Weighing in after a binge?

Options
This is my first post since being on MFP. Up until this morning, I had lost 2 lbs following MFP. Yesterday, as with all Friday afternoons, I raided the pantry, and then went out to dinner. Needless to say, I saw a 3 lb. weight gain since yesterday morning! How much of this is "real weight" and how much is sodium retention, etc... Also, any suggestions how to break the Friday afternoon binge?

Replies

• kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Chances are a lot of it is sodium and water retention, though, of course some of it is actual weight too. I don't worry too much if I overdo it occasionally. I find that if I completely deny myself, I'll never attain my goals. Just be aware of it and try to moderate it. Be extra careful today, since you weren't so careful last night. Even it out. That's what I try to do anyway
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: This is interesting ... might help ! http://dietbiz.com.au/articles.htm
  • asdjlo
    asdjlo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    An idea to break the binge habit is to sign up for a fitness class on Friday afternoons around the time you usually have your binge (if it is around the same time) or sign up for another type of class that you may be interested in if it is available at a local park district or something. I know I tend to eat more on the weekend when the kids are home from school so I try to save all of my laundry and major house cleaning for the weekends so I stay busy and don't get bored and eat out of boredom.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could save some calories so you can go a little (A LITTLE) crazy on Friday
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    An idea to break the binge habit is to sign up for a fitness class on Friday afternoons around the time you usually have your binge (if it is around the same time) or sign up for another type of class that you may be interested in if it is available at a local park district or something. I know I tend to eat more on the weekend when the kids are home from school so I try to save all of my laundry and major house cleaning for the weekends so I stay busy and don't get bored and eat out of boredom.

GREAT IDEA ON THE CLASS DURING A BINGE TIME, but do they schedule fitness classes at 1 am?? hehehehe:laugh: :yawn:
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Chances are a lot of it is sodium and water retention, though, of course some of it is actual weight too. I don't worry too much if I overdo it occasionally. I find that if I completely deny myself, I'll never attain my goals. Just be aware of it and try to moderate it. Be extra careful today, since you weren't so careful last night. Even it out. That's what I try to do anyway

i agree. Don't even bother weighing in after a binge night! The sodium causes you to retain water which will = increased weight!!! We all deserve a binge now and then guilt free. Wait 3 days and then weigh in. Stay on it!
  • DoctorKatey
    Options
    If the binge is inevitable, how about moving the weigh-in to Thursday morning instead of Friday? That way you can see results on the scale, have your treat at the usual time, and use the rest of the week to burn it off.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Raiding the pantry the going out for dinner is not a binge, it's over eating or over indulgence. Stop punishing yourself with deprivation, negative language and exaggeration.
  • Juashmom
    Options
    Happens to me all the time....We went on vacation Thanksgiving week so my entire week was a binge...not uncommon to be 1000 over in my calories every day...needless to say i was up about 6lbs...a week of eating right it was right back down and then I lost a few more the following week....Christmas followed...same thing...don't sweat it drink extra water get back on track and those couple lbs will be gone before you know it.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The idea about an exercise class during the binge period was good. In addition:

- - Empty the pantry;
    - - Drink water instead of eating;
    - - THINK about what you're doing before and during bingeing. Acknowledge that you're making a choice to overeat and undo your hard-earned weight loss.
  • Grensy11
    Grensy11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is all so helpful! Keep the suggestions coming. I was always a little shy about posting this issue on MFP, but the support has been better than I ever anticipated.