new and could use some help

Options
i am new to this. im a very young mom of a wonderful daughter and im 8 weeks pregnant with my second child. i could use some help sticking to this program im having a hard time losing weight but i know i need to in order to be healthy for this baby.

Replies

• littlecompton
    Options
    Welcome! I just joined 2 weeks ago and am really finding it helpful. Make sure to log your foods into the diary because it's an excellent way to see not only how many calories you are taking in, but also how much protein, fiber, etc. (And being pregnant it's important to get all the good nutrition you can out of food. Remember to eat spinach - it's good for baby...)
    Another fun thing is seeing how many calories you burn during normal activity and all forms of exercise.
    As far as motivation to eat healthy and exercise, the message boards are wonderful. When you have a bad day, you'll find others who are experiencing something just like you. When you need encouragement, you will read about all the milestones being achieved by the great people here, and feel empowered to keep going.
    Wishing you lots of good health!
    Kim
  • zionjeannine
    zionjeannine Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello, congratulations on your new blessing. I'm not sure if it's okay to try to loose weight while you are pregnant. I am not 100% sure but maybe you should (if you have not yet done so) talk with your doctor. That way they can tell you how many calories is safe while pregnant and trying to maintain your weight and if possible to loose. At this point it is probably best to maintain you weight while pregnant for the health of your baby. Then as soon as possible after having him/her get right on the ball and start loosing. Otherwise please see your doctor for your and your baby's health and safety. Best wishes and again congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • lick25
    lick25 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hey I'm Alex :-) I'm a mum to a 4 month old daughter and would like another baby at some point and thats one of my reasons for wanting to lose weight as well. My sister introduced me to this and I've only been on it 3 days but am finding it really helpful, and thats saying something as I've never ever been able to stick at any sort of dieting plan!

When you go to the food diary page, there's a settings tab near the top. In there you can choose which columns you want to see info on, for example, I've added Sugars and Saturated Fats as I'm trying to lower my cholesterol. It's really helpful as you don't always realise how much something contains, like I couldn't believe how much sugar is in some random things like milk!!!

If you have any questions on how to use MyFitnessPal or whether you can do something on it then just ask people. My sister and I are learning so much and keep helping each other when we learn new stuff. Today we realised that people of different weights lose different amounts of calories for exercise!!! The more you weigh, the faster you burn calories!

Anyway, good luck :-) I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!!
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    First off, please check with your OB/GYN before hand since you are pregnant. I was about 40lbs overweight when I became pregnant with my second child and was concerned about being overweight and pregnant and scared about gaining even more weight with the baby. My OB gave me the daily amount of calories that I must hit while being pregnant (1700). I wound up gaining 1 lb the entire pregnancy but my body was lossing weight while my baby/water retention/and placenta gained/added weight to me. Once I came home from the hospital after giving birth I walked out of their 30 lbs lighter then the day I found out I was pregnant. This entire process was monitored by my OB and they added even more calories mid way through my second trimester. After you get the ok from your OB this is the best site to help you keep track of EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. Walking or water aerobics would be perfect for you during your pregnancy! We are here to help and so glad you joined!
  • lick25
    lick25 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hello, congratulations on your new blessing. I'm not sure if it's okay to try to loose weight while you are pregnant. I am not 100% sure but maybe you should (if you have not yet done so) talk with your doctor. That way they can tell you how many calories is safe while pregnant and trying to maintain your weight and if possible to loose. At this point it is probably best to maintain you weight while pregnant for the health of your baby. Then as soon as possible after having him/her get right on the ball and start loosing. Otherwise please see your doctor for your and your baby's health and safety. Best wishes and again congratulations :flowerforyou:

I was told I had to lose weight and when I fell pregnant I had the same concerns. The doctors, nurses, midwives and even a dietician all assured me it was fine as long as you do it sensibly and eat healthily. Starting new exercises is more of a problem. I ended up losing 1 and a half stone while pregnant!