Biggest Loser for motivation

Options
Does anyone watch the biggest loser? The season just started back with Jillian back on it again! I watch the first two episodes and man seeing those people push through the workouts is def motivating. I don't have much to lose at all but seeing them work so hard motivates me to get up and get moving. Love that show, love seeing people making positive changes in their lives!

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I can't watch that show because I get too nervous when they start out that they are going to hurt themselves. :noway:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the kids...esp. Bingo! He's such a cutie! Love that Jillian is back!
  • haileerobyn
    Options
    The kids seem way more motivated and hard working than the adults!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    That's why I watch it -- I am so rooting for all of them and they inspire me. The kids seem so mature too!!
  • DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am watching the show as well. Seeing everyone workout motivates me to keep going. I love the children they on the show.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It motivates me also! I love transformations and how they show how much hard work is needed to change!
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I watch it and love it! I know I work and cant devote 5 hours a day to exercising, even if most of it is just walking. But to see how the contestants transform themselves gives me hope that I can do the same thing, albeit more slowly. I have less to loose then the contestants (40 lbs to be in healthy range), but definatley look to the show for motivation.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It's motivating to see them push through their workouts, and lose a lot of weight fast....but it's totally unrealistic...
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. Love that Jillian is back too!!!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I can't watch that show because I get too nervous when they start out that they are going to hurt themselves. :noway:
    And it's hard to watch this show knowing most of these slugs will gain all the weight back.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I watched this season's opener and I won't be watching it again. I found it thoroughly offensive, though I do understand how it can work as motivational for others.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Watching other people get yelled at and then weighed like cattle at an auction doesn't do much for motivation for me. My motivation comes from myself and those close to me and those I can interact with, such as my friends list here. Sorry, that show does nothing for me.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Huge fan of Jillian now because of BL and Bob's okay too. Some of it is crap but I watched every single episode in the last 3 months (without having watched it before.)

Bought a BodyMedia and all after watching it. :>
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am very concerned about the incredible verbal abuse that Jillian dishes out. I am not motivated by being verbally abused. No one should be screamed at, yelled at, threatened with dessertion, called names, or have their character insulted. The fact that a TV show presents this as "good" thing, a type of "tough love", "helpful motivation" is probably causing a lot of suffering in homes that are wracked by verbal abuse, because many verbal abusers try to hide behind a facade of pretending that their abuse is actually a form of love. It is not. Abuse is abuse, plain and simple! No one should put up with it.

I am also concerned that these people are being pushed too hard. Who is going to care if they get injuries that lead to years of painful arthritis in later life? The show will be long over and forgotten by then.

The way they are handling the kids is the way to handle everyone. With love, kindness, encouragement. Just because someone turns 18 doesn't mean that is now ok to cuss at them , berate them, and belittle them.

I lived many years in a marriage to a man who was verbally absuive. I have been damaged by it, and am trying to reclaim my life, now, after being beaten down verbally for so many years.

However, I am impressed by how much people are actually able to do, physically. It has inspired me to push myself harder. But I don't intend to injure myself, either.

By the way, I am divorced, now, have managed to get off of the anti-anxiety medication that I needed throughout most of my marriage, and have lost 172 pounds since August of 2011. All without anyone screaming and yelling at me, or telling me I was a quitter or wasting their time. I didn't manage to lose weight till I dumped the husband who used to treat me like that.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Watching other people get yelled at and then weighed like cattle at an auction doesn't do much for motivation for me. My motivation comes from myself and those close to me and those I can interact with, such as my friends list here. Sorry, that show does nothing for me.

Plus, it's "reality" television, so you can guarantee it's lies and misinformation.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Okay, guys, I realize this might not be the popular opinion, but please please please check out this link. It is an interview done with a Biggest Loser finalist who gets into the details of how horrible they were on the show, forcing them to do incredibly unhealthy things and hurt themselves and treat them like animals because of their weight. Read this link and then STOP supporting the show. It's seriously awful.

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    i love the show but not a fan of jillian. i think bob has a better approach....at least he's more real in his approach and genuinely seems to care about people. jillian on the other hand seems cold and loves drama.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Okay, guys, I realize this might not be the popular opinion, but please please please check out this link. It is an interview done with a Biggest Loser finalist who gets into the details of how horrible they were on the show, forcing them to do incredibly unhealthy things and hurt themselves and treat them like animals because of their weight. Read this link and then STOP supporting the show. It's seriously awful.

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

I disliked Kai on the show, and to me, she contradicts herself. If it was so terrible, why would she agree to dehydrate, which would mean that she'd stay on longer? She can argue brainwashing, but it's hard to believe she was brainwashed by the first weigh in. For all her protests about the show, she stayed on until the end, I believe earning prize money. I recall her participating in alliances to keep herself on the show and others off. That doesn't sound like someone who is just an innocent victim.

I can't say she is a liar, because I don't know that she is. But without more credibility and others speaking out about the inhumane treatment of contestants, I can't say I believe her either.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    What do you think she would have to gain by making these sorts of claims?
  • taylorbrown1792
    taylorbrown1792 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I watch the show just to watch it. It doesnt motivate me much.