SODIUM INTAKE

Options
is there anything you can do to counteract the overconsumption of sodium???? (other than watch your intake!) :tongue: Sometimes it's just impossible to stay under my goal with the excessive amounts in foods nowadays! Is there anything I can do?? Drink more water?? any thoughts?

Replies

• nkessen
    nkessen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dont worry so much about the sodium negative balance. Drink plenty of water, work out so that you sweat, and you will be fine. I would keep an eye on how much sodium you intake though, you might be eating too much processed food.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    drink extra water!!
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    I would keep an eye on how much sodium you intake though, you might be eating too much processed food.

On a normal day, I'm ok (most of the time)...but today I didn't have time to really get lunch together so I brought stuff for a turkey sand. Of course it's low in cal, high in protein, not too terribly bad in carb, but that dang sodium! The flat bread and turkey alone are over 700 mg! grrrrr!!!!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice to upping your water intake. As you already know, the biggest way to avoid the sodium altogether is to cut back on processed and prepackaged foods. When I look at my reports, I am generally quite a bit under 2500 mg of sodium most days but the days where there is a big spike, I can go back to my diary and, sure enough, that was a day that I had something processed or prepackaged or whatever. It is just unreal how much sodium is in so much of that stuff!

As I understand it, sodium by itself probably shouldn't be a huge concern unless you have hypertension. Some of the other things that come along with the high-sodium foods might be a bigger concern, of course! (Saturated fat, refined sugar, etc. etc. )
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Holy man! I didn't realize until like 5 mins ago I should be watching sodium and I've been at rediculous levels! especially today! Darn my dad for making me love salt lol