Bright red face!

Options
I really want to join a gym but one thing is holding me back . When I work out I go bright red in the face and sweat LOADS from my face and head. I find it hugely embarrassing and it makes me so self-conscious. I am not super fit but I am not unfit either. After running on a treadmill for 30 mins, however, I look like I am about to die. I once had a lady approach me in the locker room and ask if my blood pressure was ok. Has anyone else ever had this problem and have any advice on how to tackle it? Please don't tell me it is normal and not to worry about it. It isn't; I have never seen another person look anywhere near as red in the face as I go. I know health wise I am fine, I would just appreciate any advice anyone can offer on how to prevent/ conceal the problem.

Replies

• melda6
    melda6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been the same way since I was a teenager, to the point where my high school teachers would pull me off the track because they were afraid I was going to pass out. For me, it's just a side effect of being pretty pale; I get cherry red when slightly embarrassed, stressed, or angry. Don't let it stop you from joining a gym if you really want to! As far as I know, there's not really any way to prevent or conceal it.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My face gets really red too. People have made comments to me as well. No worries. Do what you want to do and join your gym. Best wishes!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have the same problem and it used to make me not want to go to the gym as well. I have pretty bad rosacea so my face is usually red as it is, and goes flaming bright red after only a few minutes of exertion. I also sweat like a beast. There's not really anything we can do about it, noone else at the gym gives a flying eff what I am doing or the colour of my skin...I just have to remind myself of that when I start to feel embarassed.

People used to ask about my blood pressure as well, due to the redness of my face. So I got it tested and was perfectly fine. Some people are just red.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I know I just need to get the f over it but I find it soo hard! I was actually thinking of trying some of those anti-redness creams or make-ups that people with rosecea use?? Vanity gone mad, I know, but maybe worth a try??
  • ruffian25
    Options
    I'm the same, I get flushed when I do cardio and lift. I'm dripping sweat from face 10min into a cardio session and look like I just got out of the shower when I'm done.

I dont let it bother me, just make sure I always have a towel to wipe my face, neck off between sets. No one has really ever said anything to me about it other than you look like you had a good workout. I've always gone by the motto if you look good when you're done you're not working hard enough.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Everyone is too busy thinking about what they look like to think about what you look like. I go really red when I run and it takes me ages to calm down, but frankly I don't care what anyone else thinks of my rosy cheeks :)
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    I have the same thing and I hate it! My mom has the same thing, but it seems to get worse and last longer as you get older (sorry, not trying to make you feel worse about it). It is embarrassing, but who really cares what other people think? Just do your thing and don't let something like this stop you from being healthy. Actually, this was one reason why I started swimming laps a few years ago. But I don't have access to a pool at the gym anymore, so I just sweat and look red in my classes now. Good luck!
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It probably is Rosacea. You should see a dermatologist, because progresses if it is not treated. The damage and redness can get worse & worse. I left mine untreated for several years, and had lots of veins and bright redness showing on my face. I ended up doing laser treatments to lessen the look of the damage. Treatment consists of using a cream or gel daily so it is not anything hard to do. But the OTC stuff will not stop the damage or the progression of rosacea.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I went swimming last week, got the reddest face ever ! I wore goggles which left my mascara streaked and I had red panda eyes. What a state - but honestly I dont care anymore. I am exercising and starting to get healthier. That is my motivator - in fact seeing people try not to stare is sort of funny. I have just "got over myself" by the Spring I will look a million times better. I do understand though how hard it is. Love yourself first, and just be proud. Good luck
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    My face always gets red when I do cardio. It doesn't matter how much I'm running, it just does. I'm also one of those that gets red faced when I drink. You can either (1) be embarrassed and never work out again and suffer the ill health effects or (2) deal with it.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yup I get super red esp with cardio!! I noticed my oldest boy does also after a basketball game or whatever too.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I love the red face. I should post a picture of me after a run. It's ghastly, but when I'm dripping wet and bright red, 20 minutes later after a shower, I look refreshed and seriously glowing. All that blood flow to the hair and face and BRAIN is a good thing.

Don't be embarrassed about feeding fresh oxygen to your cranium.
  • phiddy23
    phiddy23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm the same, not just my cheeks, my entire face. I'm too embarrassed to exercise in front of my friends but I find at the gym people don't tend to notice, and there is usually one other person in there who doesn't look overly fit which tends to reassure me. Plus the more exercise I do, the less red I am getting at the end of working out, the more you do it, the more your body will get used to it, you really have to just take the plunge. An alternative is running outside and exercising in your own home to DVDs etc.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Just go in there and kill it. Do your thing, most of us are embarrassing on some level. :wink:
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My face ALWAYS gets red... I get embarrassed very easy so that'll cause it or alcohol or working out... I also sweat a lot I guess I just take it as I'm working hard... But I've had people mention to me my face is really red or ask if I'm ok I just kind of laugh it off dont let that hold you back you got this!!
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with the redness, but I also am a sweaty kid. Obviously, if you wear dark colors, the sweat is less visible on your clothes. For face/head sweating, I seriously wear an old-school style sweatband/headband at my hairline. At first I was a little shy about it and wore black ones, but then I realized that I have this big old thing on my (blonde) head, everyone can see it, so I might as well rock it. Now I have some neon ones, a sparkly one, one with a little bow, etc. I get compliments on them! I They really do help absorb and deflect the sweat (even if it is somewhat gross wringing them out afterwards!).
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If I think hard enough about it, I can't remember one person I saw at the gym this week or last week. Most people are focused on themselves (or the magazine they are reading on the treadmill, or their breathing) so much, they notice nothing. Plus, if I was at the gym and saw someone red faced and sweating I would think "I have got to step up my game and work harder, she is obviously working harder than me!" No worries! Good luck
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I too get bright bright red when working out....10 mins into a cardio workout and my entire head is soaking wet and my face is so red it looks like I'm about to pass out...but, I don't let it bother me enough to keep me out of the gym. I keep a towel with me to wipe off as much as I can and let the rest be....it takes me a few hours to get back to my normal color. Maybe it's because I'm so pale that I get so red...I don't know. But, I know that if I let that embarrassment stop me, I'd never work out again and I'd be super out of shape.

Oh! I wanted to add that recently I have noticed my face is not as red as it used to be. I have been religiously going to the gym 6 days a week for 1-2 hours for a few months now...and maybe my body is finally adjusting. Who knows. It's still red but not as bad as it used to be.

Hang in there and don't let the worry stop you from taking care of you! :)
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You mean like this? BTW - I was running OUTside and if I remember correctly it was barely 60 (oh and I DO consider myself fit):

292789_3920337162436_575957051_n_zps30d8b20b.jpg

And I can ring my clothes out when I finish running even when it's < 50 degrees outside.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I will also add after I am finished running and the sweat dries...I am covered in white dust all over; face, arms, neck, legs (as far as I can tell, it is salt). If anyone can help with THAT...I would appreciate it.