Weekend Overeating

Options
I so dread the weekends, Monday through Friday I'm able to control my eating habits. But on the weekends it's a total different story. Am I the only one having this problem? Are there any suggestions to curtailing this unhealthy habit?

Replies

• lauriewebster1
    Options
    I'm kind of the same way. I usually do really well during the week and then go over calories on the weekends. Wine, eating out, etc. I have about 9 or 10 lbs to go to reach my goal and I'm sure it's taking a bit longer than it would if I stuck to it rigorously. But, for me, I enjoy the weekends and try not to beat myself up too bad. I figure if I am consistently losing, I'm doing it mostly right :-)
    I do try and workout both Saturday and Sunday to compensate. Hope this helps. I definitely don't think we're the only ones who struggle with this!
  • CathyMW813
    CathyMW813 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You don't say what makes the weekends hard, but hopefully these ideas will be help. I find it helpful to plan out the day's eating in the morning. Then I don't have to keep deciding what to eat (and making possible poor choices) the rest of the day. The weekend can be a little more challenging for me because my husband does the cooking on the weekend. I have gotten better about finding out what he is thinking of making--and perhaps asking him to make some modifications. If I know that we are going out to eat, then I check out the menu online in the morning when I am planning.

I also try to exercise one of the days of the weekend, so that I have some extra calories to work with if I need it.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I used to do this too. I would totally blow the weekends off.

It sucked. I would lose 2 lbs during the week and gain them right back. I got freaking sick of it.

So I just decided - I will log all my food every day. And I will stay within my calorie goals.

I know it's simple - but that's the best advice I can give. I also do a ton of meal planning (so, for example, if I know I want a burger at lunch, I will go ahead and figure out what I'm having for breakfast, dinner, and snacks too to make sure that burger fits).
  • janecl
    janecl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Im the same way. I blame it on cooking for three adult guys. They like they'e meat and potatoes and not so much a variety of vegetables. I've been doing the same as above, making sure I journal everything I put in my mouth and am doing better for now. Good luck! You can do it too.
  • avakathryn
    Options
    I survive my weekends by having one cheat meal (my husband and I will normally go out for dinner on Sat evening).. I see my trainer Saturday morning so I get a kick-*kitten* workout in before I eat! Also, planning ahead! If I know I'm going to want snacks or something, then I make sure I pick up some healthy choice snacks on Friday... I'm really into Lara bars at the moment, they totally satisfy my sweet tooth when I otherwise would have had some chocolate. I've also found drinking flavoured Perrier out of a wine glass helps trick my mind into THINKING I'm drinking, even though I'm not... :-)
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    Weekends are really tough for me too. I plan my meals in advance, but the urge to snack is hard to resist. Last weekend I actually lost weight, so hopefully this weekend will be the same.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Do you snack more when you're at home or out? Avoid areas that trigger your snacking.
  • mghanie
    mghanie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The same things happens to me sometimes. But i find that if i plan what im going to eat on the weekends including the snacks i want to eat then it gets easier to stay under my calorie goal. I usually plan my food around what snack i want to eat lol.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Week-ends are harder; I feel you.
    I binge every friday, and it never really affected progress until I actually reached my weight goals.
    Once I set newer, higher goals, I can see how this stifles progress.
    I need to find a way to stop the food orgy.
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    My weekly weigh-in is on Monday at my doctor's office so it's been 100% effective in keeping me in line. If I had a different day, I know I would constantly be trying to fool myself into thinking I could burn the calories off prior to weighing in,
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this right now. Especially Saturdays because I'll eat bad, then drink, then eat bad again. Then the next day if I'm hung over I'll eat bad again! Bla! Really sets me back! I haven't found the solution yet.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I do cheat day on Saturdays, which is more like cheat meal because i play basketball from 11-2 and i need to eat good before and during my workout. I have a ton of calories banked up after that and let myself have some treats. It keeps me motivated. Sunday's are tough when football is on though.