sugar issues

Options
I have been doing really good at watching everything that goes into my mouth and have been logging it in my food journal, but I have a problem with my sugars. I added the sugar tracker to the things I track daily and every day I seem to go over. Like today I have gone over by 20 points already and only sugar I had came from an orange, a gala apple and a slim fast shake. Is this something I should be worrying about or should I not be paying so much attention to the natural sugar in fruit?

Replies

• elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    I don't really worry about the sugar in fruits and stuff. If it is a raw food (veggies, fruit, etc.) then I don't count it. I actually subtract those quantities out (in my head) when I am checking my sugar intake. :o) I really only count refined sugars or sugar that is not naturally occurring in the food. :O)
  • jesscurran
    Options
    I also look at only refined sugars. If I counted all the natural sugar I consume I would be way over too! I just eat fruit in moderation. I keep veges as "free foods" but i watch the amount of fruits I consume. On an average day i will eat like 3 pieces of fruit or so. good luck!
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    THIS IS JUST ME (everyone is different, with different needs): Because I am nowhere near diabetic, I don't worry about "natural" sugars too much (your orange and apple). So, when I'm over (which is pretty much every day because I think MFP limits are low) I take a quick glance to see how much was added sugar.

If your diabetic, or pre-diabetic, you should watch all sugars, even natural. Personally, my issues are calories and fat so that's what I pay closest attention to.

I think the best idea is to ask your doctor, based on your current health and goals, how much total sugar you should ingest in a day. If you haven't, get a full blood workup to see if diabetes in particular is a concern.

JUST MY TWO CENTS...I'm no expert. :flowerforyou:
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I seriously woried about that too for awhile...I even found myself avoiding fruits because of it....but quite frankly there is a huge difference between the sugar in sweets and those in fruits...So personally I ignore my sugar overages when they're fruit related!
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as everybody else. I am not worried too much about sugar coming from natural sources (e.g. fruits) but I'm extra careful about the salt (sodium) and the fat content of things. I've actually never paid attention to sugar other than not eating sweets.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    You want to cut down on sugar.

Get rid of the slim fast shake.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    You want to cut down on sugar.

I agree, and I'm not really here to bust anyone's chops, but Slim Fast has a crazy amount of added sugar for a supposed "weight loss" drink. It's 35 grams per 8 oz container the last time I checked.

There are a number of other lower sugar options out on the market in terms of replacement shakes. There's also protein powders available which contain 0g sugar, low low carb.
  • thezookeeper
    Options
    Lisa's right.
    As a borderline, or pre-diabetic as some call it, I have to watch the sugars in fruits as well as refined sugars. And carbs turn into "sugar" so I have to be careful there too. I must have a protein and fat with the carb and/or sugar to slow down the release of insulin into the bloodstream. Oh, and although I don't have any heart/blood pressure issues, sodium makes me swell like a balloon so I have to limit the salt too. What a crazy dance I do!

I basically eat lots of veggies and proteins, moderate amounts of dairy & grains, very few fruits. I never drink juice, it's a waste for me b/c it skyrockets my blood glucose level. I'm proabably getting too much protein but I'm such a carnivore that I can't help myself. lol.
  • djcarsonaa
    Options

I agree, and I'm not really here to bust anyone's chops, but Slim Fast has a crazy amount of added sugar for a supposed "weight loss" drink. It's 35 grams per 8 oz container the last time I checked

• djcarsonaa
    Options
    WOW!! OK not the correct amounts there....the shake I drink had 17g sugar in 11oz and I drink 1/2 a can at breakfast and 1/2 at lunch, geees if I was gonna eat something with 35 sugars it wouls sure taste alot better lol