30 day shred questions

Options
Hi

I’ve seen that some of you have had great results with the 30 day shred and I would like to try it too! I have a couple of questions though.

From what I have read I get the impression you need weights for it. I don’t have much cash but would shell out for a cheap set from Argos but I want to make sure I don’t waste my money on something unsuitable, how heavy do the weights need to be? Would an ordinary weight set such as this be OK? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3024399.htm

Also, I don’t have and can’t afford a fitbit or anything like that. What is the best way to log calories burnt whilst doing this? I know it will only be approximate but I would like to put them as something.

I do belly dancing twice a week, and swimming and aqua-aerobics once a week as well as trying to get out for bike rides at the weekend. Do I do the video on days I do these things?

Replies

• DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am currently attempting 30DS for the second time. The first time I did it I had no weights so I used tins of coconut milk which weights 1 pound but I didn't really find them heavy enough. I am now using weights which are 6.6 pounds but they are too heavy for me! The set you have looked at in argos seems pretty good because then you can adjust your weights as you improve. Another free option would be to use water bottles.

I have seen people log the calories burned in different ways. I used the formula in this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/792369-how-do-you-guys-feel-about-jillian-s-response-to-this
    but that give a really low burn.
    This website also gives an estimate:
    www.fitclick.com

I try to do 30DS everyday even if I go running but I find it hard so basically I am trying to do each level in 14 days so that I have a few rest days allowed.

Hope this helps!
  • 2013queen
    Options
    Hi
    I have just started doing it so I cant speak for the results, but I have this
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9014468.htm

I find the weights adequate (damn painful sometimes, cant wait til Im stronger!) and you need a mat anyway.

I dont have a HRM yet, but someone on here said to put it in as 20 mins general circuit training, which works out at 190 cals for me, which seems fair.

I do it regardless of what otehr exercise Im doing, so yesterday for example I did the vid, then went to body pump, then cx worx, then swimming. RAH!

I intend to exercise in some way, be it only that vid, every single day :)
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for answering! I will get some weights on the weekend and let you know how I get on.
  • kullyg
    kullyg Posts: 17
    Options
    I have the same set of dumbells and I need the lightest one for the squat and press and the side lunges, and use the middle ones for the rest. I am on day 7 and am nowhere near advancing to the heaviest weights yet! I also got the Adidas mat which is half price in argos, I definately recommend that. I think its £12.

i have a fitbit, but that doesnt monitor cals burnt during exercise anyway, but I use the following - http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned

I would do the DVD for 30 days, even on your other exercise days, as this is more for toning and shaping your body, and you will notice the difference.

Good luck
  • Annieapple12
    Options
    Thanks - I have one more question.

I am starting this tomorrow and trying to find it on youtube.

I know there are 3 levels. Is the idea that you repeat level 1 over 10 days and then move onto level 2. Or is there a particular workout for each day?

I am a bit scared of this!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I started out with 3 pound hand weights then went up to 5 pounds.
  • megannxx
    megannxx Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You start out on level one and repeat that for 10 days (suggested taking a rest day between each level or when you find needed.).
    I'm currently starting day 4 today, and I'm using 7lb weights (not meaning to brag! Just kinda proud. lol.)

Good luck with it, and hope you stick with it. I hear it can give amazing results!
  • jhner
    jhner Posts: 66
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred back in July/August. I didn't have weights and so I used canned food that equalled about 1.5 pounds a piece. They were too light. I got 5 pound weights toward the end, and was able to use those for most of the workout, although they were too heavy for some parts (no upper body strength whatsoever, working on it). I used a folded towel as my exercise mat. I don't have a heartrate monitor, but read somewhere (can't remember where) Jillian's formula for calculating calories burned and figured it up as general circuit training and gave myself 150 calories burned. You do each level for 10 days before moving on to the next. I've seen people give themselves more days of each level until they felt they'd really mastered the moves, I did it for 10 days each. I did it in about 33 days (had to take a few days off due to sickness), and felt I had really accomplished something- sticking with it like that. I didn't lose much weight, but lost inches and saw improvements in muscle tone. Hope you enjoy it! I hated Jillian by the end.
  • jeaninemckinney
    Options
    I started out with 3 pound hand weights then went up to 5 pounds.

I did the same! :-)
  • denisek80
    denisek80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do mine with 1kg weights (just over 2lbs) which at the moment works great for me, just finished Day 2 today, its a killer but you defo feel like you've worked out
  • Annieapple12
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your helpful responses.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    hey ive just finished day 13 today and i use 2kg weights in each hand. im starting to see mucle toning and i lost 3lbs in my first week. i weighed on day 6 (i started seriously logging) and then on day 13 was chuffed.

i have a HRM and i burnt 180-189 on level 1 and level 2 im burning 205-210
    my stats:- 5ft 8 163pounds

hope this helps