Insanity vs P90X for Women???

Options
I'm really considering purchasing one of these programs, but I don't know which program is better for me? I'm 5'5 and 135 lbs. I really want to lose about 15 pounds and tighten up my body all over, for a really slender & lean look. I really like the fact that Insanity doesn't require any additional equipment. But then again, I heard that lifting weights (like on P90x) is better for women who want to lose weight and tone the muscles. Does Insanity have strength training too? I'm healthy and pretty active already. Also, are the suggested nutrition plans similar for both Insanity and P90X? Thanks!

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I've heard that insanity is better for dropping weight and p90x is better for gaining muscle. I want to try Insanity first and then p90x.
  • poc1919
    poc1919 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Both programs are amazing! I am just about finished with p90X, and i have already done Insanity. I would personally recommend doing insanity first, as it is high pace cardio ALL the time. I lost a total of 15 lbs doing insanity, and i am about to start Insanity Asylum:) (cannot wait). If you decide to go with insanity, or whatever program you decide to go with, if youre interested, i can help you stay on track and keep motivating you to push through. Let me know:)
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    p90x is still cardio with weights isn't it? even beachbody.com (makes of insanity and p90x) put out a more lifting centered program (body beast)

You might do well to check this out no matter what you choose in the end http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • jerzeygirl619
    jerzeygirl619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did P90X last year and it was amazing. I just got Insanity. I think insanity is better because you just use your body. You don't have to have a bunch of equipment. But that's just a personal preference.
  • poc1919
    Options
    P90X does definetly have its cardio in certain workouts.(Kenpo X, Cardio X). But if you are looking at losing weight, the biggest thing is the amount of calories you burn in your workout (as long as you burn more than you eat in a day). In my opinion, insanity is a better weight loss program than p90x. As for bodybeast, i have not yet done that one, i plan on doing it this year though and looking forward to it since i am starting my bulking phase in a couple months.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you want to bulk you might consider doing a proper beginner lifting routine with the proper volume and frequency for your training level and goals, i.e. not body beast.
  • poc1919
    Options
    I already plan on it:) Thanks for the heads up though, greatly appreciated! I dont plan on doing bodybeast until later in the year once i am where I want to be with my weight, and nutrition
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I did insanity, personally, it got old. It's hardcore cardio!!! I did lose fat and fit in smaller clothes. I did all of it till the last week,and I pushed myself the whole time. I will say it works, but for me, I need a little more variety. I'm currently on p90x, which I have tried a year ago, but I was out of shape, now that I am much stronger I can do p 90 x and push it hard! I am only on day 4 but I am sooooooo sore, and I can tell its going to give me great results. So in the end it's really a personal choice. If ya like cardio and can withstand it for the 60 days, then do insanity. If ya like variety..weights, some cardio, etc then p90x. I haven't finished p90x but as of now, I'd say p90.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i've done insanity twice (loved it) and give P90x the credit that it's due, but sometimes I wonder how people got big, cut, or strong before beachbody was incorporated. there were other ways to get fit before BB came into existence, weren't there?
  • msleen12
    Options
    I did insanity, personally, it got old. It's hardcore cardio!!! I did lose fat and fit in smaller clothes. I did all of it till the last week,and I pushed myself the whole time. I will say it works, but for me, I need a little more variety. I'm currently on p90x, which I have tried a year ago, but I was out of shape, now that I am much stronger I can do p 90 x and push it hard! I am only on day 4 but I am sooooooo sore, and I can tell its going to give me great results. So in the end it's really a personal choice. If ya like cardio and can withstand it for the 60 days, then do insanity. If ya like variety..weights, some cardio, etc then p90x. I haven't finished p90x but as of now, I'd say p90.

Thanks so much! After thinking about it, I'm probably just going to do a hybrid version of both! Get the best of both worlds! :)
  • chrischojnacki09
    Options
    ive dne the p90x over the summer and recommend it if you do not have a gym membership. lost 25 pounds and got amazing abs but for women insanity looks to more of a cardio oriented workout. if you like weights i recommend p90x.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    I tried p90x. I think it would be much more effective once I'm stronger. Gotta build those stabilizers first
  • beachbums6
    beachbums6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used P90X after I had my daughter and lost a lot of weight from using it.
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Thanks so much! After thinking about it, I'm probably just going to do a hybrid version of both! Get the best of both worlds! :)

I never tried Insanity, have been tempted, but have spent way to much money in the past on DVD's. One big thing is I need change and I think P90X gives that, which I do own and have tried. However, I do hear Insanity is great. But for me I think I can make do with what I have and am starting P90X tomorrow.
  • KirkK1974
    KirkK1974 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm considering doing Insanity, How long roughly do you have to spend per day on each work out? I was considering doing it first thing in the morning before I head off to work and just wondered if it would be possible to fit it in without having to get up at some ungodly hour.