Low Carb Question!

So I eating low carbs to see how it goes. I know it is mostly veggies and and lean meats which I'm ok with but I do love my fruit! Is there any fruits that are fairly low in carbs? And advice on ways to push through the sweet tooth of a low carb diet would be awesome! :D

Replies

• I started the Carb Cycling program about 2 months ago. Being a picky eater with a few food allergies, I modified it for my own personal preferences. I still eat fruit, but only fresh and on the low carb days I only eat it with breakfast. This is the reference chart I use.
    Calorie( per fruit or the portion stated) then Carbohydrates (per fruit or the portion stated)
    Apple (with the peel) 81 21
    Apricot 17 4
    Avocado 306 12
    Banana 105 27
    Blackberries (½ cup) 37 9
    Blackcurrants (½ cup) 36 9
    Blueberries fresh (½ cup) 41 10
    Cherries (½ cup) 52 12
    Cranberries fresh raw (½ cup), 23 6
    Currants Red fresh (½ cup) 31 8
    Dates dried/sugar (½ cup) 280 62
    Date 1 fresh/unsweetened 7 2
    Fig (medium) 37 10
    Gooseberries fresh (½ cup) 34 8
    Grapes (10 medium seedless) 36 9
    Grapefruit (1 medium half) 46 12
    Guava (½ cup) 42 10
    Kiwi (medium) 46 11
    Lemon (with peel) 22 12
    Lime (with peel) 18 10
    Lychees 1 oz. 19 5
    Mango fresh 135 35
    Melon Canteloupe (1 half) 94 22

Melon Honeydew (1 tenth) 46 12
    Nectarine (medium) 67 16
    Olives green (pitted) 1 oz. 33 0.4
    Olives black (pitted) 1 oz. 96 2.5
    Orange 65 16
    Papaya (½ cup cubed) 27 7
    Passion Fruit (medium) 18 4
    Paw Paw 34 7
    Peach 37 10
    Pear (medium) 98 25
    Pineapple fresh (½ cup cubed) 39 10
    Plum 36 9
    Prune (1 dried & pitted) 20 5
    Raisins (dried ½ cup) 110 29
    Raspberry (½ cup) 31 7
    Rhubarb (½ cup cubed) 14 3
    Satsuma 37 9
    Strawberries (½ cup) 23 5
    Tangerine 37 9
    Tomato (large) 26 6
    Tomato Cherry 3 1
    As for the sweets, I also give in to including them in my daily cal/carb count. I try also to only eat them early in the day and watch the portion size. On low carb days I get my fix from a few chocolate kisses or homeade peanut butter balls. I do include baked things like cookies, cupcakes or pie on high carb days but make my own.
    It is working for me. I have lost 10 pounds in 2 months.
  • Thanks so much!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    So I eating low carbs to see how it goes. I know it is mostly veggies and and lean meats which I'm ok with but I do love my fruit! Is there any fruits that are fairly low in carbs? And advice on ways to push through the sweet tooth of a low carb diet would be awesome! :D

A balanced low carb diet is not mostly veggies and lean meats that would be deficient in a raft of nutrients. You need to eat a ton of nuts and seeds if you are not eating grains, beans, lentils or dairy, you also don't mention oily fish. If you cut starchy and sugary carbs you MUST increase your healthy fats accordingly and watch your mineral and fibre intake.

Wherever possible I compare fruits by weight not by cup: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, red and black currants, grapefruit, rhubarb (technically a veg) are some of the lowest. If you are getting cravings eat more protein, fibre, healthy fats and water rich foods all of which confer satiety - really fill yourself up at every meal.
  • rdcphone572
    rdcphone572 Posts: 75 Member
    Congrats! You are trying and that is so important...just don't give up and you will find your right carb level. I did really really low carbs 4 years ago and loss 42 lbs. Yea! Near goal weight that time but had strong cravings after 12 months of real effort and absolutely strict carbs. I found it too difficult at that carb level, fell off totally, and did not stop falling until I was back up 21 lbs. Yikes! I now do fairly low carb but not as strict and am going back down! Down even though I wasn't really on plan from Nov 15 to Jan 1. It has been so much easier this time. I don't eat most white foods - flour, rice, bread, etc. I don't drink sugary drinks. I do eat fruits but mostly berries and an occasional apple. I enjoy fruit with low sugar yogurt for breakfast. When I eat fruit, I eat it before 7 pm which is my personal cut off time for anything particularly higher glycemic. Diabetes runs in my family and although I am not diabetic I do believe that I cannot handle a lot of sugar and carbs. I am mentally clearer and more energetic when I reduce the carbs. My blood pressure is lower and my other numbers improve without a lot of unbearable changes. My annual doctor visit is much more pleasant! LOL! I do eat a good bit of nuts for snacks, I eat dark chocolate for a treat, I always eat breakfast (even it is just a boiled egg in the car on the way to work), and I allow myself 1 cheat day per month usually the first Saturday as an outing dinner. Cheat days are days when I can eat up to double my carb daily goal if I really want...usually I don't want it. An extreme cheat day is a kids meal at a fast food chain or a couple of thin crust pizza slices. I try not to eat any of that fast fried junk more than once in a quarter. I really don't miss it now that I have been back lower carb for 9 months. I have only had it twice in 9 months. Dark chocolate is my personal sweet treat and I try to get it at least 70% cocoa. I sometimes have sugar free chocolate jello pudding with sugar free cream on top. I watch my calories every day with my phone tracker but that is seldom if ever a problem on low carb. Calories were impossible for me to maintain when eating higher carbs. I was always hungry on higher carb foods and the cravings increased the more I ate. I walk for exercise. I just get up from my desk and walk around for 15 to 30 minutes a day. No special equipment and no particular location. I think more exercise would be better and have that as a goal for this year. I wish you joy on your journey and am hopeful you are blessed to reach your life goal weight on low carb or however you find that works for you. Just keep trying and you will find the right balance.