Ab Workout??

Options
Do I really need to do an ab workout? For some reason I hate ab workouts. I am currently doing a strength training workout I found online that includes, squats, lounges, planks, push-ups etc... after each workout it has a 10 minute ab workout. My only goal is to get healthy and not lose to much muscle while losing fat.

Replies

• appi1981
    Options
    No one like s working your Ab s but its a must muscle group as its your core and Will help immensely with planks and what not
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    If planks aren't exercising your abs, what are they exercising?
  • iommi4
    iommi4 Posts: 20
    Options
    yea, ab workouts suck a lot. once you get them in shape though, its an amazing feeling. 3 months ago i barely was able to do anything core wise. now i'm able to do push ups from an exercise ball or other stuff on it now. there are ways to workout the abs without using the traditional crunch exercises. my core is a lot stronger now and starting to get a little definition. the other day was the first time i did sit ups with my trainer ever.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I think if you have a lot to lose it will help with any possibly loose skin..
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Dude... It's only 10 minutes.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If planks aren't exercising your abs, what are they exercising?

Futility?!?! ;)
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Do I really need to do an ab workout? For some reason I hate ab workouts. I am currently doing a strength training workout I found online that includes, squats, lounges, planks, push-ups etc... after each workout it has a 10 minute ab workout. My only goal is to get healthy and not lose to much muscle while losing fat.

No, you don't have to work abs right now. Down the road if you want to get to squatting and deadlifting SERIOUS weight, you will need to do some assistance work for abs to keep your back aligned properly.
  • mom23boys10
    Options
    Thanks. I think I don't like them because I can't really do them well.
  • mariholm
    mariholm Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Dude... It's only 10 minutes.

^ lol!!! Seriously, the more you do, the easier it gets and you"ll want to keep doing it once you see the results. Give it a go!
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I am interested in what online workout you are doing it sounds awesome. Most those exercises already work your abs because you are using them to stabilize yourself. But if you want a six pack those "extra" ab exercises can only help. Also remember Great abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. 30% gym 70% diet.
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options

No, you don't have to work abs right now. Down the road if you want to get to squatting and deadlifting SERIOUS weight, you will need to do some assistance work for abs to keep your back aligned properly.

You don't have to do them just so you can do SERIOUS weights. It's just good for you to have an all around good physique, and that includes your core. You don't have to get a six pack ab to make it worthwhile, but in regards to general muscle tone and being healthier, then yes, do the abs. It's good for you...really.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think I don't like them because I can't really do them well.

That's why you should keep doing it!
  • mom23boys10
    Options
    I am interested in what online workout you are doing it sounds awesome. Most those exercises already work your abs because you are using them to stabilize yourself. But if you want a six pack those "extra" ab exercises can only help. Also remember Great abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. 30% gym 70% diet.

I am doing workout box.com It is pretty good so far. I needed something I could do at home. This has a home program and a gym program. It also mixes things up a little. I like it so far.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I too massively dislike focusing on abs. I get a decent workout on lower abs sitting tall on my bicycle, I have a cruiser style with foot forward, every pedal is working my abs. And working my arms using correct form forces me to use my core to stabilize myself. I can feel the worked muscles, I know they got something.

I will get around to more formal ab exercises, starting with pilates, Pilates for Weight Loss is the program I use. Perfect for me to work on that. I am not going to bother too much with targeting abs until I lose more fat. Just makes me feel fatter to have sore abs.
  • Izabera
    Izabera Posts: 28
    Options
    Go buy a swiss ball(gym ball) I have always hated doing crunches that was until my girlfriend bought me a swiss ball, great for working whole stomach section as you have to rely on your abs for balance as well as the benefits of the actual workout.