Do you plan out your dinners for the week?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
For example, we usually do "taco tuesdays" but nothing else is really planned. I need some ideas for meal plans for each night of the weeks because I'm SO sick of saying "Ok, what am I making tonite?" Ugh.

Does anyone plan their dinners in advance? I need ideas please!

Replies

• krislew
    krislew Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We go grocery shopping every 2 weeks so I plan out my menus for 2 weeks in advance. Then every night I plan out my whole day of eating for the next day.

I pretty much have staple meals that I rotate. Then every once in awhile I come across a new recipe to try. I used to keep a binder in the kitchen with all my meals then I could just flip through it to plan, but I've gotten lazy about that part of it.
  • Garcialynne
    Options
    I so wanna meal plan. We grocery shop once a week and I end up kinda planning while grocery shopping but it would be so nice to be able to have it all planned when I go grocery shopping. I know it will be easier when I finally get back to working straight days. I rotate between evening and days, the month I am on evenings is a really hard month.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I have a big dry erase board in the kitchen with our schedules on it and I also plan all the meals for the month on it based on how busy that evening is. I like the dry erase because if I have to change it I don't have a meltdown!! I usually plan 1-2 leftover nights depending on what we have. Though we also have leftovers for lunch. I keep a list of meals that we like and go from that list, I also try at least 2-3 new meals a month and if they are good they get added to the list and if they are not-well at least we tried it! I try to have fish at least once a week and meat from animals with four legs no more than once a week.
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    I don't really plan my meals. I used to try to plan, but I found myself saying "eh, I don't feel like having that" far too often. I will get some different meats out of the freezer every couple of days and make my meals based on that. I just usually keep my fridge stocked with veggies so I can make whatever I want.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Um, not really...I usually buy 2 different kinds of meats and make mental notes of what I CAN make with them and then what I'm in the mood for determines what I make that night. Tonight, tilapia and asparagus (going on 3 nights in a row but I'm not tired of it yet!!!). Tomorrow is blackened tilapia with Mexican style rice. Friday I might do fajitas since I haven't done that in awhile. Saturday is usually a pasta day kind of to reward myself for my hard work during the week and I just usually crave pasta then and I don't eat it much so it's okay. :happy:

So, in short...no. If I go with a set plan, it's only the day before (I just planned all of tomorrow's meals and put them in my diary) otherwise I will not be in the mood for it and usually go over my calories because I changed the plan...whereas, with no plan, I can mentally add how many calories I'm during the day - versus having to add & subtract from what I ate according to plan and what I didn't. Does that make sense? I guess I'm just lazy with math. :tongue:
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I've never really planned my meals before but tried it this week.. It worked up to a point but I got a bit too obsessed with it and fell off the wagon. I think it works best for me when I dont plan..
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    We plan them 2 weeks at a time and use that for grocery shopping. We don't designate a particular meal to each day, just 14 dinners in general knowing that a few of those nights are weekends when we have time for more elaborate cooking. I have some staples that I use for night when we forget to take something out . . . such as potato and broccoli frittatas (yum). I do find it is easier to stick to healthy eating when you plan ahead as you are not starving and thinking about all those options on an empty stomach.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I used to hate meal planning, but since January I've been using a service called thescramble.com. Fresh meal ideas for every week, grocery lists, and I can customize by picking any meal in the database if I don't like the week's offerings. We have found several new meals that we love and every single one is either under 400 cals a meal or could be customized to meet that kind of cal requirement.

Every Sunday morning, I go to the website and pick meals for the week, then make a grocery list from my selections. I only need to grocery shop once a week and my husband knows exactly what we're doing and often cooks while I go exercise after I get off work. It's been great.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I go through recipes and store sales and make a weekly menu. I display the menu on the frig for the family to see. I use the dinner leftovers for lunches through out the week or I plan one night to be left over night. I go to the store once a week and have Organic fruits and veggies delivered to the house every other week. We eat out at least once on the weekend.

It is time comsuming to make the menu but less stressful and saves time to know what to cook for dinner. Plus if mom is busy someone else can look at the menu and start dinner - no problem.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We go grocery shopping weekly so I usually try and plan out a several meals I can make at any given time during that week. This way - the schedule remains flexible but I have the stuff on hand to make so there is no option of saying "We don't have anything to make? Let's just go out tonight!" And if a meal doesn't get made - no biggie. We can carry it over to next week.

Also - I have a few healthy recipes that are well-received by DH and my little boys (one of whom is an EXTREMELY picky eater!). Let me know if you're interested.
  • Mludwig04
    Options
    I always pick one or two different dinners to make and eat for the week. I generally have pretty much the same breakfasts and lunches. I have found if I don't pick recipes to make for dinner I won't know what to eat and I end up eating food that isn't good for me and I eat too much cause nothing sounds good. I do much better when I plan in advance
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i love menu planning! i post my menu on my blog each week. we always have one night of left-overs and one night eating out. some weeks we are great at sticking to it and some weeks it is only a general guideline. feel free to stop by and follow me; the new menus are posted every sunday (http://www.everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com). this week is:

sunday - bacon-wrapped filet mignon with blueberry-bourbon barbeque sauce
    potato salad
    pears baked in riesling with blue cheese

monday - corn and broccoli calzone
    zucchini, tomato and provolone bake (allrecipe.com recipe)
    salad with walnuts and dried figs in a gorgonzola-honey dressing
    honeydew melon

tuesday - hot ham and gruyere sandwiches
    brussel sprouts with roasted garlic in browned butter
    yogurt
    clementines

wednesday - eat out at 'buffalo wild wings' (school fundraiser)

thursday - eat out at 'tacos & salsa'

friday - left-overs

saturday - breakfast burritos (green chili?)
    ranch potato cubes
    pumpkin banana muffins with lemon icing
    strawberries

sunday - grapefruit-mint chicken
    cambozola cheese on rosemary crackers
    asparagus with prosciutto and pine nuts
    blackberries
    cream cheese and mango kolaches
  • sonnacchio
    sonnacchio Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've done the meal planning both ways - I've gone to the store and bought random things that could make a meal, and I've planned meals in advance. Right now, I'm planning a week's worth of meals, going to the cupboards and fridge, and making a list of what I need BEFORE going to the store. I have found that this saves me: time, money, and additional trips to the store for what was forgotten.

I've been posting my weekly menu to my blog...not because anybody reads it, or has asked for it, but so I remind myself what is for dinner. I often get the comment from friends, "But what if you get to that night and don't feel like eating that?" Honestly, I find that the family gets excited about items on the menu and in general, we all look forward to what is coming up. If we go out for dinner unexpectedly, or have a change in plans, it is OK. I just shift everything back a day.

My weekly menus are not fancy. I am a working mom of a family of four and I can't be spending 3 hours making a sauce or prepping crazy things to roast, bake, or braise. For example, this weeks menu:

Monday - Baked fish on spinach (for me and hubby), fish sticks and fries(for the kiddies)
    Tuesday - tacos & taco salad
    Wednesday - Homemade taco soup (a recipe from weight watchers)
    Thursday - Chicken and Broccoli Quesadillas
    Friday - Flat bread pizzas
    Saturday - Pulled pork sandwiches & leftovers
    Sunday - sausage & mushroom frittata

I find that I am able to control my eating and activity levels so I can eat with the family and still lose weight. I substitute salad and veggies a lot for items that I still make for them and I chew gum while I cook. If I don't, I munch. That is what gets me in trouble.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    We have a giant wall calendar we keep in our kitchen. Every other Saturday, before we go grocery shopping, we plan out all our dinners for the pay period (a two week span for us). Then we open up our grocery list, write down all the ingredients we need for those meals, and build from there. It saves us time and unnecessary spending!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I try to meal plan for the most part. I don't write it down but know what we are having every night for supper. We sometime eat out once a week. This week we had or are having hot dogs and beans, streak and cheese subs, cheese burger subs, Pork Pie, Baked chicken breast, Homemade Pizza. I freeze or have leftovers for lunch. I just find that it is easy to have a plan then you aren't standing in the Kitchen wondering what you are going to have and settling for something that isn't the healthiest but it was the easiest. I go shopping once a week. spending $60 to $150 depending on the week and if I have to buy household items. I'm in search of some new meal ideas. This week I have stirred the meal up a little ~ we were having chicken a lot for a where there. I try to buy meat when it is on sale then come home and pack it in food save bags and freeze it. We also buy a pig every year but this year might me our last year.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    its just me and my hubby and I plan all of my food for a week at a time. You can check out my food diary if you want. It helps me so I don't have to think about it during the day. I just look up what I am supposed to eat. I can always change things up if I want.