HRM recommendations?

Options
I'm trying to find an affordable (under $80 if possible, up to $100 if necessary) HRM, but reading Amazon comments has me terribly disillusioned. It seems all the straps break, or they count the wrong number of calories, or they don't count calories at all.

Do you love your HRM? Which one do you have, and approximately how much was it?

Replies

• SoontirFel
    SoontirFel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4.

Thank me later
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love mine. I have had all brands and I always keep coming back to Polar. The FT series rocks and you will love it and the price points are very good.
  • loves86
    loves86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Ft4 and it works great! It is JUST what I need!!!

I dont know how anyone would know if they aren't giving the correct # of calories? how can anyone say that it isn't giving the right number unles they are maybe wearing 2 and they dont come up the same???
  • jeshhh
    jeshhh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I dont know how anyone would know if they aren't giving the correct # of calories? how can anyone say that it isn't giving the right number unles they are maybe wearing 2 and they dont come up the same???

I think it was coming up with double what her old HRM said? I'm not sure, I read it a few weeks ago.

Thank you, everyone!
  • GettingFitToLIVE
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4! Purchased on www.bodytronics.com for less than $70.00. Good luck.
  • Robyn120
    Robyn120 Posts: 249
    Options
    Polar FT4 all the way!!!
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I just got an FT7 after having another brand that was garbage (pro-form maybe). My wife and I have been very pleased with our Polar FT7s. We got them from http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft7.html (search for a coupon code and your in your price range.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT1 that I got over 10 years ago. It is very basic and still works great--I've replaced the battery myself twice and just replaced the elastic strap. They don't make that model anymore. If I had to get something else, I'd definitely get another Polar.
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPhone? if so I would highly recommend Polar H7 or the upcoming H6 (http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gearcaster/2013/01/polar-h6-bluetooth-smart-heart-rate-sensor.html)

The biggest decisions:
    1. Watch or phone
    2. Depth of information (just HR, or do you need to know what Zone you are in)
    3. Are you ok with a chest strap? There is an arm strap but reviews are not consistent
    4. Do you want to sycn workout data from the HRM to the web so you can look at the information
    5. Do you need GPS

There are many more important questions but this is a good start.

Personally I used to use a Polar FT60 which was great but limited. I have recently moved to using the Polar H7 with the polar Beat App (I like the BeatApp because I can build on the data I started with the FT60). The Polar strap is also NICE because it works with most fitness equipment that supports HRM chest straps.

Garmin is also very popular.

I am a huge fan of no longer having a watch and using my phone for everything.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I would like to get one that links to my iphone. I hear the Polar H7 works. Does anyone know if it works and how well it works?
  • ohh_myy_quad
    ohh_myy_quad Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also use the Polar FT7 and am very pleased with it and purchased mine from heartratemonitorsusa.com.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4... love mine, easy to use & it's pink!
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would like to get one that links to my iphone. I hear the Polar H7 works. Does anyone know if it works and how well it works?

I have been using it with my iPhone5 for a couple of months now and it works great. Many apps are supporting it. I have tried several but I like the Polar Beat app the best because it feeds into my pre-existing Polar account data.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i like my polar ft4. i went for 4 because I didn't see the need to be able to upload stuff like the 7 does. I really love it (it's changed me completely in behavior and stuff....) BUT it does tend to malfunction now and t hen in water. sometimes in the pool it doesn't register ... what's frustrating is it's just sometimes..
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 - got mine for $59 after some coupons from local sport store.