best friend's birthday- don't wanna break diet!!!

Options
Hey everyone!

Monday night my friends and I are going to an awesome restaurant to celebrate my best friend's birthday. I really don't want to break my diet, but there will be a lot of temptation and craziness going on. There aren't always healthy choices at restaurants.

Anyone have any advice for how I can eat well but still enjoy the evening?

Thanks!

Replies

• pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I went out to lunch the other day with my friend to discuss my wedding and I ordered water and a salad and you should only eat half of it and then have a small portion of ice cream or cake and then drink lots of water and make sure you have fun afterwards to burn the calories that you consumed :)
  • F1uffy2
    F1uffy2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Are you able to get some exercise in and 'save' some calories? That way you can splurge without feeling guilty or going over x
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you can find out where you're eating, have a look at the menu and get the calories of each thing (or similar things if the restaurant doesn't have their own nutritional info), then you've got a few you know you can enjoy without feeling guilty! That's what I do, and work out so you've got extra calories for pudding! Enjoy :smile:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    You need to look ar the bigger picture. This is not something you do daily or weekly, it's a one off special occasion. You are not going to live the rest of your life never going out celebrating, you just need to fit the relaxed eating days in with the tracked days and you will still go on the right direction. Look at the loss over a month, not a day, and you night out won't make any difference.

It takes 3500 OVER maintenance to gain 1lb of fat. I would be impressed if you could eat all that!

Go out, have fun, and get back on track the next day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well, you can always "bank" calories by eating light for the rest of the day and doing some extra working out. Or you can just have a cheat day/meal and enjoy it!
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Can you get a copy of the menu in advance so you can check out which is the best option? Saves you being tempted on the night.

Most menus have something that's better than the rest, or that can be adapted by asking for it to be prepared in a slightly different way. Most places are happy to cobble something together for you off menu too so long as they have the ingredients and it's not too big a hassle.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You need to look ar the bigger picture. This is not something you do daily or weekly, it's a one off special occasion. You are not going to live the rest of your life never going out celebrating, you just need to fit the relaxed eating days in with the tracked days and you will still go on the right direction. Look at the loss over a month, not a day, and you night out won't make any difference.

It takes 3500 OVER maintenance to gain 1lb of fat. I would be impressed if you could eat all that!

Go out, have fun, and get back on track the next day.
    ^This, although I do understand that this is harder when you have only just started. It gets easier the more sure you are of your commitment, when you know that you will be straight back on track the next day.

I would say, try and get some exercise on that day to get some extra calories. Consider saving a couple of hundred from the day before. If you can see the menu beforehand, that will help you make choices that you feel more comfortable with. Whatever happens though, try not to make it a huge deal in your head, or beat yourself up if you do go over calories. Also, expect to see a gain on the scales the next day even if you keep to your goal. Restaurant food is often high in sodium so you are bound to retain some water.

Just don't panic. One meal never made anyone fat, and one meal is not going to derail your progress. It's how you eat most of the time that counts. Try not to look at this as a "diet" that can be "broken", but a new lifestyle that is flexible and allows you to lose/maintain weight while still living your life.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I understand not wanting to deviate when you've just started. Order something reasonably healthy without stressing about the calories - a salad and soup, grilled chicken/fish with veggies, etc. Just don't ovestuff yourself to where you'll feel bad the next day. Have fun!
  • sevkar
    sevkar Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks everyone! I have taken everyone's advice. I am working out the morning of the bday and eating a healthier option at the restaurant.

Thanks everyone for your help! It was very much appreciated :)