Hard boiled eggs- too much cholesterol?

Options
Is it true that hard boiled eggs have too much of cholesterol? I didn't notice it till now but recently I started keeping a check on my cholesterol and sodium intake and it says that 2 hard boiled eggs have 424 mg (not sure about its unit) and my goal is of 300 mg. I generally eat 2 hard boiled eggs everyday after my workout or for dinner. Is it too bad for my health? Should I continue eating two large hard boiled eggs everyday or no? (I really love hard boiled eggs cause they are sort of stomach fulfilling and they help me to be under my calorie goal too) What should I do?

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You're fine, keep eating those eggs. I know people who eat way more than 2 eggs and day and don't have cholesterol issues.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    my cardiologist told me that it's fine to eat eggs as long as you don't already have high cholesterol. I used to eat 4+ eggs a day and I was fine, my cholesterol only started to become slightly elevated when my boyfriend started doing the grocery shopping and we converted to butter and 1-2% milk lol.
  • justme9717
    Options
    lol, okay...I just don't want it to be a reason for no weight loss after all
  • JennsPups
    Options
    As long as you don't already have high cholesterol you should be fine. I eat one or two eggs a day myself.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Move to Canada, we don't have a restriction on dietary cholesterol. :happy:
  • LisaAvasNana
    LisaAvasNana Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think 2 eggs are good. My problem is I don't want to waste my protein on eggs! LOL
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about that, then don’t eat one of the yolks or completely stick to egg whites.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    i remember reading somewhere that the cholesterol in eggs does not convert to cholesterol in your body. I believe it is the saturated fat in the egg yolk you need to watch out for. So as long as your fats aren't too high, or are mostly healthy fats, this should be okay.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    i remember reading somewhere that the cholesterol in eggs does not convert to cholesterol in your body. I believe it is the saturated fat in the egg yolk you need to watch out for. So as long as your fats aren't too high, or are mostly healthy fats, this should be okay.
    Somewhat true. Dietary cholesterol is what's called unesterified cholesterol which generally gets disposed of in our stool and why in most cases dietary cholesterol doesn't effect our blood cholesterol levels. The liver makes most of the cholesterol that circulates through the blood. Saturated fat increases both HDL and LDL cholesterol and that is thought to be bad.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    RN here. You are fine eating the eggs. Like a couple others said, unless you already have high cholesterol, it's ok.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Somewhat true. Dietary cholesterol is what's called unesterified cholesterol which generally gets disposed of in our stool and why in most cases dietary cholesterol doesn't effect our blood cholesterol levels. The liver makes most of the cholesterol that circulates through the blood. Saturated fat increases both HDL and LDL cholesterol and that is thought to be bad.

QFT

Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on blood cholesterol level.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    The truth is they don't actually know if cholesterol in eggs equates to high cholesterol in humans. It does seem that it's not the problem.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Adding one more vote to the 'it's fine as long as you do not already have high cholesterol' sentiment.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 eggs a day, sometimes more. Eggs have gotten a bad rap. They are great for your health and it is a myth that you shouldn't eat so many or that they increase your bad cholesterol. My doctor just checked my cholesterol and said both cholesterol readings were the best she has seen from someone for a long, long time.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Is it true that hard boiled eggs have too much of cholesterol? I didn't notice it till now but recently I started keeping a check on my cholesterol and sodium intake and it says that 2 hard boiled eggs have 424 mg (not sure about its unit) and my goal is of 300 mg. I generally eat 2 hard boiled eggs everyday after my workout or for dinner. Is it too bad for my health? Should I continue eating two large hard boiled eggs everyday or no? (I really love hard boiled eggs cause they are sort of stomach fulfilling and they help me to be under my calorie goal too) What should I do?
    you're fine with eggs, they actually have great protein and some healthy fats in them. They got a back rap over the years but can be a really addition to your food diary.

As others said, if you have cholesterol issues now you might check with your doc otherwise, enjoy!:drinker:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I eat tons of eggs, oftentimes more than 2 a day, and my cholesterol is textbook. It is my personal opinion, based on a lot of research, that much struggle with weight lies in too many processed products including and especially sugar and flours. Your body loves and needs healthy fats and protein though. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    IMPORTANT- MYTH BUSTED:

Even with high cholesterol you can eat whole eggs. Studies showed no appreciable increase in bad cholesterol (HDL) after massive increases in egg consumption. Cherry Healey even did a bbc show about this -- busting the common myth. This is because eating one food item with higher fats and cholesterol doesn't mean its fats go straight into your bloodstream. Instead, your cholesterol depends on how much total cholesterol and fats you have in your diet. So as long as you're eating an overall lower fat, lower cholesterol diet, having lots of eggs is fine!
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    I just had a complete physical and actually asked my doctor this because hard boiled eggs are so convenient on work mornings for me. My cholesterol is really good so he told me 2 eggs a day is just fine. On the weekends I usually have something else. So I guess it depends on your own cholesterol. Good Luck.
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My cholestorol was trending high (just over 200). After cutting carbs and eating more protein including 2 eggs every morning, my cholestorol has dropped substantially (161)