Restaurants with no Nutrition info

Options
What do you guys do about them?
Do you skip them?
I have tried finding something similar and typing in the recipe but the recipe nutrition tool here is a pain to use...just not practical.

Suggestions? Tips?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just find something similar in the database or google for something similar and use quick-add calories. Or try and guess the ingredients and add them separately.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    What she said^ We pretty much only go to local restaurants vs. chains so that's what I do. I also make certain to get a good workout in that day and try and eat lighter so I have more cushion. Know that no matter what, the sodium will be much higher so don't weigh yourself the next day!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    ask them for the nutrition, they are required by law to have it available for you.
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    ask them for the nutrition, they are required by law to have it available for you.

I just did that by email, let's see if that works.
  • 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others have said, I try to order things that are easier to estimate, like grilled meat and plain vegetables. I also order dressing, sauces and condiments on the side so I can estimate how much I use.

The requirements to provide nutritional information varies by state, and the size of the business.
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If it's fast food, I pull something similar from another fast food restaurant.

If it's a sit down restaurant (like a local), I pretty much just go by the meal I had. Just put in everything separate. Like add you steak, then the veggies, etc...
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat at local non-chain restaurants which are not required to have the nutrition information available so I look for something similar in the database. Look for something from another restaurant rather than homemade. If I can only find a homemade entry or it just doesn't feel like enough calories for what I ate I'll add a tablespoon of oil or butter to my diary.
    It is also a good idea to ask. I've emailed a few places that I go to more frequently and even if they didn't have the exact info they were more than happy to help me estimate it, tell me what kind of bread they use, break down all the ingredients, etc.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    When I began this I never ate at restaurants that did not have nutritional information. Now that I'm close to goal weight and a healthy weight, Im trying to enjoy eating out more and not be so rigurous, so I will go to restaurants without the information. I just try to pick a relatively healthy meal - nothing fried, nothing with cream, take it easy on cheese, I avoid really oily things, say no to dessert, etc.

And the day I'm going out for dinner, I'll eat lighter during the day and save up a lot of calories for the splurge.
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    When I began this I never ate at restaurants that did not have nutritional information. Now that I'm close to goal weight and a healthy weight, Im trying to enjoy eating out more and not be so rigurous, so I will go to restaurants without the information. I just try to pick a relatively healthy meal - nothing fried, nothing with cream, take it easy on cheese, I avoid really oily things, say no to dessert, etc.

And the day I'm going out for dinner, I'll eat lighter during the day and save up a lot of calories for the splurge.

This. I'm on vacation all week eating out every meal, so I've done a lot of this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Glad I live in CA. With the exception of some mom and pop places, practically all restaurants here have calorie info on their menus.
    Can't really go wrong if you eat something not fried and drizzled in cheese and sauce.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition