I can NOT run

Options
Helloo everybody.
I'm new to this exercise thing and I am not overweight for my height, I just want to be a little bit more healthy.
I need to get in three days of cardio for sixty minutes each. The only problem is that I don't have the money to join a gym and go on all of the fancy machines, but when I try and run around the block or do an EXTREMELY slow jog, I get light headed and exhausted immediately. I eat before, I'm hydrated, I'm just so out of shape.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Shelby

Replies

• BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Start even slower. Just go for a long walk at a pace you are comfortable. You can increase your walking speed as you progress until you are ready to start adding small amounts of running in.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Start even slower. Just go for a long walk at a pace you are comfortable. You can increase your walking speed as you progress until you are ready to start adding small amounts of running in.
    yup
  • roxieindiana
    roxieindiana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Start out by walking and increase your distance after about a week. Start slow and build up your stamina. if you overdo it when first starting, you will be more likely to give up. I too am starting slow and increasing my time and distance every few days. I just started on January 1st but can tell I am already able too do quite a bit more timewise now than when I first started.
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend that you walk before you run. I started out walking and increased my speed/distance over a period of about 30 days. After that I started adding in a little running...I mean really little. Like, I'm going to run for the next block, and then, I'm going to run to the next stop sign. Eventually I got to where I could run 3 miles, then 5. You don't start a race at the finish line. You have to put in the work to get you there. A lot of people have done well with the Couch to 5K app. You might want to check it out if you are serious about getting into running. I'm sure others can chime in on that program.
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    Agree! Walk, don't run to start. Then when you are comfortable with that start jogging between specific points. Pick a mailbox and jog just to the second mailbox. And so on. There are also several workouts on you tube u can do. Lots of Zumba. So fun. Good luck. Just remember, don't try and go too fast or you'll get frustrated. You can do it.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to run? Why do you have to do 60 minutes 3x/week? Find another way to get in cardio if you hate running that much. No rule says you have to do it.
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I understand...... First... Congratulate yourself that you are taking the steps you need to get fit... Then... be kind to yourself... You have to start with a walk at a moderate pace.... and give that two weeks or four..... then.. move to walkand run.... or walk faster..... for 20 minutes... but don't start with running and get discouraged...... You should try Leslie Sansone's ... tv video.... Walk Away the Pounds... It is a cheap dvd at Target.... but you walk ... in your home.. in front of the tv.... through25 minutes..... and you walk in place... you lift your arms... you walk side to side.... Don't stop...... and you walk a mile...... I'm telling you.... this is a very nice video.... and if you go ON DEMAND... on cable tv.. you can find such videos for free.:flowerforyou:
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with walking? You could do short intervals, jogging slowly between longer walking intervals. Work your way up without making yourself sick. :sick: Personally, I love walking. Running, not so much. Good luck! You'll get it figured out.
  • mona_patty
    Options
    I started running @ 192 lbs... It helps to do lunges and squats. You have to be able to walk a 5k before trying to run. That's how I started. @ that weight my pace was like 18:00!!! Now I weigh 166 average pace is now 13:00. Also start with walking 5 min. and jogging 1 minute intervals or whatever suits you best. It will get easier. Do it about 3x a week every other day.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone DVD's are awesome! Give them a try. There are a TON!
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    I can brisk walk until the cows come home but can never run for more than a min... I do not think I could as an energetic string bean of a child. I can keep up with cardio ... just can't run... I totally get it!
  • TeashaLorna
    TeashaLorna Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5K works really well, I am doing it and got up to 8 weeks and then I got gout in my foot and had to stop; no gym for 5 weeks. I am back at it this week and am starting again on week 2 but the one thing I noticed I am running at minimum 1 mile per hour faster than I did when I finished the 8 weeks. At 8 weeks I had 25 minute runs. At week two I am walking 2 minutes running 1.5 minutes. My opinion is this is an excellent way to start running and helps you not over do it and hurt yourself, you truly slowly work up to. Good Luck whatever you decide to do. I do it at the gym because it is really cold, icy and snowy where I live and you can't really run outside here.
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    I couldn't run a block when I started and now I can do 15kms yay!

I started using C25K (couch to 5k) and it was great. It starts off with a mix of walking and running and builds up to running the whole 5km, my first few times I couldn't run the whole time I was meant to but just stick to it and you'll get there.

Good luck :smile:
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Walking at a brisk pace, arms swinging, will get your heart rate up. You don't ever need to run, however, I got to the point where I was walking as fast as I could without starting a slow jog, so I started a slow jog. Now I do 1 minute intervals of moderate walk, fast walk, jog, and repeat. You could also add some light hand weights - it will bump up your heart rate a bit and also help tone your arms. If possible, you might try increasing the number of days you are working out, but do 1/2 hour each. Good luck - you can do this!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Do a walk run, if you were on a track jog a lap and then walk a lap, or 2 laps, whatever you need, and work yourself up to more running.
    Also some parks (or schools) have like exercise machines in them, not electronic, but things like this: http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/300703/300703,1266764623,9/stock-photo-exercise-equipment-in-the-park-47145571.jpg

so you can use those if you can find a place nearby that has them.
    Also, some gyms have like a "free trial" so you could do the free trial period at a few different gyms, might get 3 months out of that or something help you get in shape for more running.
    or there are places where you can sign up per class for things, so maybe you could occasionally spend an extra couple bucks and take a class somewhere to switch it up.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I second (or third or fourth, or whereever I am in line) C25k.

I've ALWAYS been exactly how you described. Even as a little kid, who was incredibly fit and could do everything else cardiovascular without a problem.

But I gave c25k a shot and sure enough that worked for me!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Walk. Walker faster. Jog. Run.

If you still feel light headed see a Doc
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I could not run and had never run. I started walking; day after day. Gradually adding distance as my endurance increased. Eventually I did the C25k. That is why I suggest you do the same thing. Walk a mile (or whatever you are comfortable with) tomorrow. Then the next day repeat that mile. Then the day after that. After a couple of days, add another half mile and keep doing that. You said 60 minutes three times a week, so why not 30 minutes six times a week? Listen to your body. Don't over do it. It will take some patients but you'll see the improvement. After a couple of weeks you'll look back at that first mile and remember how far you've come.

Best of luck and know that your gradual persistence will pay off.
  • marine71
    Options
    Start by walking. Also you can do a little bit of strengthening exercises like lunges, squats, etc that allows you do have stronger legs and it makes it way easier to run.