So frustrated

Options
I have been going to the gym about 5 days a week for the last 3 weeks, and I am eating under the amount of calories MFP is telling me I can eat. I am just loosing all motivation because I am not seeing any results.
my work out:
MWF-15 min cardio, 30 min planet fitness circuit, abs, 20 min cardio
T,TH- 50-60 min cardio

eating about 1700 calories net a day

any advise would be great

Replies

• vivacegal
    Options
    I know it gets frustrating, but remember...the cardio is helping to strengthen that heart muscle and thus, your endurance. I imagine you are putting on muscle and probably dropping some inches or at least relocating them...lol. Try to up the fiber(veggies, veggies, veggies) and down the carbs some to see if you can get that metabolism going.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stick with it and be patient, broski. This is a marathon, not a 100m dash.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    up your cals!! you may not be eating enough
    good luck sweets
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Relax, buddy! Give it time!

Your body is adapting to the changes you are throwing at it. You didn't get this way overnight, and you can't undo it in three weeks.

Keep eating healthy, eating enough, and exercising and results will happen.

You're doing the right thing :)
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What results are you expecting? (i.e. weight loss, muscle definition) you have gone full blown in three weeks, Cardio and weight lifting...good for you....so your body is probably losing fat...gaining muscle.You will see results. Make some short term goals. Gather some friends to check in with here daily. Make sure your diary is open.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think it's so typical of a lot of overweight people to feel frustrated when their results don't seem to equal the effort. I think you're doing an inspiring job at working on improving your health, and while you might not see the results now, there is absolutely no doubt that you're a success. Due to severe disability I am unable to exercise and I regret all the years I didn't move when I could have. You're effort is great, don't doubt yourself. I've read that sometimes changing your diet routine can give you a boost while not necessarily increasing calories. Right now I count calories, but if I feel like it's not working I may try the Adkins' plan for a couple of weeks. Anyway, frustration is part of the process I reckon, but you deserve a big hip hip hooray for your hard work.
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I tell this story over and over, but only because it is true. Sometimes you might have some food allergies or sensitivities causing you to not lose weight. Now it could be you are adding muscle, too much salt, reshaping, etc.

I worked out 3-5 times a week at full effort for several weeks and stayed under my calories (set at a 2 pound a week loss on MFP) and didn't lose a friggin' pound. I was also doing low carb and really killing it. Then I looked up some things online about my blood type and read that O's have problems with cauliflower and should avoid it. I was eating about 2-3 whole heads of cauliflower a week. I stopped eating it and dropped 2-3 pounds in 2 days. It was just messing with my metabolism and blood sugar/insulin.

You could try cutting refined carbs and packaged foods, soda if you drink it. Or just kind of look through your foods and see if there is something that you could be sensitive to like wheat, gluten, etc. :)

Good luck!
  • davidpearly
    davidpearly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement. It is greatly appreciated. I plan to continue doing what I am doing and hopefully this belly will begin to stop having rolls soon.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Give it some more time. :) Just keep doing what your doing. Take photos along the way, comparing them can help you see results you wouldn't normally notice in the mirror everyday.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    "Do the right things and wait." Sounds silly, but that really helps me.

Also, I keep hearing the heavy exerciser's talk about "bulking up" before "cutting". I assume that means putting on more mass before losing it. I could be wrong - hopefully one of them can jump in here and explain it. I do know that muscle exertion can cause us to briefly retain water, and that as the muscles are stretched and strained, they can swell up before they begin knitting themselves tighter.

Bodies don't like change. It sometimes takes a while for it go "****, you're really doing this aren't you? *sigh* Okay, fine, I guess I'll get on board."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't know how big/tall you are, etc...but I'm 38 YO, 5'10" and 190 Lbs...1,700 net calories is almost 200 calories below my BMR. You should net to what MFP recommends, not under that. The MFP recommendation already includes a substantial deficit.

Personally I do mine manually and net to my BMR which is roughly 20% of my TDEE. At minimum, you should be netting to your BMR, which is the bare bones your body needs for proper organ function if you were in a coma. Obviously you would eat back exercise calories.

Also bro, exercise is great and I'm a big proponent...but don't think of exercise for weight loss/weight control...use your diet for that...exercise for improved fitness and strength and fuel your body accordingly. It will make for better lasting results in the end.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    COMEON NOW DAVID!!!! You're young and you've just begun this wonderful, exciting, frustrating, aggravating, HARD as hell journey of weight loss. I got 20 years and probably 100 pounds on ya ..........and Im doing it. I also cant do the exercises and workouts y'all do..........and Im still doin it. I havent taken a weight in a month or more but had dropped 70 lbs in probably 4 months. I got hurt doing something in October and that ended my simple but effective weight/circuit training. Now Im faced with 2 or 3 surgeries in the coming weeks but ya know what...............Im still gonna hold tight to getting healthy and losing even more weight.

YOU
    CAN
    DO
    THIS!!!!

As a poster here early on told me........

JUST
    DONT
    STOP!!!

catresolutionmoretimeontreadmill-1.jpg
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    lessen ur salt intake n see the results........:wink: