Something extra for breakfast

Options
My typical breakfast these days is porridge oats with almond milk and sliced banana which comes in at around 320 calories. However I tend to have loads of calories left over after my evening meal so end up snacking on chocolate to try and hit my goal (I'm on maintenance) so trying to get into the habit of eating more throughout the day. What else can I eat, preferably protein based, to make it up to about 500 cals? Dont eat meat so no bacon or anything, thanks.

Replies

• readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I throw Chia seeds and nuts in my morning oatmeal
  • AMaverickRenegade
    AMaverickRenegade Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Two eggs scrambled in a little butter would get you there. Or maybe some toast with peanut butter.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Fried eggs on cheese toast.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    What other nutrients or food groups are you low on given you don't eat milk or possibly dairy and are struggling to hit your calorie goal? Have you counted number of servings from each group recently, checked you are getting all the vitamins, minerals and omega-3s you need for your activity level?

Options include omega-enriched eggs, whole nuts, ground seeds, a protein powder, peanut flour. Try to have two servings of fruit at breakfast maybe some dark berries if you don't eat much blue/ purple produce, having one serving can make it tough to hit nine over the day.
  • dominoid747
    dominoid747 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a source of protein is probably quite the right route to be going. I've found that having a decent amount of protein in my breakfast helps keep me more full through the day so I don't feel the need to snack as much as I used to.

Going by the use of almond milk and the lack of meat, are you Vegan? If so I'd suggest perhaps a little peanut butter on a slice of toast would give you another 150 calories or so and help keep you full.

If not then I always like to add in either an egg or two or a whey protein shake depending on whether I fancy sweet or savoury.
  • tiger625
    Options
    I have been eating egg sandwiches for snack. 1 high fiber english muffin, egg, cheese, butter if you need extra calories. If you are in a rush put some egg substitute or whites in a coffee mug. Microwave the eggs for about a minute covered with a paper towel. This makes a nice circle shaped egg.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    What other nutrients or food groups are you low on given you don't eat milk or possibly dairy and are struggling to hit your calorie goal? Have you counted number of servings from each group recently, checked you are getting all the vitamins, minerals and omega-3s you need for your activity level?

Options include omega-enriched eggs, whole nuts, ground seeds, a protein powder, peanut flour. Try to have two servings of fruit at breakfast maybe some dark berries if you don't eat much blue/ purple produce, having one serving can make it tough to hit nine over the day.

Hi, should've added that I do eat dairy but drink whole milk so prefer to keep that for tea and other things, also tend to snack on nuts and fruit throughout the day.
    Might include eggs more daily...if I cook a few hard boiled eggs off at a time, how long would they keep in the fridge, anyone know?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hi, should've added that I do eat dairy but drink whole milk so prefer to keep that for tea and other things, also tend to snack on nuts and fruit throughout the day.
    Might include eggs more daily...if I cook a few hard boiled eggs off at a time, how long would they keep in the fridge, anyone know?

You can't get the recommended three servings of milk per day in tea, even my mother doesn't manage that and she drinks nothing else! Are you having hard cheese? A serving is only about 30g so it's an easy hit. Eggs keep quite a few days hard boiled if they started out reasonably fresh, you leave the shells on and cool them fast after cooking.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Add a small handful of walnuts, some plain Greek yogurt, and a drizzle of honey to your oatmeal - adds protein and healthy calories and tastes amazing - sprinkle on cinnamon for more amazingness. :bigsmile: