Reactive Hypoglycemia Diet Help

Options
Hello all! I have been on here for a while and have lost a decent amount of weight...however I feel like I am not taking care of myself. You see, I have reactive hypoglycemia, and I struggle daily with the crashes of blood sugar. I was wondering if anyone else on here who has this condition would be willing to give me examples of their daily food intakes and maybe add me as a friend so that I can really work harder on taking care of myself. This site isn't just about losing weight. It's about being healthy. I think one of my greatest struggles with this is that I am a working mother to a very vibrant/energetic girl and my husbands works...ALOT... so it leaves a lot on me to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    hey there, i may be able to help.

i was officially diagnosed when i was about 17, but didn't notice the effects of the condition on my body/energy levels till i was about 20 (being a teen, right?! immune to everything)

it was really bad when i was overweight, but since i've lost 50-60lbs i'm able to go longer without food and be less crabby when i am hungry.

you can PM me with specific questions if you want, or friend me =) good luck
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My mom is hypoglycemic....I'm not just to note

Would it help to space your food out so you're eating smaller but more frequent meals to keep from crashing?
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am prone to blood sugar crashes, but mostly if I've been eating too much refined sugar. (I have type II Diabetes, controlled with diet and exercise... no medications). I try to avoid it, but when I've eaten one cookie too many or, heaven forbid, maybe some candy, and I crash, I eat a hard candy to get back up to a normal level, then drink juice.... After that I remember how much is sucks and try to just stick with more complex carbs that take longer to digest and more protein. When I've overdone the sugar it can take a couple of days to get back on an even keel eating the right stuff. I LOVE sweets so it's not easy, but I so hate the way hypoglycemia feels that it's very motivating to avoid those simple sugars.
  • fieryred0424
    fieryred0424 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I already space my meals out while i'm at work but I don't think I am eating the right combinations of food for said meals. You see I typically eat (this week for example) 8 am 2 eggs, light greek yogurt, and a piece of fruit for breakfast. I think eat something for a snack that is quick since I am at work typically just a piece of fruit or crackers or something usually around 10. By the time I get in my car at noon to go home for lunch I can already feel my blood sugar dropping. (thank god I only live 5 minutes from my office) I know the generals of this condition but I don't think I am eating the right combinations of food at the right times. I guess I am looking for like examples of meals etc.
  • fieryred0424
    Options
    I am prone to blood sugar crashes, but mostly if I've been eating too much refined sugar. (I have type II Diabetes, controlled with diet and exercise... no medications). I try to avoid it, but when I've eaten one cookie too many or, heaven forbid, maybe some candy, and I crash, I eat a hard candy to get back up to a normal level, then drink juice.... After that I remember how much is sucks and try to just stick with more complex carbs that take longer to digest and more protein. When I've overdone the sugar it can take a couple of days to get back on an even keel eating the right stuff. I LOVE sweets so it's not easy, but I so hate the way hypoglycemia feels that it's very motivating to avoid those simple sugars.

i too struggle with a sweet tooth but have been able to eat yogurt or sugar free popsicle or 1 square dark chocolate or something to curb the craving. It's very hard. I do the same things when I crash but I also throw in a little protein with the juice. This is just becoming a nuissance. I feel like we can't go anywhere without it crashing. Crashed when we were christmas shopping this year and I almost passed out. Thank god for my husband who got me somewhere we could get food/juice to get it back up.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is to have nothing sweet with my morning meal.
  • ahviendha
    Options
    i guess my single concentrated piece of advice is, don't eat anything without a protein accompaniment!
  • fieryred0424
    Options
    i guess my single concentrated piece of advice is, don't eat anything without a protein accompaniment!

any examples of what you eat in a day?
  • Quiggs1982
    Options
    I am also hypoglycemic. I break my meals into smaller meals. Instead of eating three times a day, I eat six times a day. The same amount of calories and everything, just broken into smaller chunks. It keeps my blood sugar from dropping out.
  • ahviendha
    Options
    feel free to check out my diary, it's spotty with consistency around the holidays + weekends, but standard breakfast is eggs, bacon, avocado, hot sauce, and protein shake with milk. on a good day i'm not hungry till lunchtime. i eat lunch, a protein often with a salad, then i'll have 2 afternoon snacks. they'll either be the rest of my big salad, or almonds, or yogurt with fruit, or cottage cheese, or ezekiel bread with almond butter. i eat again at dinner, burgers/fish/chicken with a veggie, and often have a nighttime snack of cereal, or apple and almond butter, or a sweet cause i'm bad :P

when i was heavier i had to eat every 2 hours on the dot or i'd crash hard and be really nasty to be around. since i've lost weight i can go 3-4 hours, and i'll be hungry, but i won't want to rip off someone's head for looking at me wrong. not sure if it's the exercise, or weight loss, or both but i'm doing something right.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have developed reactive hypoglycemia, and I find that I have the most problem when I eat a meal that consists of too many simple carbs. I do much better with frequent smaller meals and sticking with more complex carbs.
  • Crystalclear22
    Options
    I just added you. I have the same issues. Feel free to look at my diary. :)
  • mayb82
    mayb82 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hiya
    I am trying to have unrefined carbs - wholemeal pasta, bread, basmati rice etc, fresh fruit, protein etc - trying to really limit sugars and refined carbs - even down to diluting fruit juice 1:10 water as the sugar is released really quickly. I've found a few almonds really help when I know my blood sugar is going down. Seem to be managing it ok with this and feeling much better than when I was eating what I wanted - and constantly wanting sugar as I was so tired. Hope you find what works for you soon.
  • mindyjo74
    mindyjo74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I too have struggled with this condition for years! I am nurse and know better but was to stubborn to go onto the necessary medication to help. As my hypoglycemia worsened i couldn't stand it any more and went on the medication and I feel great!! I regret putting it off for so long!! I went to a endocrinologist to ensure proper treatment. I highly recommend medication! (Btw, Im not an advocate of taking pills, but this changed my life and how i feel!!) I hope this helps!!! Message me any time if you have any other questions about my treatment!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Angeliize
    Options
    I've been told I have this issue since I lost a lot of weight. I am a picky eater and a restrict my diet because I have a lactose intolerance and a gluten intolerance. I get nauseous if I have too much of either. My dietician sent me a list of foods to eat but most contained lactose and a lot contained gluten or they were foods I just can't eat. My doctor and dietician's solution for now was to always carry sugar tablets on me. Most of my issues are after I exercise or when I go on a long hike.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eat every three to four hours, base your day around nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables, far more veggies than fruit, add in three servings of reduced fat dairy, have protein, fibre and healthy fats at every meal and snack because these slow the digestion and stabilise the blood glucose, limit yourself to small servings of the lowest glycaemic index carbs such as beans, lentils and barley.

Processed wheat, corn/ maize, white potatoes and rice are all fairly high GI so avoid if you can. Spread your calories, macros and meals out through the day fairly evenly or give yourself slightly more when you are very active or at danger times. Never eat carbs on their own unless you are about to keel over, that is the fastest way to have your blood sugar peaks and troughs.

There are no special meals just choose a protein, think of a meal that uses that, or some veggies that you think will work. So if you are having eggs for breakfast the obvious is a vegetable omelette or frittata (check out the Slimming World version using eggs with cottage cheese, hold the starches). Or adapt recipes: if you fancy a vegetable soup for lunch be sure to use a ton of non starchy vegetables, lentils or barley not white potato or bread, include plenty of protein such as meat or cheese.

Nuts and seeds whole or ground are amazing for adding protein, fibre and healthy fats to any meal or snack. If you need the occasional sweet treat you might try a sweetener like xylitol, if you like chocolate use cocoa powder - packed with minerals fibre and healthy fats.

The final thing is manage your stress levels and sleep patterns - maybe try to prioritise urgent v. important, do some relaxation exercises, let others help you with household tasks, practice sleep hygiene. Certain nutrients can help with stress including magnesium and zinc, B vitamins, omega-3s so be sure your diet is nutritious and balanced.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I have severe hypoglycemia. Eat enough. That is #1! If you're not eating enough to fuel your body, you will crash. Also, fiber, protein, more fiber, more protein, rinse, repeat. Fiber is super important for me. It stabilizes my blood sugar better than protein, but protein helps as well.

Complex carbs. Limit simple sugars. Test which fruits and veggies are okay for you. I react very badly to some fruits, but most fruits I'm okay with. Same with veggies - some I cannot tolerate, others are fine.

Also, test yourself with grains. I cannot eat couscous. If I eat it I have a major crash. There are a few other grains that bother me as well.

It's really a lot of trial and error to find what you can eat and what you can't.

Feel free to friend me! I'll answer any questions I can.

P.S. Avoid, or limit, alcohol. It is no good for hypos!
  • melissalandrum
    melissalandrum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from hypoglycemia for over 20 years now. For me a Zone diet works best so, that's what I set my goals for. I'm definitely not perfect, but the closer I get to these goals the better I feel.

My food diary is open, Feel free to check it out for ideas and/or add me as a friend. =)
  • BdBoop
    BdBoop Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this board! I was diagnosed over ten years ago with Reactive Hypoglycemia and it has been a battle. My Dr. at the time said to do Adkins, which is fine for a week or two but awful for a lifetime way to eat. It did not work for me. At this time I do a quasai South Beach but sure could use some help. Looking forward to gleening some good ideas here.