What would you do?

Options
Our family vacation is in four weeks. We're going on a Cruise. Which means five fun filled days including all the food you can eat day or night. I'm planning on bringing work out clothes in hopes I'll work out. Then I got to thinking its vacation should I splurge a little. Can I count dancing in the clubs as cardio. Can a frozen fruit drink count as fruit for the day. I'll be off the grid as far as phones and Internet how will I be able to track food? What would you do? How would you handle it. I want to have fun without gaining a ton of weight.

Replies

• Kessiexo
    Options
    I was in a simialr situation awhile ago and I was surprised that actually did end up working out when I was there. If you workout you will feel better about being a little more free with your food choices. It is vacation so you should have a great time and not spend the whole time worrying about what you're eatung but its still important that you feel good about your choices :)

Have a great time!
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I would walk laps around the deck for 30 mins a day and yes count dancing as cardio!!...just take it easy w/ the drinks,they're loaded w/ sugar & cals!!
  • Abbdul
    Abbdul Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    on a cruise trip, i wont bother about my weight , not even thinking about exercise .. chillax have fun , cover up when u come back
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would definitely work out, and you will probably be pretty active most of the time anyway, but I personally wouldn't count things like the walking when you visit port cities or anything like that. Just actual exercise and maybe the dancing ;)

As far as eating goes, I also would NOT count the fruity drinks as fruit. Most of them are made with a processed mix that may not even have real fruit in it. Grab a banana & apple at breakfast and stick them in your bag! Always remember that with desserts and things like that only the first couple of bites are the best, so just don't eat the whole thing!
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go a-cruising, I just relax :) You don't have to be so worried about it because it's vacation. I don't know about the cruise line you're going on, but the one I do has a gym on each ship and even offers boot camps and classes. So make good choices, but don't freak out, and enjoy your vacation :)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed unrestricted foods for 7 days on our last cruise.
    It was wonderful.
    After every meal, I walked the stairs up and down every deck. It took 45 minutes.
    I either took that walk 5 times daily or replaced the exercise with dancing or gym time, and I only gained 5 pounds that week.
    Do what you want, but have a wonderful Cruise!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What I would do would be to visit the gym on the ship first thing every morning to do a work out or do a number of laps around the deck and a work out in my room.

Then make sure to fill up on the salads, vegetables and meat first at the buffet. :)
  • JuliesZenpuppy7400
    JuliesZenpuppy7400 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!!! I'm going to Hawaii for the first time ever but I plan to exercise whenever possible and make good food choices but at the same time I'm going to enjoy myself. I personally have been so strict with myself for the last 6+ months that I'm going to go have "some" fun :bigsmile:
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My opinion: don't focus on calories, but don't binge out just because you can. Like, if you were home, would you make good choices? Then do it while you are on vacation. you don't have to stay away from certain foods, but don't just keep eating because it's there. But enjoy yourself..find that balance between fun and sensible :-). And bringing your exercise clothes is a good idea. If you get it in, good. If not as much as you like, then don't fret. Eat until satisfied, and enjoy your vacation!!
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    And making relatively good choices on the vacation (eating a little bit of everything, not a lot of one thing; daily exercise, at least 30 min) will help you to come back home and not have a hard time getting back into your groove. I notice that when I take a break on good choices (with or without vacation), it's hard to come back in...
  • AZOUROUDIS
    AZOUROUDIS Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went on a cruise last Nov. His attitude now, after that experience, is "relax at your peril' if you are trying to lose weight". If we ever go on a cruise again he said he will treat the ship as a health farm, work out twice a day instead of once (they all have gyms), walk around the decks with a drink in his hand instead of sitting around and nibbling while drinking, and will try to order food without looking at the menu.