help please! which HRM to buy?

Options

Replies

• fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the Suunto T3 series. T-stands for training. It literally gives you realtime info on what your training effect is so you'll know whether you need to kick it up and how you're progressing with the workouts. It tracks several months, days at a time and syncs with most gym equipment so your heart rate automatically appears on the machine and you won't have to look at the watch. Just make sure you purchase the dual core belt because you won't have interference with Joe Blows heart rate who maybe working out next to you. I had this problem BEFORE I got the right belt. I was working my butt off and my heart rate was only 134--well it was because my belt didn't have the anti-transmittal feature so if someone working next to me had it then their heart rate would override mine on my machine.

Hope this helps!

I searched for the Suunto T3 but it's not available on UK amazon now - grr! Where'd you get yours? :)
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    polar --- I have had several different models/brands... my current go to is my rs100, back to basics. I like it because I don't get data overload... I'm able to see what my HR is, how many calories burned and if I'm in my zone. I would purchase from a store where you can see several to compare... try them on... how does it feel... walk through the functions... does it seem easy to navigate and intuitive?

good luck!
  • fionadasein
    Options
    I bought a Wahoo hrm - it has a chest strap and links to the endomondo app in my iPhone. I've been using it since about July last year and I've not had any bother with it. I bought it through the Endomondo website and got a discount on it (compared to Amazon) and it came with an arm strap to carry the iphone when I'm running. It syncs to my iphone from up to 10-15 feet away, so I can do zumba without having to carry the iphone with me. The only activity it doesn't register is swimming. I did a lot of research on HRMs before I bought this one, and this one appealed to me because it keeps all the info on my iphone app and it also links to MFP and to FitBit too. I've been very happy with it and would recommend it.

Thank you! This would work for me if I get my iphone sorted -- my old north american one doesn't work here in UK, would need to jailbreak it. Using cheap pay-as-you-go at the moment and instead relying on ipad. :)
  • fionadasein
    Options
    polar --- I have had several different models/brands... my current go to is my rs100, back to basics. I like it because I don't get data overload... I'm able to see what my HR is, how many calories burned and if I'm in my zone. I would purchase from a store where you can see several to compare... try them on... how does it feel... walk through the functions... does it seem easy to navigate and intuitive?

good luck!

Very sage advice. I was hoping to score from amazon to save $$ and save on the in-store mark-ups but perhaps worth a research in-store first before buying. Thanks! I heard that Polar used to be brilliant but the latest models (FT4 and FT7) are poorly made and for quite a few people quickly became dysfunctional, even after replacing the strap and battery...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002VO14GM/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_3?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addThreeStar&showViewpoints=0

Isn't a shame when a great company starts making poorer quality products?! But a lot of people here seem to love their FTs so I might give one a go!
  • fionadasein
    Options
    look on body tronics website..thats where i got mine and i love it, easy to set up and use...

Thank you! :)
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Love my FT7
  • fionadasein
    Options
    For the polar ft7 lovers, stupid question:

did you get the light screen or the black screen? i've heard complaints about visibility so which do you think is better?

i like the look of the black watch with red stripe best but the dark screen might be worse esp. since the backlight isn't very strong?

i really appreciate everyone's great tips! :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Buy my Polar FT4 - it's on eBay at the moment! :laugh:
  • karag413
    karag413 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    FT4 go on amazon got mine for $65 with free shipping 2 weeks ago love it.

Me too! I got the Bronze one and adore it. I also have the New Balance one that you can get at Target. Save your money - that one is much harder to set up and understand. Get the Polar!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    i have a polar f60/f90 and i love it! had it for 3 years now and still going :)
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've had the Polar FT7 for a while, and I love it. However, the FT4 is cheaper and the features aren't much different (primarily that it stores less workouts and can't sync to the website, which requires that you buy another component anyway).

As far as it spiking high when you first start working out. Yes, mine does that occasionally, but it doesn't stay there, so I don't consider it a real problem. I use mine about 3 or 4 times a week and I had to replace the battery in the transmitter (only a few $) after probably 8 months. The watch is still going strong on the original battery.

I do have "issues" with it at my gym. The equipment at my gym can sync with the Polar chest strap, but for some reason, that causes it to not register on my watch on most machines. On some, both the machine and the watch read it at the same time without issue.

