What is your gym workout?

Options
So I have been on the weight loss journey before-when it went well I would typically go to aerobic classes at the gym. My new gym doesn't offer that (changing is not an option) . So I now go to the gym and just do cardio.

I was curious about other gym workouts. What do you do? For how long and at what speed? Like right now I ride the staionary bike for 15 minutes to warm up. Then a 30 minute treadmill at 3.5. four times a week. My plan is to add weight training gradually.

So what is your gym workout like?

Replies

• pzzy4c
    pzzy4c Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi

My gym workout when I can make it is weight training. Recently purchased a book THe Big Book of Excercise for Women. There is one for men as well. It has some excellant advice and good pictures along with plans to make it work. What I haven;t been doing is th ecardio but this book suggests: warmup, weight training and then cardio. Going to try it the next time I'm able to make it to the gym.

Good luck on your journey!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill at home. I try to do 45-60 min of cardio per day (with one or two days off a week). During that time I switch up 10 minutes of a 5 mph jog (will build up the time slowly) and interval training of 3-3.5 mph and bursts of 7-7.5mph. I also add some incline walking in there too some days. I basically switch it up alot so I don't get too bored on the treadmill. I also mix in some toning videos and strength training here in there. I'm mostly focusing on cardio right now though.
  • misssoulm8
    Options
    I bought an elliptical, and I go to Curves. I don't do either consistently but I'm working on it. Good luck to you! :happy:
  • katrinaledet
    Options
    in addition to my cardio I do and ab workout on the ball usually and then squats on the ball and lunges with 5 pound weights. I also do swimming to wrap it up, I swim laps for 20 minutes, it is a very nice cool down exercise. Good luck to you, hope this was a little helpful for you.
  • melaura
    melaura Posts: 7
    Options
    hey, since my work schedule is right in the middle of the day I try to workout in the am before work. Now when I'm at work I am also able to workout because I'm an AT (Activity Therapy) at a juvenile correctional facility. I ride the stationary bike, walk laps inside the gym and outside in the court yard, I can lift weights and I play bocce ball with the YR's (youth residents). When I get home I try to go downstairs and workout on my glider for 15-20 minutes increasing the time every now and then and working out with the weight machine every other day or so. I also include ANY kind of daily activity that's beyond sitting on the couch. Like working in the garden (great calorie burner), yard work, house work. One of my all time favorite things to do is put on my jock jams CD and dance around the house like an idiot (thank GOD nobody else is home), some times I also do some aerobics while giggling around my house.
    It's not much but it's all I got :)
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i use the kettlenetics i have at home :) that is my great workout its dancing also :) so its fun, and boy do ya sweat :D
    also, i walk outside if it is a sunny day, even when its cloudy. but not when its pour down raining. if it is that way i stick with my kettlenetics :) at least that one also have a cardio exercise so i can be inside or outside.
    i have a easy body shapper but my mom wants to return it and i havent even had the chance to use it yet. D:
    that is great for weight lifting instead of going to the gym.
    also im gonna soon get one of those stretchy so i can do my muscle body part that i need to work on more than the others :)
    it will be all fun and great :D i used to dance a lot and did judo D: i missed it!!! once i get more money i might get back into judo and ill be more fitter this time :D
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    sry for the usage of space and double post D:
  • Sonjaw
    Sonjaw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go everyday for about 1 1/2 hour and for the next 2 months I am on an 1,000 calorie diet ...... it's working pretty well before I joined I had already lost 15lbs!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My workout is different every day.
    www.crossfit.com
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have a strength training routine I do at the gym - which is 15-25 reps at 15-25 lbs. on all the arm machines except one, including bench pressing 10 lbs., same reps & weight for all the leg machines. I also do squats with the barbell at 15 lbs., bicep curls and some lateral shoulder moves both with dumbbells. After that, I usually get on the elliptical or treadmill for about 20 minutes and try to burn at least 200 calories.

On only cardio days, I usually get on the elliptical and try to burn 300-400 calories or run outside and aim for at least 200 calories (which I've done 3x this week - gonna probably give it a rest the rest of the week. Oie! Sore.)

On strength days when I don't go to the gym, I use 8 minutes to Slim from Self.com or do regular lunges and squats, bicep curls, lateral shoulder, some arm workouts with my resistance bands, crunches, and hip raises. Then I usually take my dog for a walk for 30 minutes and try to burn at least 200 calories.

I work out 6x/week and my weekly calorie burn is 1,590 but I usually hit about 2,000 on a good week.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I tend to do 5 miles on treadmill, couple of miles on elliptical and finish off with 2000 meters on Rowing machine.
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! They really helped. I guess I am trying to make sure this this time in my weight loss journey it is a TRUE lifestyle change and not a "Diet". I am trying to find a routine that I will really stick with it. Being a mom and a principal I know it is unrealistic that I would go to the gym every day so while i know it slows down the weight loss process I guess I will have to be okay with three or four days a week. It sounds like there is a variety fo things going on.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I tend to break mine up. I meet with a personal trainer for two half hour sessions one on tuesday and one on friday for strength training. I do core work out at least 3 times a week and cardio 5 days a week. At minium I do 30 minutes on treadmill at 3.0 but that is usually just on my lazy day. I am up to doing 4.0 for 5 mins followed by 4.5 for 10 minutes with some spurts of 5.0 for a minute intervals. I prefer the treadmill over eliptical or bike but ever once in awhile i will use on of those. I don't want to get board so I try to change things up if just by speed.
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    My normal routine (5-6 days a week) is: I go for a 1 mile walk every day with the dog and my daughter. I work the night shift so I get an hour break everyday and we have a gym at my work. I go to the gym and do 15-20 (sometimes more depending on the day) on either the Stationary bike, eliptical, or treadmill. I switch it up everyday to keep my body guessing. Then I do weight lifting. 2-3 sets of 25 at 20 lbs. I also do several sets of the dip bars. Finishing up with 50-100 crunches to work on the little belly pouch going on. It keeps me motivated and I try to change it up. I might start with the crunches, then the weights, the cardio. Just different ways of doing it. Each week I add a couple more minutes or reps to each routine to keep up the pace. Your body starts to get used to a routine and tends to keep at the same weight, size, etc if you do the same thing every day. It gets used to it. Hope this helps.
  • aliensheep0
    Options
    I split my routine up based on the day of week. Monday and thursday, I would out upper body. I start off with 35 minutes on the elliptical, then do some upper body stretches. I move on to weight lifting: chest, shoulders, upper back, biceps and triceps. Tuesdays and Fridays, I work out lower body. Again 35 minutes on the elliptical, stretches, then weight lifting: leg press, quads, hamstring, calf, inner and out thigh and glutes. on Wednesday and Saturday, I start with 21 minutes of cardio, then do my core work outs: Abs, Obliques, and lower back. then I do another 21 minutes of cardio. Sunday I rest.