Having trouble sleeping.

Options
Hello!

I have been having trouble sleeping for quite some time. I have changed everything I know. I have looked online and found a few things and done those. Does anyone have anything that helps them? I have even started going to the gym in the morning instead of at night. I am still having A LOT of problems falling asleep. GRR

I guess it has nothing to do with weight loss or maybe it does but I just need some suggestions if anyone has any! :)

Thanks!

Replies

• BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of issues falling asleep. My mind is always going, and at night, with nothing to distract me, it is worse. What I do is a crossword puzzle, logic puzzles, read, anything to "wear out" my mind. The reading doesn't always work, especially if I really get into the book, but the crosswords and logic puzzles help.

Granted this is not a for sure thing. Sometimes I still can't sleep, but this does work often for me. Not sure why you can't sleep, but if it is your brain that won't shut off, it wouldn't hurt to try :-)
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Can you give us some more info, please?

Think of everything that might apply, such as: How is your caffeine intake? Are you on any new meds? When did the trouble sleeping start? Was it before or after changing your diet or exercise plan? If it was after, what kind of changes did you make? What makes you unable to fall asleep, worrying, not tired, agitated? How much time per day do you spend in front of a TV or computer screen? What have you tried to help? How long is quite some time?

While you may find that no one on here can answer your question, at least thinking about these things will give you enough info to take to a doctor or to a sleep clinic.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options

Think of everything that might apply, such as: How is your caffeine intake? Are you on any new meds? When did the trouble sleeping start? Was it before or after changing your diet or exercise plan? If it was after, what kind of changes did you make? What makes you unable to fall asleep, worrying, not tired, agitated? How much time per day do you spend in front of a TV or computer screen? What have you tried to help? How long is quite some time?

While you may find that no one on here can answer your question, at least thinking about these things will give you enough info to take to a doctor or to a sleep clinic.

i agree with her. on asking those questions. also some of these might help warm milk, there is a tea i know that suppose to help you fall asleep. i dont remember the name of it, but it has a pic of a bear about to go to bed. i hope those together helps you. if none of them helps i think you need to go see a doctor.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    ... it has a pic of a bear about to go to bed...

Celestial Seasonings???

I remember in 11th grade I had this AP US History book that I would fall asleep while reading. Didn't matter what time of day, whether I was at a desk or not, or how much sleep I was getting (7+ hours)..... Oh, I also fell asleep reading about Rip Van Winkle at 4 in the afternoon at my desk. lol
  • migallen
    migallen Posts: 13
    Options
    Actually the name of the tea is "sleepy time" , They also make sleepy time extr and that really works. good luck

i agree with her. on asking those questions. also some of these might help warm milk, there is a tea i know that suppose to help you fall asleep. i dont remember the name of it, but it has a pic of a bear about to go to bed. i hope those together helps you. if none of them helps i think you need to go see a doctor.
    [/quote]
  • rach89652
    rach89652 Posts: 26
    Options
    THanks for all of the suggestions!

I have gone to my doctor and she put me on sleep meds. It helps, of course, but I am sure it isnt going to do anything for the long term.

My caffine intake is def something that I need to work on. I have been having these issues for about a year now. I used to sleep with the tv on and I have turned that off. That acutally helps me a lot!!

Anyway, thanks again!
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    I had a pretty bad episode of insomnia a few months ago. I answered all of those questions and I really hadn't made any changes at that point, but I did used to sleep with the TV on, like you. Now, however, I've got the TV off and instead I sleep with my iPod hooked up to my speakers. I have it playing an hour long track of rain and thunder that I've put on repeat. Now, I'm usually out within 15 minutes, also yoga before bed helps me. The caffeine is something I struggle with, too. I try not to have any after my afternoon snack and find I do better that way, too.

Good luck and I'm with you on the sleep meds. I don't enjoy taking them and definitely wouldn't become reliant on them for long. Although, I do sometimes take Benadryl if I think I really, really need some help.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    ... it has a pic of a bear about to go to bed...

The Celestial Seasonings tea is Sleepytime. It's a chamomile tea - chamomile has been used to calm nerves and help to induce sleep. You could try it.
    I remember in 11th grade I had this AP US History book that I would fall asleep while reading. Didn't matter what time of day, whether I was at a desk or not, or how much sleep I was getting (7+ hours)..... Oh, I also fell asleep reading about Rip Van Winkle at 4 in the afternoon at my desk. lol

For me, it's any kind of philosophy work. 3 paragraphs in and I'm in snooze-ville! :laugh: Or, perhaps you could read the new healthcare bill. Or tax code. That's bound to put you to sleep! :laugh:

However, on a more serious note, you may consider reading something soothing (or at least something that draws you in to the point at which you're in a whole other world and not really in your own world anymore). I read somewhere that reading for 3 hours is equivalent to sleeping for 1 hour. I think it has something to do with becoming very still and restful. Just make sure you're not reading anything by Stephen King or something.

Good luck and good health to you! :flowerforyou: