FitBit - Opinions Needed

Options
I'm looking into getting a FitBit to help with my fitness goals. Does anyone have one or a product similar? What is the right way to go. I'm severely overweight and just starting out on a fitness and diet plan and am looking for any helpful suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one. It really is motivational. I take more steps and nowadays always take the stairs so that I can see it on my fitbit count for the day! Plus the fitbit integrates with another site called neufit-it's sort of like a video game-like site with walking and stepping challenges. On days when I feel lazy and unmotivated, the combination of fitbit and the neufit site has always pushed me to get myself moving.
    It's hard to get up and go exercise/walking some days even though it's good for me. On those days, my competitive side drives me to get my step count so that I top my fitbit friends.
    You could always try it for 30 days-bestbuy has it and return it if you don't like it.
  • emlee01
    emlee01 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been using a FitBit for about two years to help with weight loss and later weight maintenance. I started off using it to help me track my goal of 10K steps / day. There were many nights that I walked a circuit around the block or hopped on the treadmill to "get in my 10K". I don't think I would have been as dedicated without my FitBit as a constant reminder and using the website to track my progress on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. I've synced that output to MyFitnessPals and now I have the best of both for tracking AND support.

To my mind, the most important thing is not the gadget but YOU and your willingness to make real changes to your lifestyle in order to meet your goals. If you are "severely overweight", I hope you are checking in with your physician (and maybe a nutritionist). You've probably heard this before, but "don't try to do it all at once." From small beginnings (and reasonable goals), great things can happen!

There's a great community of folks here willing to support you in your journey. All the best to you!
  • MartiTennisMom
    Options
    I just got a Jawbone Up, which you wear on your wrist instead of attached like the fitbit. I like that it's worn on the wrist, but it doesn't integrate with MyFitnessPal like fitbit does.
  • kenduerden
    Options
    Hi

Fitbit is well worth the money as it really can motivate you towards your goals. My wife and I have had ours for about 2 weeks now and there is no doubt we have done more exercise as a result. I went for the enhanced stats plan but to be honest I don't think its worth it, especially if you link your fitbit to myfitnesspal.

Good luck on your journey.