The dreaded FAT clothes

Options
Good Afternoon fellow MFP's

I am having an internal debate with myself about clothes, since here in AB, Canada the weather is turning nicer. I pulled out my capris on the weekend, which to my dismay :cry: do not fit. I then remembered my "other" box of capris (aka fat clothes) are no longer in my house. In a fit of cleansing I gave my "fat" clothes away, convinced I would no longer need them.

I begrudginly went and got a couple of pairs of capris that fit, and I have to say how much more comfortable it is to wear clothes that fit!! DUH I was so dead set against getting new pants because of the meaning (failure) but realize that that is one of my hurdles that I need to get past.

So I am curious what others MFP's relationship with their clothes are???? Are women cursed? As a mother, I would never expect my children to wear clothes that don't fit, so why do I put such insanse standards on myself? Why is it such a sign of defeat to have to go to the next size up???????

Thanks for the input

Sharon :flowerforyou:

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I started out wearing work out clothes that were too tight 'cause a) I am too cheap to buy new work out clothes, b) it sure motivated me!!! And now they're too baggy. BUT I don't know how tight your capris were... if you can't button them or you look/feel like you're in a sausage casing, don't wear 'em. I also let my work out clothes dry out after I work out and then wear them again so they're still a little stretched from last time. Saves me from doing laundry every couple days. :tongue:
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Oh, Sharon...I can SO relate with what you're going through! My closet has **FOUR** (count 'em!!) sizes in it that I've fluctuated between the last ten years or so!! I keep telling myself to do what you did and get rid of the big ones...inevitably and sadly, I make my way back to the big size. All the smaller sizes are sitting in a clothes basket calling me...begging me...to get to the point where I can wear them again!! Oh, for Heaven's sake...my clothes are talking to me now...this is pathetic!! hah!!!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Quite a journey, isn't it? I still have clothes from high school (about 10 years ago, and 4 sizes ago) that I'm desperate to wear. I take solice in a few facts...

1) Clothing sizes have begun to shrink over the years. What used to be a size 12 is much closer to a size 14 now...it's for all sizes.

2) Within a single day I may be able to fit into two completely different sizes of clothes. Your body fluctuates...it happens, it's normal, it stinks.

I, too, feel defeated when I have to go up a size. You should still feel comfortable in your clothing, though. NOBODY looks good in too-small clothes. If you wear what fits, you'll look slimmer. I have a friend who wears clothes two sizes smaller than me, though we are technically the same size...I've been told that I look slimmer than her.

To sum it all up, wear what fits, but let your "skinny" clothes be motivation to keep losing.

Good luck! :)
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    I can also relate. I was stuffing myself into pants that were two sizes too small for a while. I didn't want to put my butt into a size 20. I kept telling myself that I would just lose the weight. Then, I ended up a size 22. That is when I gave up. Now I am mainly wear work out clothes. I own a pair of 2x jean leggings (the stretchy-ness appealed to me 15lbs ago) and now they are baggy. Soon I may get new pants despite what size I have to wear
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight, I hung on to all of my fat clothes 'just in case' I needed them again. Well sure enough, I needed them again because I got fat again. This time, I threw them out. Being that size again is no longer an option for me. I have changed my life, the way I eat, how I view myself, and I am not going back to that again. I will NOT need those clothes again. Hopefully I'll need size 6's pretty soon though. :-)
  • rori20
    rori20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For about half a year I had gotten so large that I couldn't wear any of my jeans and most of my shirts any longer. I was wearing stretchy pants and baggy T-shirts all of the time. I knew they weren't flattering on me, and yet I didn't buy new clothes because I wanted to motivate myself to lose weight, and I didn't want to buy a lot of new clothes that I (in my hopeful mind) wouldn't be able to fit in soon.

Finally two months ago I broke down and spent a lot of money on new jeans, tops, bras, skirts and shoes and I have to say that it did a lot toward relieving my depression. I have more confidence when I go out, and want to show off how good I look in my clothes, whereas before I was just sitting in the house, feeling ugly and fat.

