DDR calories burned?

Options
I just got DDR universe 3 for xbox and I played on Difficult level for 30 minutes..it says i burned 451 calories? Does that seem accurate? I do bootcamp videos for 30 minutes and only burn about 300 calories. However, I am sweating like crazyy haha! Thanks!

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no?! I'm never played DDR, but I do dance and Zumba. I burn about 475-525 calories in an hour of fairly intense dancing at 5'4 and 136 pounds. I would probably take 225-250 as your number. DDR tells you that you burned that much? Or MFP does?
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Dancing burns lots of calories!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've played something similar to DDR so I'm going to say that sounds fairly accurate. If you're working up quite a sweat, you were probably working pretty hard.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think that is certainly possible. I can burn around 400 calories on the elliptical machine after about 30 minutes of vigrous effort. I haven't DDR'd in a while, but I remember that the better you got the faster and more steps you took. If you were at the Difficult level for 30 minutes then 451 calories is definitely a good estimate.

You go girl, being able to that! Keep it up...
  • Jenna1972
    Jenna1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do DDR Hottest party three times a week...and I think the calories they say I burned is way higher than what I actually burn. I think they base it on a very large frame, Lol.

My comparison is this. When I do jazz or modern, I sweat/burn way more than DDR. I can feel it. I'm jumping, leaping, spinning, etc. I'm using my whole body, all the time. In DDR, I'm mostly using my feet, and not even as much as I would in a step class or tap dancing class. Unless you are following the moves of the real dancers in the background, there's no way that their count should be that high.

When I log it, I log it as ballroom dancing, since really that's the closet real dance to what DDR is. But I love it and it's a fun treat to do with my dd, so I don't care. Doens't hurt that DH enjoys the show, Lol!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I haven't done DDR since getting my HRM so I'll have to go and check it again, but the calories sound about right. DDR is such a fun workout and before you know it an hour passes!!
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    What is DDR? :blushing:
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I ordered a HRM this week..it should be here anyday. We will see if it is around the same as what DDR reads!
  • GingerAnneLondon
    Options
    I do DDR on expert mode for an hour to an hour and a half a day. It says I burn up to 1000 - 1200 calories a day. It's really awesome. I am a P90X graduate and did that workout plan for 90 days. I got slimmer but the scale did not change too much. It was a great program to gain muscle with and really a great start to eating well but now that I am back to playing DDR universe 3 for the xbox 360. I am truly feeling the fat melt off. I am dropping 1-2 pounds a week. Reaching my goal each day! I would say that it's pretty close when burning calories. If anything, i am drenched in sweat after the workout and can feel my heart working overtime. It feels like it's pumping all the bad stuff out. So far since I been doing ddr for the past 4 weeks I have lost 5 pounds. It works... keep doing it. I used to weigh 200 pounds and after 8 -10 months of DDR, I had dropped down to 145. It was amazing and changed my life. I never doubt the power of calories burned in DDR. It just happens so fast that i can't say it isn't true.

Good luck!!
  • 1damutt
    1damutt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello All, I know I am late to this forum and you will probably all not be back here. But I would like to add some insight into the DDR question.

There have been many studies recently on DDR. Due to the fact people that used it couldnt believe the results they where getting in a short amount of time. (count me as 1 of them) Here is a synopsys of a study done.

In 2007, researchers from the La Crosse Exercise and Health Program at the University of Wisconsin studied the health benefits of Dance Dance Revolution. The research found that DDR players burned an average of 5.9 calories per minute when playing "light mode." Players burned 6.7 calories per minute when playing "standard mode" and 8.1 calories per minute when playing "difficult mode."
    This little nugget of info was taken from Livestrong.com
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/302934-calories-burned-playing-dance-dance-revolution/

My experience.
    I use to play rugby (6 seasons) and was pretty fit. I dislocated both my shoulders about 6 times through the time playing and as I got older I figured "man Im getting to old for this" I stopped playing rugby at about 35 years old. I could no longer lift weights or regular male excersise. i.e push-ups, bench press, chin-ups those types of things due to my shoulders being wrecked.
    I began to put on weight. A lot of it. I went from 210 lbs.....(im 6 foot 1 inch) to 260 lbs in roughly 2 years. I felt like crap.
    I started doing DDR and was burning through those soft pads and had to go to the full on metal pads. I was doing 60-90minutes a day on those things and not even thinking about it. 6 months later I was down to 205 lbs. I started to wonder what was going on. how was I losing so much weight what was the calorie out put? I came across a website that stated you burn about 24 Calories a song. I was doing about 40 songs a day!
    I was very very skeptical of thinking I was burning roughly 1000 calories a day. By this time my family had noticed of course how much weight I was losing and I invested into another metal pad so I could play at the same time with family members. My younger cousin who was 23 at the time was very fit and could run 5 miles no problem. At about the half hour mark on the DDR machine with me he had to quit and couldnt keep up. I started to brag to my family on how I ran the young pup into the dirt. My Aunt then took the challenge. She is more fit then my cousin and she stayed with me on it for about 45-50 minutes as well. She had a heart rate monitor and when she fatigued at 45 min. her HRM stated she had done 745 cal. I asked her if that was good? She stated to me that her tae-bo only burned 345 Cal. in that time. She was very very impressed. She quit and went back to Tae-bo a week later. LOL

In the above study it states that average person will burn about 8.1Cal a minute on difficult I am on expert. If we assume 8.1 cal per minute is true then 8.1x 60min.= 486 cal burned. If you stretch that out 8.1x 90 min= 729 Cal. so I say all that to say yes it is very very true you can burn that much.

When you get to expert on DDR I figure that your brain is signaling your feet, abdomen, and arms to fire faster then you can remember what you have done. This is why I think that most of the time I cant remember the steps I have done but see that I have hit them all in expert combos. I say feet, abdomen and arms because feet are obvious. Your abs are working to keep you balanced and for the quick twitching jump combos to spin your hips, and your arms are working to help with balance as well.

I have since, worn out my metal pads and getting a good one is getting hard to come by nowadays. I put back on 30 lbs and I am now at 235 lbs again because I havent been able to get back to doing DDR. I am waiting on my new metal pad I ordered and will be getting back into it in a week and can't wait.
    I hope that this response has been helpful and understandable. I am sure that probably nobody will read it due to me being late to this thread.....Oh well I hope its helpful to somebody. Keep up the DDRing and get a good metal pad not the crappy foam ones you will burn through them in about 2 months.
  • Violetle
    Options
    wow I am so glad I came across this post esp on the DDR study!! This is great!!
    New to myfitnesspal as well, have 30 pounds to lose, and to gain lean muscle. Anyone want to do it together?
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't know how this post will be viewed, but please don't attack me if you don't agree with the way that I get to play DDR.

There aren't any DDR machines left around me. They've all either been removed or replaced with the snazzier Pump it Up machines (which I hate... I've tried it, and I just don't care for the layout). I also don't have any gaming consoles to buy any dancing games.

Sooooo, I use an emulator for PC, a USB mat and download user-created songs for it (there are also a lot of "official" songs for it). I'm not going to share which emulator I use, and where I download the songs since I'm not entirely sure of how legal it is to do that. It's easy enough to find them if you know how to use Google.

I was starting to lose weight pretty easily while I was at the peak of my DDR days, but I moved into a new apartment with people below me, and judging from the people above me, the floors are pretty thin. So I'm trying to work up the nerve to play for 30-60 minutes a night during a reasonable hour (8pm, I guess? The people below me keep pretty late hours).

I haven't played it at all since getting my HRM, but I would sweat buckets playing on expert. I miss playing it so much. It haunts me when I listen to songs and thing "awww, this would be AWESOME for DDR!"
  • likerebecca
    likerebecca Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just bought a DDR and dance pad combo on eBay for $15... not a bad deal to "try it out". Loved this thread because it shows me that it does work. Now I just have to not be a klutz!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the step classes on Wii balance board and think I will love this too.
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, the memories!

Back in the PS2 days I played DDR religiously and entered tournaments on campus, this was back in 2004-2005ish. I lived in a dorm and we would visit each other's dorms and challenge each other to "dance-offs". Watching people play on Heavy while I progressed from Light to Standard was super inspirational, and I always wanted to get to Heavy level.

I long since wore out my dance pads years later and eventually threw them out. Haven't played since.

Recently I was thinking about how I dislike workouts without "function". I stuck to biking and walking because it got me from point A to point B, and it was just functional. It didn't feel like I was jumping around in one spot doing the same moves over and over again like I am now with workout videos.

When I was reflecting back to DDR I realized I was at one of my lowest weights. It was SO FUN! It didn't feel like working out at all... It was competitive and enjoyable, the more you played the more songs you unlocked, trying to beat my high scores, etc. So I found a website that sells old school foam PS2 pads and I'm going for it. I will get a HRM and start tracking how many calories it burns, not sure I trust the calorie counter built into the game.