If I were going to buy one today, one feature I'd like to have that this doesn't is the ability to look back at my heart rate over time for the whole workout. The FT7 will show maximum and average, but not plot it for the duration of the workout. Polar has a new chest strap that can connect to an iPhone via bluetooth AND connect to one of the watches. The advantage of that would be that an iPhone app could log the HR data over time, along with other date (e.g., speed and elevation in a running app).
  • fionadasein
    Options
    I've had the Polar FT7 for a while, and I love it. However, the FT4 is cheaper and the features aren't much different (primarily that it stores less workouts and can't sync to the website, which requires that you buy another component anyway).

As far as it spiking high when you first start working out. Yes, mine does that occasionally, but it doesn't stay there, so I don't consider it a real problem. I use mine about 3 or 4 times a week and I had to replace the battery in the transmitter (only a few $) after probably 8 months. The watch is still going strong on the original battery.

I do have "issues" with it at my gym. The equipment at my gym can sync with the Polar chest strap, but for some reason, that causes it to not register on my watch on most machines. On some, both the machine and the watch read it at the same time without issue.

If I were going to buy one today, one feature I'd like to have that this doesn't is the ability to look back at my heart rate over time for the whole workout. The FT7 will show maximum and average, but not plot it for the duration of the workout. Polar has a new chest strap that can connect to an iPhone via bluetooth AND connect to one of the watches. The advantage of that would be that an iPhone app could log the HR data over time, along with other date (e.g., speed and elevation in a running app).

Ah, very interesting! I would really like to plot HR throughout a workout too! My food-induced exercise anaphylaxis doesn't always trigger at the same HR and duration of HR is, I think, one of the factors, so would be great to see! Do you happen to know the name of the new band that also connects to the iPhone (or hopefully the iPad!)?

Many thanks! :)
  • fionadasein
    Options
    bumpety bump bump bumpety bump bump...

look at frosty go...
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I also have a Garmin with HRM, but to be honest I only ever use my Garmin when I run, and even then I dont use the HRM with it. I have had absolutely no problem with the FT4 for the other exercises I use it for. I've never seen my HR spike ridiculously on it or lose signal (my Garmin HRM used to lose signal all of the time which is why I rarely use it now). I will admit it that compared to the Garmin, the Polar FT4 looks cheaply made, but it works like a charm! And not that expensive on Amazon!
  • Kimmybean13
    Kimmybean13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40 in green and it's uber cute and very useful.
  • kerriotto
    Options
    I bought a Garmin FR 70 because it easily uploads to the web. I haven't received it yet so I'm hoping it works out!
  • jahilmer
    Options
    This sounds like a ? for your doctor. Your monitor should be one of high quality and accurate due to your condition. Please only take advice from qualified listeners. JH
  • Saddlebags_R_Us
    Options
    For the polar ft7 lovers, stupid question:

did you get the light screen or the black screen? i've heard complaints about visibility so which do you think is better?

i like the look of the black watch with red stripe best but the dark screen might be worse esp. since the backlight isn't very strong?

i really appreciate everyone's great tips! :)

To answer this question, the screen with the light background is much easier to see. I bought the dark background screen for my husband and we exchanged it as he had a hard time reading it. As for spiking and other issues, the only time that happened was when the battery started to die. Replaced the battery and no more problems. We've had our FT 7s for over a year and love them.

However if you're planning on running you may consider the Polar RC3 GPS. My husband bought me one for Christmas. It has GPS so you can see how far you've run as you're going. Also calculates your minutes per mile, etc. It plots your HR throughout the entire workout and you don't have to lug your phone around with you. It's more expensive, of course, but if you are or become a runner it is awesome. Here is a link to the in depth review http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/09/polar-rc3-integrated-gps-watch-in-depth.html

To sum up, I recommend the FT7 hands down. FT4 if you want to download your information manually. RC3 GPS if you're a runner. There are also gender specific versions of each model. The strap is narrower. I would get the women's version. Hope that helps.
  • Saddlebags_R_Us
    Options

Ah, very interesting! I would really like to plot HR throughout a workout too! My food-induced exercise anaphylaxis doesn't always trigger at the same HR and duration of HR is, I think, one of the factors, so would be great to see! Do you happen to know the name of the new band that also connects to the iPhone (or hopefully the iPad!)?

Many thanks! :)

The Polar RC3 GPS I mentioned before plots HR throughout the entire workout.
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 & I love it! But I've had it for awhile now...almost 10 months? And I think I need to replace the battery because there are a lot of times where it won't read my heart rate (will say at 00% for a bit, and then dramatically increase and go back to 0). I'm sure (well, hoping) that problem will be fixed when I change the battery. Other than that, it has the basic features I want (calories, "zone", time, pause, etc) & its easy to use.