I wish I didn't have to do it, but that money I spent is worth its weight in gold in terms of how good it made me feel and how, instead of making me comfortable with staying my current size, like I thought it would, it actually made me more likely to feel like getting up and out of the house, going for walks, and just realizing that if I can look this good at this size then just imagine myself if I lost that weight I've been trying for.

I completely understand the reasoning for wanting to not buy new clothes, but if it has you walking around looking like you just rolled out of bed then you are seriously doing yourself a disservice. New, fitting clothes made a world of difference in my life.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i know what you mean. i had an old work out pants that use to wear when i did gym stuff at school. but i gained weight, i figured ill lose the weight again. so it wont be a bother. then i gained more weight and im like WTH!!! lol so i shoved it into my closet, its waiting for me to wear it again. o.o

also aside of that, like my jeans i have one that is size 16 and i wore that since i was in elementary, but i wasnt that big now that i think about it, but still that is big for a 5th graders. anyways. i still have that pant in my closet, and i havent had the guts to throw it out yet, cause i know ONE of these days ill be able to wear that pant. also there are also other clothes that are size 18/20 and i cant even fit in those yet. cause of how much i gained. so im working my way back down. and their hella cute jeans :) one all Chinese looking :D and the other one just hella big bell bottoms :D lol one is hanging on my wall for a reminder :) telling me to get me down i want you to wear me ;D

but if their to tight their to tight... gotta just wear clothes that fits better can be a little tight but not to tight. i have a problem with one of my clothes like that... ugh, its all ugly, but its my motivation to lose the weight. i also let it sit dry from the last time i use it so it stretches so its works that way for me :) ummm... i watch all my clothes once a weeks soooo that is mainly why i have one set of work out clothes that hang for them to dry so they dont stink or to wet when i use them again.
  • joanna_marie
    Options
    I have clothes ranging from size 10 (I wish) to size 16s. At the moment I would give anything for the 12s to fit, whereas my partner thinks a size 14 is ideal. I can just about get into the 14s but when the 16s get tight that is when I really panic. There does seem to be a stigma about buying the larger clothes sizes, but at the end of the day, surely it has to be better to wear well-fitting clothes in a larger size than squish into clothes too small and bulge out of them left, right and centre?
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30lbs and I stil fit into my fat clothes! Some things are kinds loose now, but mostly I REFUSED to but over a size 12 and I sausaged my big ol behind in all my clothes!!! I finally even ripped my favorite pair of jeans! If that's not a sign I don't know what is!!! Looking back at pictures and remembering how I felt when all my clother were skin tight and unflattering (and uncomfortable) I wish I would have gotten a few things (at least) that fit. Having everything tight just made me feel bad about myself. And now that I've lost weight - I wish I was ablt to go buy new clothes in a new smaller size!

Go ahead and get yourself a few things that fit well - not a whole new wardrobe...but a few things! That way when you lose weight you can go down a size! :) Getting to get a smaller size feels way more satisfying that just having the same old clothes fit better!
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30lbs and I stil fit into my fat clothes! Some things are kinds loose now, but mostly I REFUSED to but over a size 12 and I sausaged my big ol behind in all my clothes!!! I finally even ripped my favorite pair of jeans! If that's not a sign I don't know what is!!! Looking back at pictures and remembering how I felt when all my clother were skin tight and unflattering (and uncomfortable) I wish I would have gotten a few things (at least) that fit. Having everything tight just made me feel bad about myself. And now that I've lost weight - I wish I was ablt to go buy new clothes in a new smaller size!

