POLAR HRMs past/present owners

Options
Hi there I was made aware of this wonderful device by my girl Koumbay. I acquired one immediately after I found out what they are and what they do. Well I have found it to be a good crutch and support to my weightloss, knowing it tells me my hr and calories dispensed. I like accuracy. As I told my husband, when your a big girl trying to get healthy and lose weight you want preciseness in numbers to make my logging as accurate as possible. And I love this concept for this. I want to know if anyone else has experienced the same issues I have been dealing with, with mine, in terms of it tracking my hr at a ridiculous rate of like 220, when I am just starting my workout, and sometimes it sticks, then after a few minutes it seems to normalize and display believable information. I find it frustrating when this doesn't work properly, I kind of get discouraged with my workout, if I can't track my hr and calories out.. I called them and they were super great about me sending it in and them trying to fix my complaint, but even with a new strap, I find that it still doesn't read properly, what should I do, not worry about those times, try a different brand, which I thought Polar is top of the line. Any suggestions here? I find it hard not to worry about it though, cause, when it tracks the hr at 180 it determines cals burned at that rate even though my hr isn't there. PLease help.
Model I have is FT4 !

Replies

• slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    First, I admit to not using mine nearly as much as I should. But, I have not had the same issues with mine. Hope that the support team can find an answer.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I was going to buy a polar watch, but after looking at the reviews and seeing all the 'stopped working after two weeks/month/two months/three months' reviews, not to mention the fact that they only have a FIVE DAY WARRANTY--- I wont be buying one now.
  • nurselroy
    nurselroy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I received the FT40 for my birthday in November and have not seen this issue. I love it thus far; my only issue was that I could not get the backing off of the transmitter to reach the battery. Though I didn't actually need to change the battery or anything, I was just kinda looking over everything after I received it and between me and my father, we just couldn't get the darn thing off. I ended up just leaving it alone...I'll just have to take it to a shop or something when the battery does die down.

Also, my warranty is for 2 years, not 5 days.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar ft4 and i love mine. Every now and then it will go to the 220 when im not even doing anything but i just turn it off and reset it and its fine. Otherwise i have no issues with mine at all. I would reccommend it even.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have only been using my FT7 since Christmas, but I have not had a problem.. Do you follow the instructions to moisten the underside of the strap when you put it on?
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues with mine. Not only would it read up to 220 but it would read in the 60's while I was at the peak of my workout. Sometimes it works fine but other times I get this behavior. I have no idea what causes it but I rarely use it now. I thought it was a great tool but only if it works! Now I just estimate conservatively what my burn is based on my experience with the monitor.
  • LK0321
    LK0321 Posts: 25
    Options
    Hmm I have the FT4 and have not had any problems at all, I have about 7 months now. I wash it religously every 5 workouts and wear it almost everyday. Mabey one of the other parts is faulty like the part that snaps onto strap or the watch unit. Sometimes they can get interference too. I think my model does not stop whats refered to as "cross talk".
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues with mine. Not only would it read up to 220 but it would read in the 60's while I was at the peak of my workout. Sometimes it works fine but other times I get this behavior. I have no idea what causes it but I rarely use it now. I thought it was a great tool but only if it works! Now I just estimate conservatively what my burn is based on my experience with the monitor.

I was experiencing this too. I changed the battery (myself! - Too scared to check if its waterproof still woops!) and also make sure the band is thoroughly wet. Haven't had a problem since. The moisture seemed to be most key.
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've had my Polar FT4 for over a year. The only time I had some problems with it was after I hadn't washed the strap for awhile and then when the battery needed changing. Washing the strap after each use makes a huge difference.
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've had my polar for 4 years? Maybe more? Never had an issue with it.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 and I luv it. No problems with it not working properly. And I have compared it to other things and think the numbers it gives me are accurate.

Mine came with a 1yr warranty from the store but I paid an additional $11 for an extra 2 yr warranty. Everything but the battery is covered so if it stops working properly you can bet I will be having it replaced faster than God gets the news. (I paid nearly $90 for the hrm including tax and extended warranty so I expect it to work.)
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problems with my FT4. Don't know how you're using yours, but like others have said, I always wet the sensors before putting the strap on. I also wash the sensors with soap and water after every work out. Some people might find that excessive, but it works for me, and only takes maybe 1 minute.

My battery recently died, but I was still able to use it without the watch on the elliptical, and the machine picked up my heart rate from the HRM. I've had it for almost 2 years.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Ive had my ft7 for 2 years i have only just had a problem with mine in the last 6 months. The watch face numbers were fading and i could hardly read it, it was also saying check heartheart. As they have a full 2 year warranty i sent it back and they replaced the whole insides and also gave me a new style chest strap. It came back and has been working perfectly again. Last week the watchband broke i rang them, sent them a copy of my purchase receipt and they sentout a new watchband. I wouldnt hestitate buying another Polar with such fantastic customer service.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I have the F T 7 with no problems.Make sure you remove the transmitter and wash the strap after each use.Also wet the electrodes before you strap it on!
  • weston23
    weston23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input, I really appreciate it :) I will make sure it is quite wet(I do just generally quickly put it under the tap)and trying washing it after every 3-5 uses.
    I really love this watch :)
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hi there I was made aware of this wonderful device by my girl Koumbay. I acquired one immediately after I found out what they are and what they do. Well I have found it to be a good crutch and support to my weightloss, knowing it tells me my hr and calories dispensed. I like accuracy. As I told my husband, when your a big girl trying to get healthy and lose weight you want preciseness in numbers to make my logging as accurate as possible. And I love this concept for this. I want to know if anyone else has experienced the same issues I have been dealing with, with mine, in terms of it tracking my hr at a ridiculous rate of like 220, when I am just starting my workout, and sometimes it sticks, then after a few minutes it seems to normalize and display believable information. I find it frustrating when this doesn't work properly, I kind of get discouraged with my workout, if I can't track my hr and calories out.. I called them and they were super great about me sending it in and them trying to fix my complaint, but even with a new strap, I find that it still doesn't read properly, what should I do, not worry about those times, try a different brand, which I thought Polar is top of the line. Any suggestions here? I find it hard not to worry about it though, cause, when it tracks the hr at 180 it determines cals burned at that rate even though my hr isn't there. PLease help.
    Model I have is FT4 !

buy a new strap with the snap on thing included. mine got stuck and we replaced voth the strap and the wearlink transmitter-fixed the whole problem!
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have had my polarFT7 and use it daily.. I have not had any issues with mine.. I can kinda now tell where my HR is without checking..
    Sorry you are having issues.

I have heard that they dont work on some people with over 150 lbs to lose for some reason.. Not sure if that is your issue or not.. I only have about 91 to lose....
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    The customer service rep i spoke to said the strap you get with it has been boxed tpo close to the transmitter and wears it down. once its repkaced, make sure yoi store them seperately :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    love my ft4 and no issues
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as you (but with an FT7) with it going to 220 or not picking up anything. Some days I can't work out how to fix it (I try adding more water - it's literally dripping when I'm done lol), some days just stopping and starting again helps. I rinse/wash after each workout and properly wash it once a week.
    Overall though, I tend to find it's a hint it's time to tighten the strap or change the battery. Did both the other day when it was having an 'off' day and it's working perfectly now.