Wifi at the gym

Options
ajmaccar
ajmaccar Posts: 65 Member
When I go to the gym and do cardio I use something to pass the time and make the cardio more enjoyable. I usually have no interest in what is showing on the big screen tvs so I bring a book or watch something on my phone, and some cardio is a lot easier to do when not holding a book. I have an iPad that is wifi only, but my gym has no wifi.

Does anyone else's gym have wifi? Thoughts on whether this is something that a gym should provide?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Its a gym not a library
  • ChecktheRhyme
    ChecktheRhyme Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My gym sadly does not have Wi-fi. I only own an ipod and not an iphone so Wi-fi would be great to pick up pandora, youtube, etc.
  • melinda3792
    Options
    My gym does. I go to the YMCA. I use it for my music, listen to Jango, but, I do work out while I work. My business stops for nobody..lol I text my employees and distributors and make lists
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the gym's responsibility to provide it, but I do know of a couple of local gyms that offer free wi-fi. I don't care one way or the other as long as I'm not paying extra for it.

I personally prefer to have my mind focused on my workout rather than a book, TV, or app. Maybe some music during cardio, but that's it.

Have you tried books on tape or Podcasts?
  • melinda3792
    Options
    Its a gym not a library
    Our library doesn't have wifi...lol they have computers to sign time out on..LOL!
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Mine is inside an apt complex's office/community house. We have wifi, and I love it since I use pandora. Not a fan of having a tv in my face when I run though...The machines have personal tv's
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    my gym has wifi but I have never used it. Some of the cardio bunnies watch movies on their ipads and stay on the treadmill or elliptical for an hour or so...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    In trying to formulate a response, I realized I couldn't care less if my gym has wifi or not.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I would love for my gym to have wifi! I listen to Pandora while I'm working out. Sadly, they do not. :frown:
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    audio books.

your welcome.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If cardio is too boring, go lift. ;)
  • ajmaccar
    Options
    If cardio is too boring, go lift. ;)

I usually do both, actually. I just like to have my mind engaged while I do cardio.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Wait... I'm all for using streaming music or even logging workout sets across the wire (what I do). But why do you need wifi so bad? Just get a data plan & don't worry about it.
  • ajmaccar
    Options
    Wait... I'm all for using streaming music or even logging workout sets across the wire (what I do). But why do you need wifi so bad? Just get a data plan & don't worry about it.

I didn't say I needed it, just that it would be nice to have and I wondered if anyone else had an opinion about it. Now I know.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    4G device ...go get one.

But yes the gym I go to has it.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

I didn't say I needed it, just that it would be nice to have and I wondered if anyone else had an opinion about it. Now I know.
    Ok. Yeah, all for it.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    My gym has it and now that I'm spoiled I couldn't join another gym without it.

My phone has 3G but I hate to waste it if wifi is available.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my gym has it and i use it. i have 4G, but why waste my monthly data when i can just connect to wifi and get it for free?

i use it either to listen to pandora or spotify or to watch netflix on my long and boring cardio days
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Mine does. There are lots of people who use iPads that do cardio. Almost anyone who brings it to the gym side ends up having it get broken by a falling plate......................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't "need" it but I wish my gym had it!