Hunger and mood swings

Options
Ugh, any advice for people like me who have mood swings due to hunger/fullness?

Twice this week, I noticed how much happier I am after a good dinner, and how slightly insecure/depressed I felt before said dinner. The negative emotions weren't overpowering, but they were uncharacteristic. Yesterday after dinner, I was so elated I had a hysterical giggling fit until I cried which was fun, but that's just not like me and I'd rather not have it if the cost is insecurity/depression.

I know to some extent our moods are all affected by food, but this seems extreme. Is it a newbie thing that will pass? Any advice at all on this?

Replies

• biolicious
    Options
    More info: I don't feel like I'm starving between meals. I'm only set up to lose a pound a week, and so far that's working just fine.
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    you will get better opinions if you open your diary ( home, settings, profile privacy settings). .... or we could play 20 questions ???
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I've had a good cry after a good workout. My first few weeks of dieting made me feel like an ax murderer. In my opinion, go with it and don't look for things to stress over,
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I can feel that way sometimes too: if I've been having a down/insecure day, like you said, a good solid dinner can really make me feel better. Not giggling hysterically, but calmer and more balanced. I have no idea if there's something nutritional going on because I don't necessarily eat anything different than what's in my normal diet, but I suppose if I haven't been eating as well as I should have for a few days prior, then it might make a difference.

I think the other reason that it helps me is the ambience. When I'm having a day where I know dinner will help, I often go out to eat (e.g., Panera) and bring a book to read. First of all, I'm not alone then, which might help. I probably eat more when I go out (calorie-wise I certainly do), too. Sometimes I stay home and cook but I'm cooking to be nice to myself, not cooking because I need to eat. As a result, I'm focused on the food/cooking, which becomes an extension of the meal (instead of running into the kitchen every few minutes while I'm trying to do something else). I probably eat a little more than usual at these meals too.

At home or eating out, if I take some "me time" and combine it with a filling meal, I generally feel better afterwards, but I think it's the combination that makes the difference.
  • biolicious
    Options
    Changed the diary settings. Sorry, kinda new here.

Thanks for the advice, guys.