346 pounds. Trying to get to 200

Options
Hello everybody. Just started my dieting and exercise this past Monday. I've tried dieting and exersice before but was never really able to stick with it. I've since developed high blood pressure and have a new outlook on the future. I'm getting married this fall and really want to get in the best shape that I can. My ultimate goal is to reach 200 Ibs. Totally not expecting to hit that goal for the wedding but I definitely want to be as thin and healthy as can be.

I usually eat between 1500-2000 calories a day. Since I've started my program, I've set MFP to a goal of 1500 a day. At the gym I tend to burn between 700-800 calories.

Since I have started, I have not been eating back my exercise calories. So I have been finishing my days with a net around 800 or 900. I have yet to see any change. Change takes time.

Does anyone have any words of advice? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Kassi_Price
    Kassi_Price Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulations at trying to make your lifestyle change! It will take a little while before you start to notice any difference. Give it a week and don't weight yourself till next Friday! Cardio, cardio, cardio will be your new best friend! And the more weights you lift to gain muscle, the more resting calories you will burn. Meaning you don't have to be doing ANYTHING at all and you will burn calories. Anyways, since you weigh 346, I reccoment you eating more calories than 1500. Because if you burn 700 a day, your body is probably going into starvation mode keeping you from losing weight. I'm 170 and I'm eating 1200 a day. So I reccomend you eating more like 2000. Feel free to add me! I'll do my best to help keep you motivated (:
  • efp722
    efp722 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started off at 322 and this is my first week (started on Monday as well). From my past experiences, Weighing my self too early in the process is discouraging, mainly because there is a lot of fluctuating weight in the beginning, as your body gets used to your new routine. I also weigh myself just often enough to see if I need to make any dietary changes.

Also: http://www.344pounds.com/

This guy, who is a member of MFP, wrote a book (3.99 on kindle) about how he burned 100lbs in 6 months. I read it the other night. With very little education, he just chose to eat 2000 calories (didn't matter where they came from) a day and exercise every week day. It was a really good read, short too. And he started at a similar weight that we did (344lbs).

I'm currently eating around 1700 calories a day, and I don't eat back my exercise. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I need to east a few hundred more a day, but i didn't know the count was so low until I started counting this week. So next week I'll buy a little more food.

Peace,
    Cory
  • silversurfer57
    Options
    EFP,

Depending on how long you have been around this weight can often dictate how long it takes. Your body has gotten use to the suit it is wearing and metabolic set point. Keep it simple burn more than you take in , (net gain). Train for health over the long haul especially now that you are starting your new life.

Be patient and diligent, at times you will hit different set points, sometimes losing more weight then at other times. The days you feel like not training, show up, remember it isyour life in the balance. The heart, (cardio) comes first, the nucleus by which everything works and allows you to train to improve your health , so this is job one.

Silversurfer57
  • efp722
    Options
    Thanks Cory- ill definitely check the book
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I started at 342. I am now at 170. I still have a bit left, but it has taken me about 4 years total. Just keep it up, it WILL work.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place. I started at 323 in March 2012. I'm down to 203.4 as of this morning. This site really helped me keep my calories under control. Good luck to you!
  • AmyMadeUp
    Options
    I have a lot to lose too! I have started a weekly video diary in an attempt to motivate me into losing weight. Try to focus on the weekly target and not the whole journey as it can seem so daunting! If anyone is interested in taking a look at my blog i'll be uploading progress and a new video every friday. It will be called MyFitnessPal Friday!
    It would be great to get some discussions started and get some tips from other people. One of the most important things is support!!
    Good luck!!

www.amymadeup.wordpress.com
  • AmyMadeUp
    Options
    thats ana amazing achievement you must be so proud!! Well done!

www.amymadeup@wordpress.com
  • blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    If you have set it to1500 Cal, and you are 300+ lbs, you do need to eat back your exercise calories otherwise your body will not get enough fuel for even basic operations!

Good luck
  • Keto_Keith
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but you may look into the advantages of a ketogenic diet.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you work hard and are dedicated you can lose big style! Men seem to lose more than woman. If you are eating 1500 cals and burning 700 you will need to eat some of your cals back.. But try good foods like nuts, avocado and proteins to do this... Not junk foods... Xxxxx just keep focused xxx
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    If you have set it to1500 Cal, and you are 300+ lbs, you do need to eat back your exercise calories otherwise your body will not get enough fuel for even basic operations!

Good luck

^^^^ This! You must be so hungry???

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, you are going to look great! And being a healthy husband is the best gift you can give to your future wife. :)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    1. Let the system set your calorie deficit
    2. STAY ON GOAL WITH YOUR DIET
    3. You've made the choice.....take the action.
    4. Make sure that you update your stats in the system

Other than this, the rest is all mental. You either want it or you dont. Prove it to noone but yourself.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but you may look into the advantages of a ketogenic diet.

Isn't Keto just Atkins?
  • ThePrez65
    ThePrez65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First I gotta say man I'm so happy to see just how motivated you are, So many out there say there serious about it but its only mere words with little action. But already I've seen how bad you want this and I have nothing but the up most diffidence you'll succeed. I'm down 90lbs and I can tell you this battle is more mental then physical. Yes its your body doing the work but its your mind that keeps you going. The best thing you can do is surround yourself with positive people who wanna help you and even better if they join you, this is why I love MFP so much.

Anyway!

On the calorie issue there are many different schools of thought about whats correct, etc but like everyone has stated if you are having a calorie deficiency you will lose weight. The argument is how much of a deficiency can you have and it be safe. I'm 6.2 and started at 320 and im down to 230 and I still do my 1200 calories days ive been doing since the beginning, but it really is what you think is best for your body. Just keep up hitting the gym like you are and tracking/being mindful of your consumption and that weight will be gone.

Some other little tips off the top of my head:
    Keep a spreadsheet of your weekly weigh ins that lets you see your progress in various details
    Focus more on your weekly calorie difencey, never stress one bad. Stress just makes you hold weight
    The more you can eat in, and less eating out. The better you can control your portions.

In the end, just be you and keep up the fight!
  • vivacegal
    Options
    So, true..your body's metabolism starts to crawl if you're not careful. Best wishes for a successful journey!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I started at 340 and I'm 210 now. :)
  • 7sherry3
    Options
    congrats on your determination to lose the weight. I think you are doing many right things but you do need to get in more calories bc your in starvation mode. set small goals and as you reach that one set another, to big of a goal you will have a hard time sticking with it. I speak from experience i would starve myself and set huge goals it was I need to lose 100lbs . through help from a good friend in 2012 she showed me the right way. I lost 30lbs in 2012 from january to june . I moved away that summer and lost sight of my goal but Im determined to get back on track and be healthy and slimmer in my 40"s (which i turn this year). Feel free to add me and we can encourage each other. oh congrats on your upcoming wedding too!
  • efp722
    Options
    You guys are all awesome! Thanks for the ideas, suggestions and good wishes! Ill be back in a week or so with updates on how I'm doing!!