow through the fat term and speed right along, but in real life people can't really for some reason really SEE that I'm actually at the obese point cause I'm just inside that range so it causes an uproar, and next thing you know someone's taking me under their wing and giving me unsolicited pointers. When using "fat" I feel I convey that I have a good handle on reality and my situation and therefore need no advice, thanks.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I never use the word "curvy" to generically refer to someone who's overweight, because curvy is a SHAPE, not a size (one of the curviest girls I know is clinically underweight). If I'm trying to identify a person, I tend to use words like "thicker", "bigger", "fuller", and "heavier".
  • bienemaya483
    Options
    "great personality"

Hahahahaha made me laught:p i think thats like the meanest one-.- I know tons of overweight people who are absolutely gorgeous!
    I like chubby cause its cute!
  • ianlikesholidays
    ianlikesholidays Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Here's a few that described myself before MFP - Chubster, Bat Fastard, Lard *kitten*, Chinless Wonder, Michelin Man, Fat Git.
    Ian.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Buxom
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight, my son once said of me, "You're not fat, you're just fluffy!" I was OK with being called fluffy. : )
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Overweight.

This, it's politically correct.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Europeans tend to use the term Thick. Personally I like voluptuous!
    Really? In the UK, "thick" means stupid.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    "must be bulking"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tdotgirl
    tdotgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Curvey or full figured girl like me I can handle that!
  • ejonesy
    ejonesy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Overall this thread is a winner. Some of these are hilarious. I would say overweight, hence having a high fat percentage. I feel guilty using the word fat around someone very overweight but it's natural in conversation. As a woman, I hate when women call themselves curvy. It's like rationalizing being overweight. Also, BMI-normous is my favorite so far!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I suppose whatever term would promote ACTION. Congrats on making a start and doing something about the problem. Like one person posted... It is a lose-lose situation.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    "Let me introduce...." or "This is..." I don't normally give great directions, so I just show them and introduce the person.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i think ppl use too many safe words like they are roleplaying, In my bigger days i preferred fat,not husky, stocky, thick, i'm fat. No hurt feelings I know what i am
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I like voluptuous or curvy for myself.
    I call myself curvy all the time. But I know that I am. I lose weight on my waist and face first, which means waist gets small, but the T & A stay large which gives me all kinds of curves... hahaha :laugh:

I have been called voluptuous many times....
  • miranda823
    miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised at how many people said "fluffy" I would MUCH prefer to be called fat over fluffy. I think that's insulting to try and sugar it up. I also get annoyed when I refer to myself as fat and the people around me deny it, like I was fishing for reassurance. Stating a fact. Fat is fat. Now if someone points it out when it's completely out of context and unnecessary, then that's rude. It's all in the meaning and purpose of saying it.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Cornfed or thick
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight so I don't know how to approach this, but I've always said "heavier set" or "heavy set"

I feel like this is less offensive than saying overweight.

If i'm talking TO the person and I have to compare something I'l say like "i'm smaller than you" or "you're stronger than me." when they might not be. this is in regards to roller derby, though, and how likely someone is to knock me on my butt.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    When I am trying to describe a fat person at work to someone I will say something like "the bigger lady with the short blonde hair" or something like that.

Same. I tend to use "bigger" or just "big."
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    The term I hear most by people is 'heavyset'.
    I don't eben know my 'go to term', I am fairly good at finding ways to not use any term for weight. I kinda alternate 'fat term' when I feel,the need to,use them.