Knee Injury Bringing Me Down

Options
Hey guys! So I sustained an injury to my left knee and I can't work out for like a month or longer. I've been very depressed because I've been so motivated to work out and live a healthy lifestyle and now I can't do my normal active routine.

Any idea on how I can still shed weight even though I can't do anything that requires bending my knee? Any thoughts on exercises I could do? I've been doing crunches and lifting free weights just to keep myself moving. Any new ideas would be great!

Also to anyone who has sustained a knee injury I'd love to hear any info you have for me that might help (tips, stretches, healing timeline, ect)!

Thanks so much,
Jennifer

Replies

• ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I had knee/ankle injuries... I'd break out the Wii boxing and do it while sitting on an exercise ball... eventually got to where I could do it with both feet off of the floor. You can also do seated lifts (seated shoulder press, bench press, curls, etc).

edit to remove the unnecessary quote.

Also, can box with dumbbells in each hand for extra effort.

My injuries were broken left patella followed a few months later by a badly sprained right ankle.
  • gretchann917
    Options
    Helllllo!

Tore my ACL in a skiing accident last year. :( physical therapy was actually a little work-out, but I found the best way was swimming. Hopefully you have access to a pool!
    I actually wasn't able to do much swimming in spite of my tenacity. If you can't work out, go HARD on your nutrition and make sure you are spot on. I was at 1200/day and managed it well- losing 20 pounds WITH the injury. You can totally do it!

Good luck, girly :)
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I know this feeling all to well, I still have a knee injury that effects me today that I got from dancing 6 years ago! What kind of injury is it?
  • josh0403
    josh0403 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would look at this as an opportunity to do some different exercise routines. Free weights are great, so is ab work. You might find you really enjoy it and work it into your regular routines.

Without knowing anything about your injury, I don't think anyone can suggest stretches, tips, etc. (My knee gives me trouble when it's time to get a new pair of running shoes)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Check your neighborhood gym. I just started a cardio routine (sci-fit) and one of the machines is arms only. They have 4 different cardio routines. The one I do is standing, but they also have a seated one. I did it for about a month when I threw my knee out several years ago.

Love the wii boxing idea - you could even do it without a wii - just box :)
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Me Fractured Patella - took six months to rehab it - really couldn't do anything until I healed - started back riding my bike was OK slowly started running - then bam I fell in a store and bruised the bone on the same knee cap- then right after broke my toe on the other foot so it's been like 10 months for me.

I worked with a trainer and did some strength training on my upper body and abs - also got some caridio by boxing with a bag -they made me feel better because it was some cardio.

Just do what you can if you can walk then go walk - but don't try to do something until the Dr gives the OK.

good luck!
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    I agree about the Wii and focusing on nutrition. I also enjoyed some yoga after knee surgery two years ago. I couldn't do any of the fancy poses. But I did enjoy standing on my feet in warrior pose and others. You are doing great in continuing to move your body through crunches and some lifting. Most people would just sit on their fannies all day. Good work!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I managed to tear my meniscus just before xmas 2011 - and long story short - had a total knee replacement done in august 2012.

Not sure what type of injury you have, but I managed to train right through it all - crutches and all!!

Stationary bike, upper body - lots of upper body, boxing (as long as you are stationary and dont move around), aqua jogging

So from my personal experience - I refused to stop - you can find exercises you can do - and train around it

Good luck - and hopefully you find ways to cope - and get your knee healed up soon!!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    When I first got clearance to exercise with my knee injury, I signed up at a gym. They assigned me a trainer with sports injury rehab. He told me poolwork. Walking in the water to start with, then aqua classes (low impact) and some swimming. Its been 3 months since I got back into working out, and my knee still aches every night, but its not the same pain as when I was injured.

My advice (FWIW) take it slow and steady to start, then build up your workouts from there.

Good luck
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You tube chair based workouts. Tiffany rothe has a really good one.
    I also love the wii boxing idea, and any upper body work.
    Do you have access to a pull up bar?
    What about pushups etc?

Also don't forget to eat healthily.

And dont push your knee to fast or you will regret it.
  • jenniferp04
    jenniferp04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well as of right now I'm still awaiting my doctor's appointment. All of the otho/physio doctor's in Nashville Ive tried so far are booked through til May but a coworker of mine has a husband that works at a hospital and he's trying to help me get a sooner appointment.

I dont remember hurting it at all. I woke up one day and it was stiff and tender. I had just assumed I tossed and turned and did something strange to it. Then it started popping when I bend it but with no pain when it actually pops. Its a dull achey, burning, tingling sensation that sometimes radiates from mid thigh down the side of my leg and stops right above my calf. Other than the popping and aching, everything else seems relatively normal. I assume its either a ITBS, Runner Knee or meniscus issue. However, I've done some at home tests for a meniscus tear and I've had no pain like most of them say I will.

Guess I'll just have to wait for a pro to look at it and tell me. Until then, I've been RICEing and wearing a brace.

Thanks everyone again for all the great info, I really appreciate it!
  • tlheppler
    tlheppler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I started going to the gym when I ran it was horrible and I'd have to stop, my knee gets worse in winter as it stiffens, pt at the gym suggested I lay off running but walk at an incline and its good for losing weight, so I did that for three weeks to strengthen my knee up, I also did the leg press and did 3 sets of 15 reps 3 times a week and after three weeks I found it so much easier to run without pain, so I'm pretty lucky. Some days it can hurt but just know to take it easier n the days it swells and stiffens. Hope this helps a little :)
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    Bump.
  • jeanie_ca
    jeanie_ca Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I thought I had a meniscus tear but negative on MRI; just inflammation from cartilage wear. My ortho said RICE until it stopped hurting and then work on strengthening quads to stabilize the knee.

Stationary bike, but at a higher resistance. (For me the upright bike hurt, but the recumbent bike was fine.) She also recommend squats and leg presses, but definitely *avoid* leg extension machine; something about the mechanics of the move was very bad for my knee situation. Good thing she told me that since that was the first quad exercise that came to my mind! So definitely a good idea to check with the ortho about exercises you can do and those to avoid.

Hope yours is not a major issue. Good luck with recovery.
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    Thanks so much! All the responses mean a lot to me during this trying time.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i completely feel your pain - i've had 4 knee surgeries over the last 10 years the last 2 being absolutely miserable... i tried to do things with resistance bands to keep my leg strong (but never having to bend the knee) and it is definitely a time to explore new food options... take the time to focus on small things like forearm exercises or the things we tend not to think about when we're always doing cardio etc...

hope you heal up soon and it looks like you've done an amazing job already... just another bend in the road and you'll get through it!
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    Bump
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    The doctor had a random opening for tomorrow. Finally getting it checked out!
  • jenniferp04
    Options
    Just came from the doctor's and it's Runner's Knee. Have to do PT twice a week for the next month then go from there.