Chip Alternatives? Advice!

Options
124»

Replies

• jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Air popped pop corn is only 31 calories for s cup of popped corn.

And its really, really cheap if you buy generic popcorn.

And it's a whole grain.

And depending on how you are doing on fat calories, you can add a smidge of butter if you wish.

And it's nice and crunchy.
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    I dont really care for the special k chips.....so when I "need" a chip I grab a few of the "light" ruffles chips. They are fat free and 80 calories for about 15 chips. I think they taste just like regular chips too

I tried those years ago. Just don't eat too much in one sitting, or you might get a very unpleasant bathroom surprise.

Agreed, they actually almost had to stop making those because of the olestra content (check out the side effects, google them, AWFUL)

In other words, they give you temporary IBS. And people wonder why there are foods I don't eat at all; nothing is worth that.
  • kassandracat
    kassandracat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love fat free pringles. Special K cracker chips fill me up, but they kind of taste like cardboard, imo anyways.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It isn't the same experience as chips, but crunchy chick peas are super easy, filling,and yummy.
    Great for snacks or salads.
    http://steamykitchen.com/10725-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-garbanzo-beans.html
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Cut a potato really thin. I use a slicer I got at wal-mart for I think 10 bucks.. spray a cookie sheet with pam lay out single layer flat on cookie sheet bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes on each side, they are done when crispy. put in bowl and add vinegar and/or salt or whatever topping you want.

or celery with some salt on it.

Or apple chips..
    core and slice apple very thin
    spray cookie sheet
    single layer of apple slice
    shake on cinnamon if you want
    bake 45 minutes each side (approx and more cinnamon when you flip them)
    They are done when they are crispy

I also make eggplant chips and baked fried pickles ( i make my own pickles lol).. well I got an oilless fryer.. so now I fry them without oil. they are way better that way LOL

Most likely you are craving the crunch of the salt.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I use sliced peppers with a little garlic powder, baked at 350 for 5-10 mins. They are great, even my kids love them.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'd probably commit homicide if I didn't allow myself chips.

Can you buy small bags for portion control?
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Try "Pop Chips" if you can find them. They are pretty good, come in a variety of flavors and you get a decent portion size for about 120 calories. I really like them - especially the BBQ flavor.
  • SammyPants7
    Options
    Hey peeps!
    Can you get the special K rice crisps in Adelaide?
    I haven't seen them anywhere!

• djenah79
    Options
    I agree with Popchips! I thought they would taste weird, but someone left them in my mailbox at work and I ate them because I was hungry (BBQ) and they were delicious!
  • kristinhills90
    kristinhills90 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Special K makes crisps that are 27 rice chips for 110 calories. I LOVE them.

This!! I love the sour cream & onion!!
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Seen this on pinterest lol - so had to try it. It was a plus because I love spicy and chickpeas. And research does show that spicy stuff helps speed up that metabolism (:

Take a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and drain em. Dump em in a zip lock bag (or bowl or whatever) and add a little salt (I use garlic salt just because I love it) and cayenne pepper. Put em on a cookie sheet in a flat layer and bake at 425 degrees for like 20-30 minutes. Holy cow. So good. Just don't over do it of course. But the protein is super and chickpeas are sooooo good for you.
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Seen this on pinterest lol - so had to try it. It was a plus because I love spicy and chickpeas. And research does show that spicy stuff helps speed up that metabolism (:

Take a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and drain em. Dump em in a zip lock bag (or bowl or whatever) and add a little salt (I use garlic salt just because I love it) and cayenne pepper. Put em on a cookie sheet in a flat layer and bake at 425 degrees for like 20-30 minutes. Holy cow. So good. Just don't over do it of course. But the protein is super and chickpeas are sooooo good for you.

Just posted this, but wanted to add that I'm sure you could do whatever flavor you like. Like a ranch or italian dressing packet? I do like 3-4 cans at a time. I'm telling you they are awesome. Oh and use a little olive oil in the mixture. Helps with the cooking/crunching(:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It isn't the same experience as chips, but crunchy chick peas are super easy, filling,and yummy.
    Great for snacks or salads.
    http://steamykitchen.com/10725-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-garbanzo-beans.html

Oh yes! They are absolutely a great snack! Also the kale chips and roasted veggies in general are good. I put some salt and garlic powder on them and roast the crap out of them until they are crispy and brown on top. Sometimes they take away the craving!

If I absolutely must have a chip I like popcorners because there are only 3 ingredients, corn, sunflower oil, and sea salt. I also like Late July organic gluten free tortilla chips. Oh, and veggie straws too, but I can't buy those very often I'll eat the whole bag. :laugh:
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to be a potato chip addict...now I'm a Popchip addict. They're AMAZING.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I started eating raisins and nuts or seeds in place of chips and I am loving the better feeling I get.