I wonder if anyone else uses it as their primary cardio source?
  • beautylovetruth
    beautylovetruth Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, the memories!

I wonder if anyone else uses it as their primary cardio source?

I know what you mean by memories! My husband and I met on a DDR machine and love playing together. He taught me how to arrow smash and we still do it to this day. He used to play in tournaments when the community was active in our city and it was a great time.

Recently we purchased flexible dance pads from Precision Dance Pads (http://www.precisiondancepads.com/index.php) then modified them slightly (added plywood for weight/stability). Very worth the $600 we spent. New memories are being made. :)
  • NBHanson22
    Options
    @likerebecca, how goes the DDR experience?! I LOVE DDR. I think I need to get new games though, stuck with the same two that we've had for a while. You can only get so good until your feet don't keep up with your brain (especially if you're a klutz like me...) so new songs would be helpful I think!

I like to do Random on Standard/Difficult and if it's a song I'm horrible at, I just "run" on the arrows, to keep the calories burning. A lot of the games have a workout mode that doesn't require you to get a certain grade to keep the song going, which is nice if you have the random song here or there that you stink at!

Good luck all and DDR on!
  • MitchellParrales
    Options
    I personally think it's inaccurate. There are a few things to take into account that the game doesn't. The game only registers how many calories you burn per step, however there are certain patterns that make you work harder than others (cross overs being a prime example) In those cases you'd burn more calories but the game doesn't register that. Also if you keep your feet as close to the center panel as possible, that's less calories burned.

I use a bar and I DO try to stay as close to the center as possible. What I do is I tell the game that i'm only 5 lbs and when I play a 6 minute song with 2700 steps, it says I only burned 40 calories. Personally I think that's more accurate than the 100+ calories it says I would burn if I put in my normal weight. If you want the most accurate reading, set your weight to as low as the game will let you set it. Obviously you'll be burning more than what the game is telling you you're burning but this way you know for sure that you ARE burning those calories.

I'm glad there is a dance games community on MyFitnessPal!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151911945633769
  • stephanistuh
    Options
    Hey everyone. I use DDR as my primary cardio source: 1 hr 5/6 times a week on Expert mode. I'm a 23-year-old female, 5'2.5", and I weigh about 130 lbs. According to my HRM (Polar FT4), I burn about 500 calories in one hour. During that time, I play about 25 songs, mostly 7 and 8 footers. So it's approximately 20 calories per song. I think it'd probably be closer to 25-30 calories for 9 or 10 footers, but I've been avoiding them so far since they get my heart rate too high.
  • kyosuke
    kyosuke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I played DDR today. I haven't played it since summer of 2013. And even then, it was just for kicks and memories. I have not played DDR seriously, religiously for 10 years. But today, I played DDR... HARD! I can't remember the last time I sweat this hard. Even while working out at the gym for 1 to 1.5 hours at a time, it just wasn't well, it just didn't seem fun. For the longest time I forgot what it was like to just move and be active. Today while I played DDR, I never paid attention to the time, didn't follow a routine, didn't keep track of my calories burned. I just played. I played until I collapsed and couldn't stand. And in all honesty, it felt AMAZING! I remember sitting on the machine and realizing that this was fun! And I picked myself up and played again, and pushed myself to play a harder set, and collapsed again, laughing.. and I kept this up for a little over 30 minutes. I swear I thought I only played for 5 minutes! At that moment I realized that my motivation wasn't to get in shape.. it was to have fun. The SIDE EFFECT was getting in shape!
    I made a simple weekly layout of 2-3 days of fun with a good diet (but not starvation). Because whatever I've been doing so far hasn't worked and I needed a change. I'm glad I bumped into this little forum, even though it's fairly old now, but it reminds dedicated me that life needs to be enjoyed.
    Remember everyone, have fun!! The weight will surely come off over time!
  • Rabellaka
    Rabellaka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To everyone who says you only use yor feet playing DDR, I have no idea how you can do that. I use my arms for balance and keeping time, and my body is always twisting to get the forward and backward arrows. Plus, I bounce on beats that don't have a note, and sometimes on the eighth notes.

I'm playing today for the first time in months, after a pregnancy that ended in miscarriage and a broken toe. None of those are good conditions for playing DDR. It's a great workout, although I couldn't play too long because my foot started to hurt!