Can you lose weight eating too much salt?

Options
If I consumer too much sodium, I will retain a lot of water quickly. However, my question is can I keep losing fat while retaining water?

Replies

• Hoebilly
    Options
    Why would you want to? Its horrible for you...
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Your heart won't appreciate it.. try to keep it down. Drink more water the days you overeat salt.. it'll help flush it. But yes, you will loose weight normally the water retention just masks it.
  • thegummyking
    Options
    I know it's bad. I was just wondering if this was possible theoretically.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I know it's bad. I was just wondering if this was possible theoretically.

Hey I'm assuming your a salt fanatic like me !!!! I love it ... can't stop having it. The only thing I did was I switched to Himalayan salt
    http://products.mercola.com/himalayan-salt/
    ^ info on it and a youtube video essentially selling it but it gives you all the benefits that you can read anywhere else... but hey lets be honest why read when you can just watch a youtube video. Anyways ... I haven't really changed my intake but I did switch to using Himalayan salt and you can check my ticker for results while consuming the same amount.

Oh I did kick all spices that contain salt so just Ms.Dash and umm... idk the name of it but it's at No Frills.
  • thegummyking
    Options
    Thanks. I'll definitely look into that!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    And yes, you can lose fat if you are over on sodium. Sodium is more of a health issue than a fat loss one. The water you retain may make you appear "puffy" or even heavier on the scale, but keep in mind that it is water and not fat. If you are eating at a calorie deficit, regardless of salt content, you will still burn off fat.

But I would still try to limit the salt for health reasons, especially if you are predisposed to certain heart related issues.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yes you can - when I first started I was doing Jenny Craig food - total salt bombs!! The way it was explained to me - taste comes from 3 things - salt, sugar and fat - so JC cut out the fat and sugar - and viola - salt!!

I still lost 30kg's (around 70lbs) eating their food - and once I came on MFP and started logging I was absolutely horrified to see the amount of salt in their food....

Having said that once I went to a lower salt diet I found that my scale weight was much more sensitive to my salt intake (I still use salt on most of my food - but have cut down quite a bit from what I used to)

And by the way - I also use Himalayan salt ;-)
  • thegummyking
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • Garlicmash
    Options
    I've realised I'm addicted to salt and can't stop adding it but i have still lost weight.
    the salt doesn't stop weight loss but it may stop you seeing the true fat loss from the water you are holding. I don't weigh myself during my monthly due the the water i hold which can add up to 4ibs but after wards it goes again.