calories vs fat vs carbs

Options
If I eat over my calorie allowance but still have carbs and fat allowance left - will these balance each other out? Or is it all about the calories? Thanks in advance for any responses x

Replies

• RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    IMHO - I don't think it is all about calories. It's a combination of the 'healthiness' of the food you eat. A lot of fruits/veggies have low calorie counts but high fat/carbs counts but if you look deeper, you'll see that the fat/carbs from the fruits/veggies is actually better for you than some other things. You just have to eat healthier. Again, this is all my opinion.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    In this context, it is all about calories. You do want to try and stay within your macros (carbs, fat) but if you are over your calories, you are over your calories. Being under in your macros does not balance that out in relation to weight loss.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I think it boils down mostly to calories, but I also believe it depends a bit on your food.

I would feel MUCH better about going over a bit but having eaten good food, than I would about staying at or under calorie goal eating nothing but empty carbs and bad food!

If you went over calories but not over on carbs and fats, it sounds like you ate more protein. I think if I'd rather go over on anything, it would be protein (and I'm always over on my proteins).
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    But you can eat very healthfully and gain weight by eating more than you need (I.e., calories). In the end, just regarding weight loss, it is all about calories. Of course, health involves other considerations, but you still can't eat more than you need and lose weight. Just ain't gonna happen.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Eating over your calorie allowance is what will hinder weight loss.

It is good to try to balance the macros, but for weight loss, the calorie intake is the deciding factor.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It's my opinion and has been my experience that weight control is about the calories, staying within your macros (fats, carbs, etc) is for good health and nutrition. A continuous calorie deficit will result in eventual weight loss. I started out only focusing on staying at or below my daily calorie goal, now I'm paying more attention to the other macros as well for better overall health.
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Its calories in vs calories out.

BUT, try to avoid "empty" calories, eat nutrient-dense foods that your body needs. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, etc. Its okay if you have a craving to eat what you want, but just not all the time. The good food has to outweigh the bad food.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, it's all about the number of calories. Not macros, not good food versus bad food. Just the calories. If you're over you will gain, if your under you will lose. Period.
    [/end thread]