What do I do when I feel like I am about to binge?

Options
I have very little control of my diet and eating. What can I do to get rid of that feeling when I feel like I am about to binge? This is what most of the time makes me forget trying to lose weight.

Replies

• Checkiy
    Checkiy Posts: 12
    Options
    Are you hungry? If not go for a run or clean your teeth?
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I plan my binges, Saturday is my biggest workout day, so I plan on pizza that day, a whole large pizza!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Chew some gum.
    Find a project to do to stay busy.
    Go for a walk.
    Brush your teeth.

Plan your day in advance so you know you have food coming at certain times. If I know I can have a snack at 3pm, I won't start raiding the fridge at 2pm. Make sure you are eating enough so the temptation won't be so great (TDEE*.8).
  • asmithstl
    Options
    Drink a big glass of water! It helped me learn the difference between hunger and bordem.
  • PorcelainAJ
    Options
    Chew a piece of gum, go for a walk, go take a look at your belly (or whatever you feel is your problem area), eat something small and healthy and drink a big glass of water. There are lots of things, but for most people who are or feel they are overweight, control over diet is almost always an issue. You could try to eat a smaller portion of whatever it is that you want to binge on and then workout a bit harder to try and burn some of it off. It's a learning process in which you have to find what works for you - everyone is different.
  • kellyraesmik
    kellyraesmik Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Drink some water instead... actually hot tea for some reason makes me feel real full.
    And also just try and remember how you felt after your last binge - guilt, gross, full, sick... and do you really want to feel like that again? Thats what I do at least.
  • ariana1990
    Options
    It took me so many attempts to lose weight, and it definitely had to do with my urges to binge. Of course, there are things you can do when you start feeling like that - drink a glass of water, go for a walk, chew some gum, cut up a healthy fruits and veggies snack - but a great deal of this comes down to your mindset and TRULY WANTING to change your habits. When you really really want to change and are mentally ready to practice discipline, you will notice a difference in how you analyze an eating situation. Before you binge you will think " 1) Why am I doing this. 2) What are the benefits of eating this. 3) What are the consequences. 4) Is this really worth it?
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    Kendra, I noticed you are 18. What is your height, weight and your goal weight? You've already have great advice but you may need to eat. If not, the thing I do is plan ahead:smile. Especially for evenings and weekends when everyone else is pigging out. I have slivered almonds on hand. Or air popped popcorn with some Johnny's seasoning sprinkled on it. Greek yogurt and berries for the sweet tooth.
  • brizforthewin
    Options
    drinking water is good but i feel like it doesnt work as well as drinking a big cup of green tea (hot) it makes you feel more full OR a cup of hot water with some lemon juice in it (not from concentrate) .. the hot water makes you feel more full personally .. hope this helps!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try working out then eat some lean protein. If it's only once a month I'd just roll with it. If you want you can make up the calorie difference in the next few days but I normally don't.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    There is book written by Tom Venuto called "The Body Fat Solution". In the earlier chapters he discusses how important the mental part is and how much people sabotage themselves with their negative thinking.

"I have very little control...". Negative thought. You have 100% control over what food go in your mouth (as we all do). The tips and tricks are all well and good but for me this change in mindset has been the most effective. I would recommend the book for these aspects. Lots of information about reframing your attitudes and setting yourself up for success mentally.