Going way over calories...

Options
Yesterday and today I have went way over my calories...like 500+ over..I am miserable!! I don't know what to do or how to get back on track!! I don't even want to track the rest of what I have eaten because I am so embaressed.

Replies

• lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    First...take a deep breath and just forget about what you have or havent eaten. If you get so focused on the number of calories you are eating vs. a change in lifestyle you are going to drive yourself CRAZY! Know that it is okay to eat over your calories every now and then. No one lost weight from one good meal or gained weight from one bad meal. Its a process.

Now, if you are feeling really miserable and down about the extra calories....do a detox...get back on track with veggies and fruits and good for ya food. Or...go to the gym and work off those extra calories..or a walk outside...or some kind of classs...anything!. I mean, i dunno about you but I like to go to the gym so that I CAN have that extra food I woudlnt have been able to before.

Look at the big picture and try not to obsess over the small stuff...you will drive yourself crazy!!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    you log it, and you start over.

You can't undo the past, but dwelling on it just adds to the DIScouragement
    and it becomes a never-ending cycle.

Close your diary if you need to, but log it all. Sometimes- not always- you can get in some exercise
    to help off-set your *not so good* choices
    and assessing the *damage* is the first step in getting a handle on where your weaknesses/triggers lie-
    and you learn ways to avoid them, deal with them
    so they aren't stumbling blocks.

Being honest with yourself is a big part of the mental battle on this journey.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new day. Look at what you could have done better, then do it today.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    the true way to succeed is to jump right back on plan and eat at your calorie level. If you want.. you could exercise two days and don't eat back those calories to make up for overeating those two days. You could do that and cut off 100 calories here and there too over the week.

Many people on here average out their calories over a week..eating more some days and less others..and using exercise as a way to balance it all out. It works for them. So look at it that way..not as a failure.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    log it - move on.

I average mine over the week anyway, and if I want that pizza and not portion control it I jolly well will. It happens I think over christmas I was 1000 over maintinance every day and my maintinance is not small lol... in the end I only put on 2lbs over christmas, and its all gone plus another lb.

If you dwell on it, it will dwell on you. You will be alright:)
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    the true way to succeed is to jump right back on plan and eat at your calorie level. If you want.. you could exercise two days and don't eat back those calories to make up for overeating those two days. You could do that and cut off 100 calories here and there too over the week.

Many people on here average out their calories over a week..eating more some days and less others..and using exercise as a way to balance it all out. It works for them. So look at it that way..not as a failure.

Thats a really good idea regarding eating some extra on one day and cutting back the other day... you could plan it so that you eat less on days you don't have gym or something? good one!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're not honest in your logging, you're only cheating yourself. If you're embarrassed for others to see, make your diary private.

It happens to all of us and one day every once in a while won't even hold back your weight loss efforts too much...that is IF you make sure you get right back on track the next day. What's done is done. Don't keep moping over it or you'll keep being stuck in the cycle of emotional eating and guilt and that's just a complete waste of time and energy. It's not like you can go back in time and fix it, right?

What you CAN do is stop right now and make a commitment to yourself. Starting tomorrow, you will plan your meals for the week, get the out of your cupboards (if that's the issue) and make sure you have healthy things to turn to when you're hungry. Make sure you're eating enough (starving and depriving yourself will just lead to more of these binges in the future, trust me) and get some exercise in to earn extra calories to give you wiggle room.

It will be ok! Just get determined, make a plan and get to it!

P.S. I know a lot of us don't like overanalyze our actions but I'd suggest you really think about what has been going on the last couple of days to bring you over your goal and how maybe you could approach the situation differently next time. For me, a big problem is having a hard time saying no when Hubs says "let's get a pizza". So I try to make sure I have dinners planned for the week so I can say "no, we really need to cook this chicken or it'll go bad". I don't always say no but it's nice to have a backup plan so saying no is easier.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Use your misery as motivation to stick close to your calorie allowance.

Then get back on track.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    If you are set to lose more than 1 lb per week you are still eating at a level to lose weight. That one day over 500 calories is not going to ruin all your effort! No worries. Move forward, we all have these moments. It's okay as long as you get back to it.
  • K0h4ku
    K0h4ku Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    First: Be honest with yourself. If you log the calories, the next day that you're under (tomorrow! :) ) will feel great.

It's so easy to go over: The deliciousness of wine. A horrible day. Someone at work brings in your favorite Andes Mint cookes. We have all done this before, and I find that I really use those moments to look at my weekly goals. Refocus yourself on what you can do to make the it so your 7 day total is reasonable.

