What's the best term for fat?

Options

Replies

• bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    According to comedian Grabiel Iglesias (aka fluffy) there are 5 stages of fat:

1. Big
    2. Healthy
    3. Husky
    4. Fluffy
    And the 5th one is DAMN!!!
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    I thought it was "fluffy". I've been out of the loop lately so it might still be "curvy".
    Fluffy is my fav. :heart:
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    According to comedian Grabiel Iglesias (aka fluffy) there are 5 stages of fat:

1. Big
    2. Healthy
    3. Husky
    4. Fluffy
    And the 5th one is DAMN!!!

Hahah :heart:
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Anorexic challenged :wink:
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When describing myself, I like to go with "fat", as in "the short fat woman with red hair". I shop for clothes in the fat ladies shop. I have trouble with some yoga poses because I "have a fat belly". I like to be honest with myself.

One can be a bit more sensitive with others. My yoga teacher says I have a "Bhudda belly"! Women can be "plus size" or just "larger" and men can carry off "stout" . My sister's vet referred to her dog as "thunky" - that might be a good one.

I think it comes down to keeping it legitimately descriptive, and only if the desciption is needed. So, you could say "the woman with the short blonde hair in the blue blouse" . (sort of the same way you would not describe the same person as "the blonde with the huge mole on her face".......
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think it generally depends on the kind of relationship you have with the person, but "fat," as honest as it is, has such a negative stigma attached to it that one cannot genuinely say it is just an observation.

If I'm trying to describe someone to another person, I would say "overweight," "heavy set," or "big/bigger." I find those terms to be less menacing, so to speak, than "fat."
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I just use whatever flows out... I'm done with trying to not offend people. If you're fat, you know you're fat, deal with it. If you're OFFENDED by someone calling you fat, then go do something about it or be quiet.

Same goes with ugly, smelly, stupid, etc etc.

The world has gotten too cushy.

ETA: I am most definitely not attacking you, OP... I liked reading your post :D

Really, if you were at work would you say, "Oh, go ask the ugly person over there?" Or "I can't help you but the lady over there who smells bad can..."

I am not in denial about being fat, I call myself that but I would be offended if someone else did. Just as I wouldn't call someone else a name based on their appearance. To me, this is just basic manners.. Nothing wrong with identifying someone with a clothing color or hair style or something instead...

As a matter of fact, yes I would. :) It's all a part of my lovely ***hole-ish theme.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I say 'chubby' or 'rounder'. "The rounder girl with the blonde hair helped me".

I don't care if someone called me fat, I was fat. I faced the truth and decided to change that.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Just my preference but it's not a word I use. It's not a word I've made any replacements for.
  • lisforlaurenn
    lisforlaurenn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I usually refer to myself as fat. However I wouldn't use that term to reference another person. I usually stick with terms like plus sizer, bigger, or fluffy.
  • betsz1
    betsz1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Volumetrically challenged? :tongue:
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I have a meerkat on my filing cabinet. Coming to see me? Look for the meerkat

Desk adornments are my best guide for lost and wandering seekers of specific humans.

When describing an overweight person (if I need to) I say "could stand to lose a few pounds"
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I use big.... when I hear the word fat...I think gross and people who are bigger are not gross they have weight on... make sense...
  • _Thanatos_
    Options
    I hate PC language. Fat is fat. Quit sugar-coating the truth to make yourself feel better. Doesn't accomplish anything.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I prefer "fluffy".
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    porkylicious
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have been called "Horizontally gifted" which they were using as a nice way to call me fat.
    When I look at it as I am typing it.....it could be used to mean something entirely different.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    jigglypuff
  • melanogaster
    Options
    The key point to remember in describing someone is to stick to the relevant points. Very rarely is someone's weight, height, ethnicity, or remarkable physical attribute actually relevant to the point at hand. Gender is also seldom relevant, but is usually a necessary part of the sentence, so it gets a pass here. The safest bet, to both not offend and to make sure the person you're talking to understand to whom you're referring, is to neutrally (or positively!) describe clothing and hair - they tend to be features most people can recognize and they're also the features most likely to result from conscious decisions on the part of the describee. Directional information also works well. "She's the woman with the short brown hair, wearing the blue top." or "He's the man with the beard and the glasses, standing by the window." are both perfectly acceptable in almost any context. Describing someone as "the really short woman" or "the guy who could stand to lose a few pounds" or "the girl with the big nose"... all are going to be offensive and/or hurtful to somebody. If something like that is -actually- relevant (for instance, you're discussing weight/height/ethnicity/remarkable physical attributes, or you're trying to identify a suspect in a robbery, or you're in a situation where everyone is bald and naked), then the best bet is to go with a reasonably accurate estimation of the feature in question. My idea of "fat" and your idea of "fat" are probably two different things, so calling someone "fat" is both less descriptive and more offensive than saying someone "weighs probably about 250 pounds" - assuming that they do, in fact, weigh about 250 pounds.

All that being said, it's probably best not to be too easily offended.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I say chubby chick or chubby dude.

I have heard myself referred to as
    "thick"
    "that big tall girl" (I'm 6'1)
    "amazoness" ,
    "zena" (from zena warrior princess)
    "that bigger girl over there"

So I guess "big girl" would be the most common.

My mom used to call me "tons of fun" when she was mad at me. Now she wonders why I think she was mean when I was younger.