Guarana? Have you tried it? Did it help?

Options
Hi there,

A friend of mine recently lose 6 stone in just under a year. She said that she took guarana supplements and thinks that they really aided her weight loss.

I read up on guarana and it seems to be chemically the same as caffeine.

Have started to take them recently and feel they certainly help with energy. but I still don't like the idea of taking in so much caffine.

Just wondering has anyone else tried them or anything?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Healthy diet and exercise will work way better than any magic pills or potions you can buy.
  • tiffanyneedstolose
    tiffanyneedstolose Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle of it from when my mom gave them to me they help with caffeine since guarana is one of the main ingredients in energy drinks I don't use it much since I work for Starbucks I get plenty of caffeine I'm not sure how it helps with weight loss although I have read that caffeine helps with your metabolism not sure if its true though
  • cjspawn120
    Options
    I'm a senior majoring in dietetics and conducted a research study with my professor on dietary supplements... guarana is used in weightloss products because of it's high caffeine content. I WOULD CONSIDER IT UNSAFE. It could lead to tackycardia (rapid heart beat) or a heart attack.
    Just because it can be sold in stores, do not be fooled. Ephedrine had over 18,000 complaints to the FDA til it was pulled off the shelf, hydrocycut showed toxic liver in consumers-but has been putback on the shelf after ingredients adjusted. Do not trust supplements...they aren ot regulated. Guarana could very well have dangerous side effects. It's not worth it..
  • skimpyskimp
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I already eat and exercise healthily, have dropped 3 stone and only have 1 more stone to go but recently hit a plateau but thought this particular supplement would help boost my metabolism since my friend has such a high opinion of it.

Think I'll reconsider taking it anymore though. I usually only drink green tea with an occasional coffee or tea with friends so think I have enough caffeine as it is. The only other supplements I take are fish oil, calcium and acidolphis (can't spell it but its for my immune system).
  • skimpyskimp
    Options
    I'm a senior majoring in dietetics and conducted a research study with my professor on dietary supplements... guarana is used in weightloss products because of it's high caffeine content. I WOULD CONSIDER IT UNSAFE. It could lead to tackycardia (rapid heart beat) or a heart attack.
    Just because it can be sold in stores, do not be fooled. Ephedrine had over 18,000 complaints to the FDA til it was pulled off the shelf, hydrocycut showed toxic liver in consumers-but has been putback on the shelf after ingredients adjusted. Do not trust supplements...they aren ot regulated. Guarana could very well have dangerous side effects. It's not worth it..

Thanks for the reply :) Very informative. I would've loved to have studied dietetics, say its a very interesting discipline.
  • skimpyskimp
    Options

Thanks for the reply :) Very informative. I would've loved to have studied dietetics, say its a very interesting discipline.