Is being over protein a bad thing for weight lost?

Options
I sometimes find myself having to fit in extra food just to eat back some of my calories. However, this tends to put me over protein. I try and aim to be under. I'm a mom so it's hard for me to stand and cook myself something so most of my foods in a day are quick.

The scale hasn't moved in a week.

Any suggestions on foods that are low in protein without cooking?

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Why would you be forcing yourself to eat?
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    you should go over
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs and protein at the same level, I lost a lot of weight so far like this
  • AngelaBianco82
    AngelaBianco82 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If I don't add the extra food then I'm under 1200
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Good for you for not trying to starve yourself on less than 1200. I prefer to go over on my protein more than the others. I would not worry too much, it is my understanding the protein goal is too low on here.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am never close on protein, typically 100g over or so a day. But I also take whey powder so that typically does the trick. Protein will keep you full in a relatively healthy manner. Don't worry about going over.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

it eats the taco - mexican, or it gets the hose again
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't hurt you to be over protein. Whatever your body doesn't use will be passed out through your urine each day, you don't retain it.
  • marie_eve_78
    marie_eve_78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've heard that a diet focused on protein eventually can be bad for the kidneys... I'm no doctor though.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1) change your macro setting to a 40c/30f/30p to start. The protein macro on MFP is not what I go by. You might want to aim for .75 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, or even higher. I aim for 135 or more grams per day. That, for me exceeds 1 gram.

The MFP is a minimum allowance for protein. You really need protein to keep you from losing your lean body mass as you lose weight. If I go over on anything, I want it to be protein.

As far as kidney damage, to research on that. You have to consume some serious quantities to even worry about this. But if your diet is balanced, you don't have to worry about it.

Being way under on protein is a bad thing for weight loss, IMO.
  • AngelaBianco82
    AngelaBianco82 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I might be at the point where I need to change my diet to see what works for me. I'll leave it the way it is and than see if I'm losing weight.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'd check to be sure calories eaten and burned are accurate. don't trust the activity calories burned on MFP, some are way off. Weigh your food, be precise. Don't eat if you are not hungry, you can always consume the calories later if you feel bad or weak.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I just changed my goal protein from the MFP set 41 to 60. That solved that issue!

Its pretty easy to add a bit of protein and calories to your day by having some yogurt, cheese or milk, gives you calcium too. Drink a smoothie with liquid egg whites or greek yogurt. Have beans and rice for a meal. Getting enough protein doesn't mean you have to cook a whole meal, you can snack healthy.

Edited to add: I make ranch dip and keep it on hand with hidden valley ranch dip mix and plain greek yogurt. Just had that with fresh veggies for my lunch, easy protein and tastes like a party!
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Only eat back if you feel hungry, your body doesn;t lie
  • mswatchmemelt
    mswatchmemelt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't hurt you to be over protein. Whatever your body doesn't use will be passed out through your urine each day, you don't retain it.

Really? So that explains why my urine is more yellow since I've been adding proteing shakes. Thanks for your comment
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    See protein as a minimum.

Not to be rude, but you didn't gain weight from not eating enough. What were you eating before? Incorporate more of those foods. Peanut butter is also a very easy way to add in more calories.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You should be eating at least 1g protein/kg of body weight btw so even 60g would be quite low for you
  • pikachuFL
    pikachuFL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, too. I keep using up fat and protein first so then I have to find foods that are high in calories and/or carbs but have no protein or fat, which is about impossible. Many days I have gone over my fat and protein limits but still been short of my calorie and carb limit.

I try to keep as close to the limits as possible but don't worry if I go a little bit over. As long as I'm still losing weight, I won't worry about it but if I hit a plateau, I might have to cut back on the fat and protein even if it puts me way under my calorie limit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: How many grams of protein are you averaging?

And, for what it's worth: the MFP default setting for protein is pretty low.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

it eats the taco - mexican, or it gets the hose again
    LOL...........classic.