Hitting the Wall!

Options
Hi Everyone,
Just after some small advice, and confirmation whether this is normal or not.
Anytime I properly sort my diet and exercise regime, week 1 I lose around 5lb, week 2 I lose around 3-4lb, week 3 no loss.
After keeping it up, and around week 4, I will lose a steady 2lb-3lb, then week 6 no loss again.

These walls keep appearing.

Is it a case of my body being used to the diet and exercise?
Is is a bad thing?
Can I change anything to keep this a constant loss?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's normal and happens to lots of people. Weight loss is not linear.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thats how MY WL is,but at the end of the Month it adds up correctly to 8lbs a month as I wanted it.It used to drive me nuts,but now I know that it will pay off in the end as long as I don't give up.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes, first week with change in diet you lose a lot of water (maybe your diet change contains less sodium), next week less loss...etc. Sometimes if you change your workout routine you'll hold more water so your weight will go up a few pounds for a couple weeks. This is all normal. Just hang in there.

If I have a 4 week period where my weight or measurements don't change then I may try to make a small modification but pretty much stick with the program. I might change my workout routine (I've dropped weight after stopping working out for a week) or eat a little more or eat a little less.....any one thing to see if I can shake things up a bit.

It's unlikely you'll have a steady loss of weight but that is normal.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have lost quite a bit of weight and when I first started off with a BMI firmly in the obese region the weight loss was fairly linear, i.e. it did not seem to slow over time and that continued through most of the "overweight" BMI region and then started to slow as I approached the "healthy" BMI.

The only conclusion I can draw from that is that the closer to my ideal weight I become the quicker my body is to slow down to avoid wtasing away and the harder it is to loose weight quickly. I think you have to accept that if you aren't that much over your ideal weight progress will be slow and if you are determined to get down to a weight that is too light/lean and your body doesn't want to do you will have a right battle.