Gluten free

Options
I have been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance. I have been on the diet for about 3 months now and must say I feel great! We have things undercontrol now. I am still learning the ropes so to speak. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience they would like to share. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• JanessaDC
    JanessaDC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been GF for about a year because of Celiac disease. I'm becoming pretty knowledgable, and my mom is a real expert at this point. I'd love to help where I can!
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for almost three years now since being diagnosed with celiac. It's definitely a learning experience to figure out what is good/healthy and what actually works. There's also a Gluten Free Group on here, though not terribly active. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want...we need to stick together!
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My husband is celiac. We aren't an entirely gluten free household, though. The rest of us still eat gluten. But, I've learned a lot about cooking gluten free and have tried a lot of products.

We like Pamela's baking mix for pancakes, quick breads, etc. Tinkyada is a great brand for gf pasta, and Trader Joe's GF Brown Rice pasta is also pretty good. Canyon Bakehouse breads are really good too, though expensive. Pacific Rim soups are also good. I don't do any baking entirely from scratch - too many products required. We just find the mixes so much easier.

Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Cross contamination! I can not stress that enough. I am gluten free but I get "glutened" alot due to cross contamination. Have your own cutting boards, colander, dish rag, own butter tub, etc. I don't let my husband cook my food because he's not careful.

It gets easier and you will feel great. Feel free to add me as a friend for support. Good luck.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I am not gluten free, but I just went wheat free six weeks ago and OMG, what a difference. My hands used to hurt so bad I could not open and close them all the way and after a shift on my feet at work, I would have to come straight home from work and put my legs up and cry from the pain in my knees.... Since eliminating wheat, no more joint pain. WOO HOOO.

Thankfully, I'm not celiac so I don't have to worry about minute amounts of gluten sneaking into my food, I just have to avoid eating any product overtly containing any wheat. Also due to the fact that I'm super-obese, I clearly don't need grains in my life at all, so I've pretty much cut all grains out for now. When I'm at goal weight, I'll see about adding some back in here and there but I'm NEVER going back to wheat. I just feel too good without it.
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm not celiac but may be intolerant. After going gluten free in August 2012 I found I don't experience joint pain and don't look 6 months pregnant at the end of every day from swelling. I don't worry about cross contamination and do occasionally eat something with wheat or gluten, but almost always regret it with bathroom issues. I'm still learning about various foods and found a new love for quinoa. The best part is being able to exercise since I'm now pain free.