Go ahead and get yourself a few things that fit well - not a whole new wardrobe...but a few things! That way when you lose weight you can go down a size! :) Getting to get a smaller size feels way more satisfying that just having the same old clothes fit better!
  • Arianna52
    Arianna52 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do have clothes of various sizes due to yo-yoing all my life. What I learned is that if I am going to buy clothes I'll wait for those special sales at stores, that way if I lose weight and don't wear them again, I don't feel that I spent a lot. The hardest part is knowing you spent your hard earned money on something that you cannot wear and then give it away. I would just replace the basic stuff ; like jeans and one nice shirt, and try to wear them as much as you until I can lose some pounds.

I hope this helps.
  • ritadani
    ritadani Posts: 6
    Options
    I actually just went through that this weekend. my sister found out my fat clothes, and asked me if they were put aside because they were too small (wtf?) or too big. when I told her, I added that I wasn't sure if they were still too big, since I gained a lot of weight back, and she made me try a pair of jeans on. and it fit. gosh, I hated myself so much.

I still haven't gotten to the point where I'm confortable with it, I still feel like I failed.
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am on the opposite end of things right now, I got rid of all my "skinny" clothes a few mths ago beacuse I hadn't worn them in almost 5yrs and figured by the time i was in them again (if ever) they would be out of style by then!! Well, then I lost 30lbs which is great, but now I don't have anything to wear!!! So I am wearing my "fat" clothes still but it is starting to look a little silly!! I refuse to throw out my bigger clothes due to the fact that I am superstitious and feel like the moment I do, I will need them again!!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to save one set of fat clothes, to see where you started from, but other than that...OUT THEY GO! Only keep stuff that makes you feel positive. If you have alot of skinny clothes I would be tempted to put them in the garage, so they dont stress me out every day. I started out in a x3 size 24 clothes, and now am large/ size 18 clothes, and some of my pants now are just from thrift stores, and spent 3 bucks on. I dont plan on being in them long, so I am not going to fork out top dollar for something I am just passing thru. Have a great Tuesday everyone:-) Annr
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth - here's my opinion. It's important to look and feel our best - no matter what size we wear. I decided a long time ago that I would wear what looked best on me for whatever size I was at the time. I have a different build - so I might have 4 pair of pants ranging anywhere in size from an 18 to a 26... as long as they fit me and look good on me - then I don't care what size they are. Do I look forward to being a smaller size? Yes.... but I'm not going to beat myself up and force myself to look in the mirror and hate what I see until I get to my goal weight....

What it comes down to is that this is a process... a journey. It's going to take me at least a year to get near my goal weight... I will enjoy this year, enjoy the process and I will look good at every darn step of the way. Because when my time on earth is done - I don't want to have thrown away a year of my life feeling bad about myself.
  • littlecompton
    Options
    I've done both. I've often refused to buy new fat clothes for all the obvious reasons. And, I've sometimes bought new fat clothes and like one previous poster said, I felt so much better having clothes that fit. Just seeing yourself in something new can lift your mood. Should you go buy a major new wardrobe? Well, I would hesitate to do that. But some new outfits - why not? Then when you make each milestone you set for yourself you can reward yourself then too. And when you reach your ultimate goal? Shopping Malls beware!
  • smpoole
    smpoole Posts: 3
    Options
    For what it's worth - here's my opinion. It's important to look and feel our best - no matter what size we wear. I decided a long time ago that I would wear what looked best on me for whatever size I was at the time. I have a different build - so I might have 4 pair of pants ranging anywhere in size from an 18 to a 26... as long as they fit me and look good on me - then I don't care what size they are. Do I look forward to being a smaller size? Yes.... but I'm not going to beat myself up and force myself to look in the mirror and hate what I see until I get to my goal weight....

What it comes down to is that this is a process... a journey. It's going to take me at least a year to get near my goal weight... I will enjoy this year, enjoy the process and I will look good at every darn step of the way. Because when my time on earth is done - I don't want to have thrown away a year of my life feeling bad about myself.

Well Said!!!!

I Love your attitude and I do vassilate between acceptance and self-blahhh. I do have to remind myself that I have more important things to concentrate on than the size of my clothes. :)