The fact that you came here for support means you're far from giving up. Good luck!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Log it all and print it out, use it as a reminder of what you do not want to do.

That way you can look at it and not feel embarassed but empowered by your decision to do better :)
  • Melliecat1030
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up just focus on getting back on track. Your not the only one who has gone over on calories so your not alone. Take a good look at your log, adjust where you need to, and remember to get some form of exercise in. That will help you clear your mind and get back on track - even if it is just a walk around the block. Stick with this because you can do it.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Forget about the past, what's done is done.
    Plan Ahead!!
    Figure out what you're going to eat tomorrow. LOG IT NOW. It is eye-opening to log things in advance because you will know ahead of time which are the good decisions and which are the poor ones. Since you're logging in advance you'll have a chance to undo those poor decisions and pick something better.

When tomorrow arrives, the hardest part will be having the will power to stick to your plan. Things will be in front of you that you will want to eat, just walk away. Grab some water instead. Ask yourself "would I be eating this if it wasn't sitting out in front of me?" When the answer is NO, then don't eat it. Just because it's there doesn't mean it needs to be consumed. Make a plan, and stick to it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on...tomorrow is another day. Also, remember...and I don't know what your target is so I'll assume you're doing the 1,200 calorie thing...if you're 500 over that, you're still most likely at a deficit of your TDEE. Honestly, 1,200 isn't often enough for many people...in fact, for many ladies it is well below their BMR. I would personally recommend that you find out what your BMR is and, at minimum, eat to that level. Your BMR is the bare bones calories your body would need for proper organ function if you were in a coma. If you Net between your BMR and TDEE you will lose weight and you will do so in a healthy manner and you're much more likely to stick with your plan and have success because you won't be misserable. Eating significantly below your BMR for an extended period of time results in all kinds of other health issues, the least of which is metabolic stall. Here's a good calculator:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can't undo what's done.

Plan your day. Research calories before eating. That way you are not surprised afterwards. Being able to control calories take research and work, but well worth it.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I went over and I mean way over almost every single day for two weeks last month while I was on vacation from work. The first week I freaked out about it but then I realized I was going to have ups and downs and it was my job to brush it off and get back on. Brush it off, rewind tomorrow and get back at it.

If you're worried about it constantly happening again, plan and pre-log your meals the previous night so you can try to stick with it.

Most importantly though, just forgive yourself and move on.

Best wishes to you!
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Log what you've eaten, accept that it happened, forgive yourself, and start fresh. Try to make up for it a bit the next day....some extra workout time, more veggies and protein, no junk.
  • realdog2usa
    realdog2usa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    mrslehan2013, Just think about one day at a time... don't beat yourself up too bad... you are aware... tomorrow is another day... keep at it... don't give up, PLEASE!!! and remember if it's 10 miles into the woods, it's 10 miles out! Most of the time I do good with the diet/exercise... my hardest time, when I need to use more discipline, and I'm doing better is in the evenings, watching TV or foolin' around on the computer I want to munch, or snack, or graze... sometimes it's like if I take that first unhealthy bite, an addiction kicks in and I want more, I want another bite of something, and then another... most of the time I do good,,, doing better, hahaha last night an item didn't make it onto the food journal here on my fitnesspal, but it did show up on the scale this morning... Think about striving for progress, rather than perfection... If you don't take care of your body, where are you going to live? Hugs, my friend.. you've got my support, feel free to friend me!
  • colourfulchaos
    colourfulchaos Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    By not logging it you're really just cheating yourself--just because those calories aren't logged doesn't mean they were never consumed, you know? So do as everyone else has suggested, log it move on and use that miserable feeling today for motivation tomorrow. Everyone has days like this so it's nothing to feel embarrassed about :) It's hard, but as long as you keep at it you will get there
  • smittelman6
    Options
    I just wanted to say that this topic was really encouraging to me today. I had a formal event last night, and between the catered meal (even though I chose what I thought to be the healthiest option), the influx of appetizers, and the open bar, I knew as soon as I left that I was going to regret it when I logged it all in that night.... and I did, when I was almost 900 calories over my goal. I came here to see what others had to say about it, and this thread was superbly encouraging.

I plan to pre-record my meals for the rest of the week so that I'm less likely to stray, and also work out an extra half an hour and not eat those calories back for the next two days. Between staying on-track and the extra exercise, I will (at least mentally feel like I) have "erased" my one bad day before the end of the week. :)